Luggage Transport and Storage Post-Cruise

envirochick

Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping to get some suggestions for my dilemma. We end up in Seward after our cruise. We have an opportunity to do a brown bear fly and stay at a lodge in Lake Clark NP. They will shuttle us to the plane in Soldotna and we return to Anchorage the next day. We don't want to take all of our luggage with us (and might not be able to), instead we'd like to take 2 backpacks with a couple of days' clothes. Is there any type of service that would shuttle luggage to a hotel? Either in Anchorage or on the Kenai (as we may come back to better explore this area after landing in Anchorage)? I'm happy for the opportunity to take advantage of someone cancelling their trip to the lodge, yet, I'm not quite sure how to make it work. Thanks much for your help.

If you are coming back to "explore" the "Kenai"?? Why not just do that first, get to Anchorage, and do your tour from there? It's almost a 3 hour transit from Seward, to Soldotna, so you won't be getting to bear viewing, early enough for my preferences. You then leave the next day?? When? Superior is 2 nights and my minimum .

Staying with this current plan, also contact PJ's taxi, since the run to Anchorage frequently, may be an option to transport?

Seward is a gem, and certainly worthwhile to take advantage of being there as well.

Wow. Thanks to both. Had no idea there might be any options. So the boat disembarks at 7. It’s a small ship so I anticipate less hassle factor. The lodge pegs drive time from Seward to Soldotna at just under 2 hours, getting there right around 9 am, which is the normal time for take off. (All based on lodge operators info). Is 2 hours not correct?

We came into this Alaska trip late, so these lodges are sold out and we feel lucky there was a cancellation. I’m following your advice BQueen: you need at least an overnight. We don’t have time for 2.

That said, before this came up we planned on spending a couple days on the Kenai, then heading towards anchorage. We have 4 full days, but need to bunk in anchorage on the last night.

We also have the option of leaving for bear country the day after we arrive in Seward. This is good and bad. We’d still need a place store luggage. Renting a car would be tough if we leave from Soldotna and fly back to anchorage. I’d still need the lodge to drive us to the plane, which would likely mean little time in Seward and staying in Soldotna overnight. If I’m going to blow a day, I’m thinking I’d rather do it driving from anchorage back to Kenai. At least the rental car will be reasonable and the drive would be scenic.

Anyway, I just off loaded a bunch...does it change anything?

I would be seriously concerned about that two hour window to get to Soldotna. I looked up Lake Clark NP so I can see how you would be so excited to go there...but wow...that's a tight travel schedule you have there.

If your tour is guaranteeing your travel...that's one thing. If they are in charge of waiting for you to get off the ship and deal with your luggage...and then have the plane wait for you in Soldotna...then I guess there's no issue.

Check out a map. We stayed near Engineer Lake which is close to Skilak Lake along the Sterling Highway, which is the road to Soldotna. Now we did have to travel on some gravel roads...but it was a 90+ minute drive to Seward from there. And we saw that there was construction on that highway past our turn off on Lake Skilak Road.

The thing to keep in mind is that you don't drive fast on these roads. You MIGHT, but there are often RVs and buses and shuttles that are toddling along. Signs are posted everywhere saying that if vehicles have 5 or more cars behind them...they have to pull over to let those cars pass. So you can get slowed by these slow vehicles. Also...Sterling Highway may say it's a highway...but it's a two lane road...going through several places where there are roadside lodges and excursions outlets and other businesses for which people will be stopped to make a turn to get to...and so you could be stopped too waiting for them to be able to make the turn across traffic.

You are leaving NO TIME to hit a potty on that drive!

Or if you are...you are just making it that much longer...

SO, as I said...that window for travel is TIGHT. OMG. Having driven that road...I would be nervous if I had to be sure to make that schedule. Not a problem I guess if they are the ones saying what they will do FOR YOU and you just go along for the ride.

