In need of expert Regent traveler's opinions.

Hi all!

We will be booking a Regent cruise for the first time. I've narrowed it down to two cruises and can't make up my mind. So will the expert Regent cruisers help?

Both cruises are 12 nights.

Option 1. departing on Sep. 3rd from Copenhagen to London and is on the Explorer.

Option 2. departing on Sep 20th from Monte Carlo to Venice and is on the Voyager.

We have done a Mediterranean cruise in the past on Silverseas that went Barcelona to Lisbon and loved it.

We have never done the Baltic and I worry that it might be cold in Sep. Also I don't really know what to expect of the cities.

On the other hand I worry that the Mediterranean will be a lot that we have already seen with just a couple new stops.

What would you chose?

Hi - welcome to the Regent board! You have asked a rather challenging question. Our favorite ship is the Explorer by far. However, you have a good point about being in the Baltics in September. The weather is so crazy everywhere that it is difficult to predict what the weather will be. The average temperatures in St. Petersburg according to one website are:

August 70 high 56 low

September 60 high 47 low

October 46 high 37 low

I would be fine in cooler weather but I know that this is not the case for everyone. The Voyager is a lovely ship (was our favorite until Explorer was built). Since the is your first Regent cruise, you will likely love the Voyager and may want to try Explorer at a later date.

Let us know what you decide!

Hi all!

We will be booking a Regent cruise for the first time. I've narrowed it down to two cruises and can't make up my mind. So will the expert Regent cruisers help?

Both cruises are 12 nights.

Option 1. departing on Sep. 3rd from Copenhagen to London and is on the Explorer.

Option 2. departing on Sep 20th from Monte Carlo to Venice and is on the Voyager.

We have done a Mediterranean cruise in the past on Silverseas that went Barcelona to Lisbon and loved it.

We have never done the Baltic and I worry that it might be cold in Sep. Also I don't really know what to expect of the cities.

On the other hand I worry that the Mediterranean will be a lot that we have already seen with just a couple new stops.

What would you chose?

Hello, we have done 2 Regent cruises to the Baltic, the last one was on the Explorer of September 2017. We have also done 2 Regent Med cruised but were earlier in the year (May)

I would totally recommend the Baltic cruise as we went both times at that time of year and it was beautiful.

Russia in particular was amazing and some of the stops up and down the way are incredible. If you get to stop at Klaipeda, the tour we had was fabulous.

The Med is wonderful too but the chance to do the Baltic at that time of year is great.

Have fun whatever you chose.

Pam.

I second Pamela's comments. We too sailed the Baltic in September and the weather was sparkling! Though the Med can be fine in late September, I know which itinerary I'd prefer. But then Voyager is my favourite ship, so I'd have a dilemma, just like you! :confused:

Do you mind me asking what the average age group is on these kind of cruises on Regent?

About 85! No, just kidding, but there will definitely be some 80 year old's on the cruise. Along with some 60-somethings, and maybe a couple 40-50 something's spread about (to run for the defibrillators)! My DW and I are early-70 something's. We started cruising Regent when we were early/mid 60's. So we're about "in the middle" of the demographic.

But you will find that many/most of the cruisers are "world travelers". They've been cruising for a long time, and many of us are still pretty fit, good conversationalists, and don't discriminate against "younger folks" - Gen X'ers and younger "Boomers" . ;)You'll find quite a few "seniors" on the cruise working out up in the gym and able to easily "keep up" with folks 10-15 years younger than themselves.

If you're looking for a "wild nightlife" on the ship.....that's not going to happen. The ship turns pretty quiet after 10pm (after the evening show). But you will be able to get a drink in the lounges and might even find some nice combo bands playing some pretty good dance music. Although some other poster will tell you that the music is too much in the 50's - 80's era. For me, I enjoy it all. Others will certainly weigh-in on this subject of age.

By in large, you'll find a very welcoming composition of cruisers on Regent, no matter what age they are. Just walk up and strike up a conversation and you'll probably find some pretty interesting people who've done a lot of interesting things in their lives. Best Regards.

