So Excited - Triumph in September!

katibug

First post here in many, many years. :) My best friend and I will be cruising out of NOLA in September, to celebrate her 50th birthday. Our last cruise was in December 2013 - so we're a little out of practice!

We booked a balcony cabin on Empress (7386) with Your Time Dining, and plan to arrive in NOLA two days early to play, as we love the city.

Any advice, must-do, or must-see? We'd like to book excursions in both ports, since we've never been to Mexico.

Looking forward to reading your suggestions!

~Katie

First post here in many, many years. :) My best friend and I will be cruising out of NOLA in September, to celebrate her 50th birthday. Our last cruise was in December 2013 - so we're a little out of practice!

We booked a balcony cabin on Empress (7386) with Your Time Dining, and plan to arrive in NOLA two days early to play, as we love the city.

Any advice, must-do, or must-see? We'd like to book excursions in both ports, since we've never been to Mexico.

~Katie

How exciting! What ports are you visiting?

We'll be in Cozomel and Progreso. :)

I've never been to Progresso but Cozumel has a couple options, Mr Sanchos, Nachi Cocum and Paradise Beach. The first two are All Inclusive and both are great. Paradise Beach I haven't been to but I believe it is pay as you go. All 3 are accessible via Taxi as you leave the port and prices to each are posted. Google them and see what suits you and your friend best:cool:

I've never been to Progresso but Cozumel has a couple options, Mr Sanchos, Nachi Cocum and Paradise Beach. The first two are All Inclusive and both are great. Paradise Beach I haven't been to but I believe it is pay as you go. All 3 are accessible via Taxi as you leave the port and prices to each are posted. Google them and see what suits you and your friend best:cool:

I'd heard of Mr. Sanchos - but not sure all-inclusive is the best option for us. Neither of us drink much, and I had stomach surgery, so eat very little. We'll check out Paradise Beach!

We're looking at this one for Progreso - historic tour with rum tasting at the end. https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/yucatan-progreso-mexico/historic-merida-highlights-and-mayan-rum-tasting-320038?b=6A766173376D30782B6D796B6A5358326235586277513D3D

I was also thinking about Faster to the Fun (FTTF). Wondering if the 80 bucks may be worth priority tendering....SO MANY QUESTIONS in my head today!

I'd heard of Mr. Sanchos - but not sure all-inclusive is the best option for us. Neither of us drink much, and I had stomach surgery, so eat very little. We'll check out Paradise Beach!

We're looking at this one for Progreso - historic tour with rum tasting at the end. https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/yucatan-progreso-mexico/historic-merida-highlights-and-mayan-rum-tasting-320038?b=6A766173376D30782B6D796B6A5358326235586277513D3D

I was also thinking about Faster to the Fun (FTTF). Wondering if the 80 bucks may be worth priority tendering....SO MANY QUESTIONS in my head today!

You shouldn't be tendering in either of those ports so that may help with that decision.

You shouldn't be tendering in either of those ports so that may help with that decision.

That *ABSOLUTELY* helps - thank you. :) So for us then, the "big benefit" is early cabin access - and $80 may be too much for that. I appreciate your comment!

~Katie

Cool. I've done that cruise on Triumph the past two Septembers. If you haven't been to the WWII Museum in New Orleans yet, you should definitely consider it if you have a day to spare. If you have any questions on New Orleans hotels, let me know. I've stayed in lots of them.

The thing I like most about Triumph is the entertainment is different than the other ships I've been on. Where most of the fleet has gone to playlist productions, Triumph still has the old shows with the orchestra pit. It's a nice change of pace from all of the playlist shows. Then there's a night where they fly in a magician from Vegas...something I haven't seen on any of the other ships I've been on. He does a Vegas style magic show in the main showroom. Then later that night in the comedy club he puts on a burlesque show with the dancers. I'd recommend attending both of those if you are able to.

The most popular thing to do in Progreso is to see the ruins. There are several of them. There's also a combo package of ruins and Merida if you're interested in seeing both.. If you want to look outside of carnival excursions, checkout www.autoprogreso.com They are the ones who shuttle you to and from the pier (it's a long pier).

In Cozumel Mr. Sanchos and Paradise beach are the most popular ones.

We've been to Cozumel and Progreso numerous times. In Coz we usually grab a taxi and head to Playa Palancar for a beautiful day at the beach. Last week we were there and rented a car and drove all over the island. In Progreso check out Autoprogreso tours. Done many with them and never had a problem. The bus you will ride from the Progreso Pier into town is an Autoprogreso bus.

Cool. I've done that cruise on Triumph the past two Septembers. If you haven't been to the WWII Museum in New Orleans yet, you should definitely consider it if you have a day to spare. If you have any questions on New Orleans hotels, let me know. I've stayed in lots of them.

