Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

Silversea Cruises

Read Silversea Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you.

Find Your Silversea Roll Call

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:16 AM.
UK
8,185 Posts
Joined May 2012
Thanks for the kind words about my rustic poisson. You have to work hard on ruining fresh fish so thankfully wifey enjoyed it.

Re the other gentleman. It is still difficult to make sense of him. Us Brits may sometimes seem over-egged when it comes to respecting the Queen, but I have never seen another leader walk in front of the Queen when for example inspecting troops and leave her walking behind. He would have been briefed on protocol. It looked like the Queen tried to coax him on her left hand side so he could inspect the troops, but he then ignored her and instead simply stuck his chin out and marched on in front of her regardless. He does not outrank our Queen. But even then he ignored the troops and didn’t even look at them. It was disrespectful and made an honour completely pointless and meaningless.

What on earth do we make of Helsinki. There is one thing however he has achieved. It has been said that he is divisive. Has he not managed to orchestrate and reconcile a unison of almost all sides against him except previously considered enemies,who think him great.

How long will this continue for? Is there going to be a sort of sudden emergence of several bits of historical truths come home to roost and emerge and present an irresistable change? Can any Americans give us uninformed Brits an idea of how all this will end?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeff

Scandinavian living in UK
933 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
That's amazing, Mysty!

Jeff, would you mind talking to me a little about Singapore?
I'll be there pre-cruise in December, will have 3 days there. I've been before and stayed in the Mandarin Oriental that time. I'd like to stay somewhere different this time and the Intercontinental sounds good. What room type would you recommend? (I would go for Club level for sure) The 'Heritage' building or the new bit?
I will eat outside of the hotel for dinner, but will be working so I expect I'll be having lunch in the hotel, what are the hotel restaurants like?

I very likely won't be up for much sightseeing, the jet lag will knock me for six as it usually does when I fly that direction!
UK
8,185 Posts
Joined May 2012
Hi,

With respect to rooms and suites, views are polarised. The Heritage rooms and suites look over a covered mall. However the shops close and it is very quiet at night. If you are booking a club room you may be better in the tower with the views over the town. We really don’t look out of the window because we have the private garden which we really use. We book these suites because of the garden.

If however you might pay more and choose a suite then we prefer the Heritage suites because they have a small garden and part of the garden is under cover so you can sit and watch the inevitsble storm or eat there if you ask them to put a table and chairs in the garden. We always take a Heritage suite and are sometimes offered The Presidential Suite but still insist on a Heritage one which they find mystifying.

I’m away from base at the moment and on an ipad so providing links easn’t easy. If you search on my name and “Singapore” you will find several sort of daily blogs of life in Singapore during several of our stays. You’ll need to faff a bit to find them and then go back to the start. if you search through the coolers for jan/feb 2017 and jan/feb and september 2016 you will find piccies and blogs. One year recently we had 3 three week visits within a twelve month span.

I rarely eat in the hotel with Singapore outside. and there are literally hundreds of places within 100 yards and dozens in the adjoining mall.

After you’ve found the blogs and if you have questions ahappy,to help.

ps ... tonight was curry again .....

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeff

Scandinavian living in UK
933 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Thanks Jeff, very helpful.
I'll search and read more tomorrow. Good to know there's a wide selection of places to eat close by, I may be able to slip out for lunch in that case.
Will be back with questions at some point in the next couple of days when I've read up on your previous posts.