Late flight home after disembarking cruise

Hi. I wonder if any of you can help me with info...

Our flights and transfers were arranged by Regent.

We are flying back to UK with BA from Rio and flight departs ay 11pm. I am aware that we will have to leave the ship quite early. I was wondering what past experience any of you have had in this situation.

Will we get a hotel day room or just a waiting room in a hotel with many others or ????

Our TA says Regent will look after us well....I hope that is right !! Been in similar situations on other cruise lines with varying degrees of aftercare by the cruise line.

Any info would be very welcome.

Thank you all in advance....and sorry if this Q has been asked multiple times previously but I couldn't find any info anywhere.

When we disembarked in Rio back in 2012 we were picked up at the ship and did a full day tour with Valeria from Rio Plus Tours

We had an absolutely fabulous day and were then dropped off at the airport for our late night flight. Highly recommend

When we disembarked in Rio back in 2012 we were picked up at the ship and did a full day tour with Valeria from Rio Plus Tours

We had an absolutely fabulous day and were then dropped off at the airport for our late night flight. Highly recommend

Thanks for that info. We were in Rio for 3days a few years ago and did the private guide bit. It really is a fabulous place. I will look that company up though.

I really wondered if Regent provided somewhere....when I have info I can make a decision what to,do,with our time.

When were in Rio Regent had a room to store luggage and one could sit there if they wanted to but there was no water, or anything other than seats. Things may be different now.

If I had it to do again, I would have booked a dayroom. I can't imagine doing excursions for 12 hours but others may find this fine.

Similar situation with Regent in 2012.

They took us to a hotel with a beach (but not on the main drag), where we could store luggage and use hotel facilities.

From memory, no individual dayrooms but there were a couple for shared use.

As this was a long time ago I would suggest you press your TA and/or Regent for exact details of what they propose so that you can decide whether to make alternative or extra arrangements.

Have an enjoyable cruise and make the best of the vibrant city of Rio :cool:

Thanks to you all for the replies.

Last time in Rio we had a private guide for 3 days so felt we saw most of the city.....even had a walk around a Favella ...now that was interesting !!

Yes, I agree it’s going to be a long day and if the take us to a hotel with pool that would be very acceptable.

Will phone them tomorrow.

Thank you again.

We have a similar situation coming home from Tahiti [flight 23.35 to LA] and have been told that we will be informed by Regent once on the cruise of any arrangements made for our departure day.

When I asked a similar question, it was a real mixed bag of answers. We would be happy with a hotel on the beach, with secure luggage storage, even if it was shared facilities, but we are wondering if it is best just to hire a car for the day?

Jollyjoyce:

You mentioned a previous time in Rio. So--this option might apply. This is based on our December 2015 experience--Pre-cruise South African safari; then Mariner, Cape Town to Rio.

Having been to Rio for extended periods twice before, we opted to leave Mariner on the last night of that 2015 cruise rather than normal debarkation the following morning, and a long wait for our Red Eye. .

Had a pleasant in-suite dinner; then private car transfer to Airport. Staff expedited this process, as it allowed servicing our vacated suite early. At the airport Lounge for about 1.5 hours, then N/S flight to Atlanta which departed around 2330H. Arrival at Atlanta early the next morning, local time. Quick transfer to another N/S and on to Seattle with mid-day arrival, local time. This was three days before Christmas. So, when we arrived home, others who opted for the normal debarkation time were--well, they were still en route. We also avoided the really-heavy airport Holiday traffic

This was a win-win situation.

Just something to consider.

GOARMY!

Therefore, we avoided the really-heavy Holiday terminal traffic was to Atlanta; then on to Seattle. To the airport for some time in the Lounge

Earlier this year we disembarked in Singapore. Regent offered us a choice of either a full day or half day tour. There was no additional cost but we only got the details a few days before when we received the disembarkation info. Our luggage travelled with us in the coach.

Got it. Here is why this option was available to us on that particular cruise. (A detail I had forgotten about.) We arrived in Rio a day early due to a medical emergency which occurred to a passenger while at sea over a week before. This required, as the Captain advised, "travel at all possible speed" directly to Rio (thus skipping a scheduled visit to St. Helena Island).

The ship did so--thus that extra day at Rio. Sorry for any confusion on this.

GOARMY!

We do have a full day in Rio before we get off the following day. I rang our TA yesterday and she said we wouldn't find out until nearer the time but Regent is trying to arrange something for that day but its not confirmed yet.....she rang Regent while I was on hold.

I will eventually post the outcome so future folks will have some idea of what happened !! ..but it might nor be until we get back.

As far as I am concerned Regent arranged the flights and transfers so we are still their responsibility until we fly out and I would hope they will look after us. Different if we had arranged our own.