The thing I like most about Triumph is the entertainment is different than the other ships I've been on. Where most of the fleet has gone to playlist productions, Triumph still has the old shows with the orchestra pit. It's a nice change of pace from all of the playlist shows. Then there's a night where they fly in a magician from Vegas...something I haven't seen on any of the other ships I've been on. He does a Vegas style magic show in the main showroom. Then later that night in the comedy club he puts on a burlesque show with the dancers. I'd recommend attending both of those if you are able to.

The most popular thing to do in Progreso is to see the ruins. There are several of them. There's also a combo package of ruins and Merida if you're interested in seeing both.. If you want to look outside of carnival excursions, checkout www.autoprogreso.com They are the ones who shuttle you to and from the pier (it's a long pier).

In Cozumel Mr. Sanchos and Paradise beach are the most popular ones.

Thanks - for Cozomel, we're thinking Paradise Beach, so we can explore a little on our own before relaxing on the sand. I want to EXPERIENCE a Mexican beach, but not spend the whole day there.

Love the idea of the Vegas magician, we'll make sure not to miss him!

We're pretty familiar with New Orleans, and are staying at a timeshare (roomie works for the company), which that makes things easier. Have not been to the museum yet, so that is now on the list. :)

We've been to Paradise Beach 5-6 times, great time always. We don't benefit from all inclusives either and have found paradise beach to just be perfect for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you think a couple of hours is enough? Am now thinking a moring excursion, then a little beach time before getting back on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
We've been to Cozumel and Progreso numerous times. In Coz we usually grab a taxi and head to Playa Palancar for a beautiful day at the beach. Last week we were there and rented a car and drove all over the island. In Progreso check out Autoprogreso tours. Done many with them and never had a problem. The bus you will ride from the Progreso Pier into town is an Autoprogreso bus.

Interesting - I didn't think about driving. Was it easy? I'd be worried about not understanding signs; what was your experience like?

Will check into the Autoprogresso Tours. We've been looking at " Historic Merida Highlights & Mayan Rum Tasting", but the reviews are mixed.

Edited by katibug
did not mean to include a link

Just got off the Triumph (6/9 - 6/14). Went to Nachi in Cozumel 17.00 cab fare each way, maybe 10 mins from port. Gorgeous beach and no crowds (they only allow 130). Booked excursion through Carnival the Vip chichinetzan and cenotes tour for Progreso. Loved the cenotes. 2 hour bus ride each way, left the day on a pretty tight schedule since back on board time is 430.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Just got off the Triumph (6/9 - 6/14). Went to Nachi in Cozumel 17.00 cab fare each way, maybe 10 mins from port. Gorgeous beach and no crowds (they only allow 130). Booked excursion through Carnival the Vip chichinetzan and cenotes tour for Progreso. Loved the cenotes. 2 hour bus ride each way, left the day on a pretty tight schedule since back on board time is 430.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Thanks! Now i have to google "cenotes" (I feel like an idiot...)

I’ve done this excursion. Absolutely loved it. You can actually price match this excursion with the tour on this website and get some OBC! http://www.autoprogreso.com/MeridaEn.html

You have gotten lots of good suggestions for Cozumel, but I will throw in one more if you are interested in good food and snorkeling from shore - MoneyBar. It is a 5 minute cab ride, and you can grab a lounger in the sun or shade. They have sand, but it is on top of the coral wall; to snorkel (rent or bring your own) you just walk down the steps carved into the wall. Tons of fish and the coral is coming back nicely over the last decade. For about $70 our family of 4 had multiple drinks and snacks.

In Progress, we really enjoyed Uxmal. It has been our favorite ruin so far. We booked through Carnival because it is 1.5 hours from the port. But there is much shade around the site, and you climb and walk on parts - including up to the top of one of the pyramids for an amazing jungle view.

Sorry they must’ve removed it :(

No worries! But you liked the excursion? I am hoping it is fun and interesting, and not simply a "hard sell" of the rum...I'd love to hear your thoughts!

You have gotten lots of good suggestions for Cozumel, but I will throw in one more if you are interested in good food and snorkeling from shore - MoneyBar. It is a 5 minute cab ride, and you can grab a lounger in the sun or shade. They have sand, but it is on top of the coral wall; to snorkel (rent or bring your own) you just walk down the steps carved into the wall. Tons of fish and the coral is coming back nicely over the last decade. For about $70 our family of 4 had multiple drinks and snacks.

In Progress, we really enjoyed Uxmal. It has been our favorite ruin so far. We booked through Carnival because it is 1.5 hours from the port. But there is much shade around the site, and you climb and walk on parts - including up to the top of one of the pyramids for an amazing jungle view.

THANK YOU! I'll look at both MoneyBar and Uxmal.

We are definitely interested in food, and visiting historic or unique sites. Not as sold on snorkeling....

We love Paradise Beach! I believe they ask that you spend a certain amount per person which is not a lot. We get a couple of chicken nachos and cokes and we are over the amount they ask. Maybe a couple of dollars for a chair and they give you an armband showing you have rented a chair. I love that they also have a pool that has chairs in it around the sides. We do not drink so this is such a nice choice for us. An easy taxi ride there, also. It has been two years since we have been but we will be going again soon and can not wait.