The car service from Seward to Soldotna is arranged by the lodge, as is the flight. Therefore, it is my understanding the plane waits for us.

On a bit different note I just, stupidly, googled “Alaska flightseeing plane crashes” and freaked myself out a little. [emoji50]

Wow. Thanks to both. Had no idea there might be any options. So the boat disembarks at 7. It’s a small ship so I anticipate less hassle factor. The lodge pegs drive time from Seward to Soldotna at just under 2 hours, getting there right around 9 am, which is the normal time for take off. (All based on lodge operators info). Is 2 hours not correct?

We came into this Alaska trip late, so these lodges are sold out and we feel lucky there was a cancellation. I’m following your advice BQueen: you need at least an overnight. We don’t have time for 2.

That said, before this came up we planned on spending a couple days on the Kenai, then heading towards anchorage. We have 4 full days, but need to bunk in anchorage on the last night.

We also have the option of leaving for bear country the day after we arrive in Seward. This is good and bad. We’d still need a place store luggage. Renting a car would be tough if we leave from Soldotna and fly back to anchorage. I’d still need the lodge to drive us to the plane, which would likely mean little time in Seward and staying in Soldotna overnight. If I’m going to blow a day, I’m thinking I’d rather do it driving from anchorage back to Kenai. At least the rental car will be reasonable and the drive would be scenic.

The lodge people probably know what they are talking about on the time from Seward to Soldotna since they evidently do it regularly. I have friends who live in Seward - on a road trip last year we left Soldotna at 9:00 AM and were at their house in Seward before 11:00 AM without speeding. It's about 91 miles. Good luck!

Have you looked into car rentals? IF your flight vendor is out of Soldotna, then I'd suggest a round trip flight, and then you can add Homer, easily with a car. Rent a round trip car from Hertz, out of Seward. Then you can add touring Seward as well.

As mentioned above, "time" is more unpredictable. Bear tours, can and do get delayed for hours, another reason, I don't consider single days/nights. I've driven the Sterling when stopped and told the road would be closed for 4 hours due to blasting. :) I seem to always, miss pilot cars as well. :)

You mention, you can go either day on the bear tour? How is it you don't have time for 2 nights? If the case, I'd just work on the luggage issue.

You have 4 full days, with leaving the late evening of the 4th day?

You should be fine with the current trans, since the vendor is providing it. A final comment, you know where you are going? There are lessor peak areas, that I would not consider .

Edited by Budget Queen

Have you looked into car rentals? IF your flight vendor is out of Soldotna, then I'd suggest a round trip flight, and then you can add Homer, easily with a car. Rent a round trip car from Hertz, out of Seward. Then you can add touring Seward as well.

As mentioned above, "time" is more unpredictable. Bear tours, can and do get delayed for hours, another reason, I don't consider single days/nights. I've driven the Sterling when stopped and told the road would be closed for 4 hours due to blasting. :) I seem to always, miss pilot cars as well. :)

You mention, you can go either day on the bear tour? How is it you don't have time for 2 nights? If the case, I'd just work on the luggage issue.

You have 4 full days, with leaving the late evening of the 4th day?

You should be fine with the current trans, since the vendor is providing it. A final comment, you know where you are going? There are lessor peak areas, that I would not consider .

Hello,

So, we’ve made our reservations and are thankful for the help here.

The luggage lady was an excellent, affordable find. A car will pick us up and take us to Soldotna for the flight. We’ll stay one night and have the following day as a back up. Car rental isn’t an option since the return is to Anchorage (evidently a flight is already lined up with other passengers). If we make it out the first day, we’ll rent a car and have a couple more days to play before heading home.

And we do have 4 full days, leaving the 5th day, early in the morning from anchorage.

Just wanted to add something else...while this excursion causes some backtracking, and doesn’t make for a perfect itinerary, lack of perfection is one thing we’ve learned to live with on our vacations. Most often our journeys (and the kinks that come with them) lead to great adventures that we cherish.