Jollyjoyce

I think we may well be on the same cruise as yourself

We are getting off the day we arrive in Rio and all flights are arranged by Regent

All they have said is that we have to arrange our own transfers to the airport

Jollyjoyce

I think we may well be on the same cruise as yourself

We are getting off the day we arrive in Rio and all flights are arranged by Regent

All they have said is that we have to arrange our own transfers to the airport

We arrive in Rio on 19th January and get off the ship on 20th January and Regent arranged the flights (and Transfers) for that night !! I will "Go with the flow " !!!!

If they don't do right we will not be cruising with Regent again...it cost a lot of money so we have high expectation !!

We do have a full day in Rio before we get off the following day. I rang our TA yesterday and she said we wouldn't find out until nearer the time but Regent is trying to arrange something for that day but its not confirmed yet.....she rang Regent while I was on hold.

I will eventually post the outcome so future folks will have some idea of what happened !! ..but it might nor be until we get back.

As far as I am concerned Regent arranged the flights and transfers so we are still their responsibility until we fly out and I would hope they will look after us. Different if we had arranged our own.

My experience is that regent do look after you until time to go to airport but not always the same luxury as on the ship

We arrive in Rio on 19th January and get off the ship on 20th January and Regent arranged the flights (and Transfers) for that night !! I will "Go with the flow " !!!!

If they don't do right we will not be cruising with Regent again...it cost a lot of money so we have high expectation !!

To right! Lots of $ so they should tell you what they intend now not when you get there

Jollyjoyce:

You mentioned a previous time in Rio. So--this option might apply. This is based on our December 2015 experience--Pre-cruise South African safari; then Mariner, Cape Town to Rio.

Having been to Rio for extended periods twice before, we opted to leave Mariner on the last night of that 2015 cruise rather than normal debarkation the following morning, and a long wait for our Red Eye. .

Had a pleasant in-suite dinner; then private car transfer to Airport. Staff expedited this process, as it allowed servicing our vacated suite early. At the airport Lounge for about 1.5 hours, then N/S flight to Atlanta which departed around 2330H. Arrival at Atlanta early the next morning, local time. Quick transfer to another N/S and on to Seattle with mid-day arrival, local time. This was three days before Christmas. So, when we arrived home, others who opted for the normal debarkation time were--well, they were still en route. We also avoided the really-heavy airport Holiday traffic

This was a win-win situation.

Just something to consider.

GOARMY!

Therefore, we avoided the really-heavy Holiday terminal traffic was to Atlanta; then on to Seattle. To the airport for some time in the Lounge

That is such a good idea GOARMY if you happen to dock a day early. I like the sound of a lovely in suite meal before the solo transit to the airport....seems ideal and will keep it in mind. :D

jollyjoyce, hope it works well for you.

Pam.

Thanks to you all for the various suggestions.

I like GOARMY’s way ....only problem I see is that we have already upgraded our flights and wonder about cost of changing them again.

Thanks Pam, I’m sure it will all work out and I knew the good folks on here would have useful input.

Really looking forward to our 1st Regent Cruise ...a nice number of sea days which I love !! A chance to enjoy the lovely ship and food. Only need the weather to play ball !!

Joyce

Thanks to you all for the various suggestions.

I like GOARMY’s way ....only problem I see is that we have already upgraded our flights and wonder about cost of changing them again.

Thanks Pam, I’m sure it will all work out and I knew the good folks on here would have useful input.

Really looking forward to our 1st Regent Cruise ...a nice number of sea days which I love !! A chance to enjoy the lovely ship and food. Only need the weather to play ball !!

Joyce

Joyce, i am in no doubt that you will have a wonderful time on Regent, they are fabulous!!

If you are on a BA flight and have status i.e. a (silver, gold card etc) they should be able to help you change the flight at little or no charge . Anyway, hope it all goes to plan.

Pam.

All: Just to cross the t and dot the i: Went back to my basement "stash" of documents on prior cruises. Specifically, that December 2015 Mariner referenced earlier. This was in the context of a night-early departure from the debarkation port to airport; rather than a long wait on normal debarkation day for a Red Eye late in the evening.

Here is another example of benefiting by utilizing a TA with experience on Regent. Records kept from that trip confirm that at the time we arranged this trip, our TA advised the only "down side" might be the timeline which would have involved travel from Rio back to Seattle on Christmas Eve. So, our TA suggested that night early departure from the ship, as we had previous experiences in Rio. The possibility that this particular "tweak" could not only be arranged--but readily facilitated by onboard Regent folks--had never crossed my mind.

Again--Destinations Services were more than happy to get us off the ship, early. One other couple did the same thing--saw them at the Rio Lounge. They were headed for Miami that night; we were going to Atlanta.

Therefore, all Business Class (really 1st Class) on Delta from, and back to Seattle, was originally arranged with this in mind. Therefore, there was no issue as to trying to change the return air portion while onboard enroute to Rio to maintain that 1st Class seating.

I can certainly understand this could be problematic if not planned-for at time of booking the air segment.

