Wine in MDR

Doughboy

Is there a wine or drink list for the MDR? Occasionally, I like a glass of wine with dinner.

Yup. There's a reasonably extensive wine list in the MDR. You can buy many by the glass, and all by the bottle.

There's no cocktail list in the MDR, you can check out the cocktail lists at the bar beforehand, or if you know what cocktail/drink you want - order away. There's a full bar available in MDR.

This is over 4 years old but will give you an idea of the prices for the limited wine by the glass options. Vines has better options & you could carry it to a dining room.

These are from January of 2014.

MDR and Bars:

cnxOSiaN4U_eWWlahngpHZBHpx9jjIF6O5CZsfJMCiU=w575-h855-no

Vines:

gIHiXeaAPm5ntDn7TG77mRGDfFfnmCGdJXN1kUtJ_Sk=w312-h855-noyJR9V4QoYsakHiGykDyrmDBeUSsQIJGQXjV28NoBZpg=w317-h855-no

A link to an Excel document for a recent wine list and a price comparison between the net cost to purchase wine onboard vs. onshore.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=412023&d=1510903877

and if you buy a bottle and don't drink it all, they will label it with your room number and keep it for the next night (or the next time you go to the MDR).

That’s another reason why we get a bottle instead of a glass of wine...more choices at a lower price that they’ll store for another evening.

and if you buy a bottle and don't drink it all, they will label it with your room number and keep it for the next night (or the next time you go to the MDR).

Also can be retrieved if you go to a specialty restaurant.

This is over 4 years old but will give you an idea of the prices for the limited wine by the glass options. Vines has better options & you could carry it to a dining room.

A link to an Excel document for a recent wine list and a price comparison between the net cost to purchase wine onboard vs. onshore.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=412023&d=1510903877

The Wine List from last November still has the same wines but the costs are now $7 and $8.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You may find that a wine you loved in Vines has been sitting in a previously opened bottle for "a bit too long" in MDR... Been there. Done that. Great in Vines. Corked in MDR.

• 1 month later...

The 2017 wine list spreadsheet states this

MAITRE D' SPECIALS wine price Off the List - These will vary by cruise

with a bottle of Merlot, for instance on a Crown November cruise, priced at $21.60 plus 15% tip.

As it says 'off list' how do you order a bottle, is it just a case of asking the waiter what the MAITRE D' SPECIALS are?

The 2017 wine list spreadsheet states this

MAITRE D' SPECIALS wine price Off the List - These will vary by cruise

with a bottle of Merlot, for instance on a Crown November cruise, priced at $21.60 plus 15% tip.

As it says 'off list' how do you order a bottle, is it just a case of asking the waiter what the MAITRE D' SPECIALS are?

As I recall the wine list will have those specials listed at the beginning of the wine list.

The Fall 2017 cruise before my cruise had a delay in the arrival of a container with wine to resupply wine inventory. Thus they purchased wine in Italy for the preceding cruise & still having some available they added it on the last page of the wine list for my cruise. So in addition to everything on their standard wine list available, there were extra Italian wines which I enjoyed using a wine package.

You may find that a wine you loved in Vines has been sitting in a previously opened bottle for "a bit too long" in MDR... Been there. Done that. Great in Vines. Corked in MDR.

Ah Thrak, you just brought back a memory of my brother. At the wedding of our niece, the wedding favor was a beautiful crystal and stainless steel wine stopper. Hank asked me, I being the most gullible, what it was. When I explained it was to keep unfinished wine from spoiling he, of course, said that he had never actually seen a bottle of unfinished wine. Thanks for the memory.

If I have ordered a bottle of wine at the table and by the end of the meal I have still got quite a full glass that I don't

want to gulp down is it OK to walk out of the MDR with it to sit in a lounge/theatre to finish off at leisure? I suppose what

I am thinking of does the waiter have to account for X number of glasses placed on tables so he must have X number of glasses

at the end of service.

Also for wine I take on board for consumption in my stateroom is it best to get glasses from my stateroom steward or just ask at a bar?

to my limited knowledge ( which my followers will readily agree with the limited, and make corrections ) except for the 'special stemware' from Vines, you can take any glass/drink from any venue to anywhere on the ship (ok, maybe not hot tubs...but I have seen multiple people drinking in those )

vines will take your unfinished wine and pour it into another glass if you want to take it out of Vines

A week or two ago I got an email from princess about rolling out new and better wines this fall. I couldn’t get details tho.

My husband and I also like a glass with dinner and what we do is purchase a bottle from the vines - which has nicer wine than MDR. We take it to dining room and they keep it for us when we want that glass.

Enjoy your cruise:):):)

If I have ordered a bottle of wine at the table and by the end of the meal I have still got quite a full glass that I don't

want to gulp down is it OK to walk out of the MDR with it to sit in a lounge/theatre to finish off at leisure? I suppose what

I am thinking of does the waiter have to account for X number of glasses placed on tables so he must have X number of glasses

at the end of service.

Also for wine I take on board for consumption in my stateroom is it best to get glasses from my stateroom steward or just ask at a bar?

Because you purchased a bottle of wine in the dining room you can drink it anywhere so you can take a glass with you to drink elsewhere. Another option is they can store remaining wine for another time & even in a different dining room. If you provide them with your previous dining details that helps them locate it faster. Or you can take the bottle to your cabin to drink there or anywhere else on the ship.

It’s been my experience that the room steward contacts room service for wine glasses so I call them directly to be delivered to my cabin. As stated, Vines keeps their expensive Riedel wine glasses but you could probably leave a bar or dining room with a regular wine glass.