There has not been a situation on subsequent cruises either already-taken; or planned later this year; 2019, and into 2020 where the above itinerary aspect might come into play. But--this Thread has caused me to keep that possibility in mind.

Best--

GOARMY!

GOARMY - as usual, great information. You are a wealth of knowledge. Whenever the ship overnights at a disembarkation port (and if we can get flights late at night), we depart the night before. On our last cruise (Asia), we were able to have dinner and take a leisurely ride to the airport. All we missed was sleeping and disembarking (which definitely isn't that much fun). By the time others embarked, we were 8-9 hours into our flights home!

To be honest, we do not like flying into or out of South America as the flight choices can be difficult. We are flying to Chile in a few months and the only decent choice was on American Airlines.

Here is what Regent did on our February 2017 cruise that disembarked in Rio ;since the majority of flights from Rio leave at night,the majority of passengers had this situation. Regent provided a large meeting/ ballroom at the Sheraton and some water and limited coffee tea( ran out quickly) .The room was very cold so everyone left and found seats throughout lobby etc.

We ate lunch and just read our books. Other people took taxis etc.One couple tried to use Sheraton pool and were told "no ,guests only".This was a very poor choice of hotel mainly because of its isolated and dangerous(at base of a large favella) location. Lots of unhappy people and bad end to a nice cruise.(ps our lunch was at the Sheraton and purchased on our own)

Sugar: Hope you provided appropriate contiguous feedback to Regent and, if applicable, your TA re: this very-negative last-impression.

Too often, reviews posted on this site as to the entire cruise are influenced by that last segment upon leaving the ship; transport to the local airport; and return home. Or, to a being "parked" at a local hotel. If one has "contracted" with Regent for the entire cruise tenure, then Regent maintains responsibility for that last segment.

This has been a mixed-bag as to our extensive experiences w/Raddison/Regent over the past 16+ years.

Issue is there has been no uniform experience as to maintenance of 5+star service for folks who have left the ship, and are sent via bus to a local hotel awaiting transport to whatever airport. Sometimes, positive, as to availability of an added bus excursion (no additional cost) at that city, prior to direct transfer to the airport. We have, on occasion, also had a very-nice lunch at a local restaurant. No additional cost.

However, on one or two other occasions--we were, literally "dumped" at a hotel. Specific situation dredged-up after reviewing this Tread was at Auckland several years ago after a great cruise. Nice hotel. Quiet, safe, dry, and--nothing else. Find our seat in the general lobby, and this was awaiting about a 10-hour time before transfer to airport at a Regent-contracted bus for return home to Seattle. Just sat there.

Lunch on our own. Other folks in our situation remained there. Pouring-down rain outside. High rains. So, everyone in our not-happy group trapped at that hotel. Wife and I completed lunch, as the waiting line was about 50-persons deep behind us. Obviously, the hotel had not been provided with advance warning of this situation. Not professional planning by Regent.

Took the initiative. Paid for a cab to airport. No worries as to our baggage. Spent the next several hours at a full-service Lounge. Far-better ambience than at that hotel.

Obviously, very-directive letter/email correspondence was subsequently sent to Regent and our TA upon return to our residence. Finally--got an apology letter from Regent.

Bottom line: You are in control. Do not relinquish it. Expect Regent to provide specific information as to debarkation itinerary plans. Based on this, or lack of same, make your own decision.

Best,

GOARMY!

Go army! Your suggestion to disembark the evening before is brilliant! We were aware of the situation beforehand as was our TA. What we didn't know was the choice of hotel . The Sheraton was an extremely poor choice as to location . We certainly did provide feedback to Regent about this situation and can only hope that this has changed. Rio is such a dangerous city,that I feel that Regent should absolutely provide an added responsibility for their disembarking passengers.

Sugar: Appreciated your positive feedback, which has been provided to my wife (for future reference). Sue and I will celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary aboard Splendor, LA to Miami, March 2020 with family and friends.

But, to the point of this Thread: If one cruises long enough, will experience everything which alters the advertised itinerary such as weather, onboard medical emergencies, volcano eruptions (more prevalent than might be imagined), earthquakes, civil unrest, heightened international tensions, mechanical problems, and such. Regent has, on balance, dealt with these contingencies as one would expect of a 5+ line. Because--it has experienced all of the previous. Lessons-learned. Captain and staff are trained to respond. No worries there. We have experienced most of the above. It goes with the territory.

There are other matters that can be planned-for, way-in advance, such as where to place debarking passengers prior to transport to homeward-bound destination. Mixed-bag, unfortunately, whether on Regent, Silversea, Crystal, or Seabourn as to that aspect of returning home.

But, considering the alternative--these tend to be aspects of a First World problem. We are fortunate as to being able health and wealth-wise to participate in such world travel. A few bumps in the road do not detract from getting back on that road. Life is a journey, not a destination.

GOARMY!