Thank you for the honest info on the age group of Regent. I'm mid 40's and hubby is mid 50's and when we cruised with Silverseas we were on the younger end, but fit right in. This year we cruised on Oceania and felt way too young. I think it was the music and show on our Oceania cruise was more 50's music with a show that was based on Peggy Lee. We aren't party animals, but do like to dance and 60's to 80's music being our favorite. :)

About 85! No, just kidding, but there will definitely be some 80 year old's on the cruise. Along with some 60-somethings, and maybe a couple 40-50 something's spread about (to run for the defibrillators)! My DW and I are early-70 something's. We started cruising Regent when we were early/mid 60's. So we're about "in the middle" of the demographic.

But you will find that many/most of the cruisers are "world travelers". They've been cruising for a long time, and many of us are still pretty fit, good conversationalists, and don't discriminate against "younger folks" - Gen X'ers and younger "Boomers" . ;)You'll find quite a few "seniors" on the cruise working out up in the gym and able to easily "keep up" with folks 10-15 years younger than themselves.

If you're looking for a "wild nightlife" on the ship.....that's not going to happen. The ship turns pretty quiet after 10pm (after the evening show). But you will be able to get a drink in the lounges and might even find some nice combo bands playing some pretty good dance music. Although some other poster will tell you that the music is too much in the 50's - 80's era. For me, I enjoy it all. Others will certainly weigh-in on this subject of age.

By in large, you'll find a very welcoming composition of cruisers on Regent, no matter what age they are. Just walk up and strike up a conversation and you'll probably find some pretty interesting people who've done a lot of interesting things in their lives. Best Regards.

Hi pingpong,

You know that we are both on the same page right?

I would say that on the Regent cruises we have had they have all been different.

The youngest demographic we had was on a Med cruise and then the next one was our first Baltic one. The one where we found it a little "older" was our last Baltic one. It was really the first year of the Explorer and we wondered if it was the people that had many cruises with Regent had been inspired to cruise on the new ship and its fair to say that we found the ambience a little dull.

We are in our early 50's and found the ship to be deserted in the evenings but really enjoyed the ports of call.

Our favourite ship is the Mariner, i don't know whether its because we have had great meetings with like minded people or that there is a better ambience or that there is the more upbeat music...who knows?

We have met loads of people from all walks of life and all ages that want to just have a great experience and hope we continue to meet the same people in the future.

Pam.

Do you mind me asking what the average age group is on these kind of cruises on Regent?

It depends upon the time of the year and the area. During the summer and on short itineraries, the age skews lower (40 - 80?) and on long itineraries most passengers are 50+. There are always some younger passengers (30's - sometimes younger) on Regent the age range on luxury cruise line does skew higher.

Most Regent passengers are quite active - whatever their ages are. Luxury cruise lines are much more laid back and quiet which only appeals to some. There is no blaring music at the pools, wet t-shirt contests, etc. (but they do have fun country fares on transatlantic cruises). On sea days there are activities (games), wine tastings (included), lecturers, etc.

We decided! Sep 20th Monte Carlo to Venice on Voyager! Booking a Cat F cabin. :) Looking forward to trying out Regent. :)

You're going to absolutely love it! We've done that cruise (Rome to Venice - included Monte Carlo) and it was wonderful. The Voyager is also an absolutely great ship to be on. If you have the time/money, think about spending a couple of extra days in Venice on your own at the end of the cruise. It doesn't have to be arranged through Regent. Just "air deviate" (if you're using Regent air) and you can leave a few days later. Do some research to find a wonderful little hotel "tucked away" on a side street in a quiet location away from all the crowds you'll encounter down around the immediate area of St. Mark's square.

Yes, it will still be expensive (compared to other cities in Italy), but there's just no place like Venice and you don't have to go with one of the "big name" hotels in Venice to enjoy yourselves. There are lots of smaller boutique hotels with their own private little courtyards where you and your husband can enjoy a bottle of wine and some delicious appetizers in the evening.

Everywhere in Venice is within easy walking distance of anywhere else in Venice. It's actually fun to "get lost" in Venice. Walking through the markets, the back streets, visiting some of the churches, and walking along the many canals is a wonderful experience if you haven't been there before. We've been there 4 times and never get tired of it. There are a lot of posters on this site who have been there many times and can recommend very nice little places to stay. You may never have the opportunity to go there again (you know it's sinking - right?) so my advice would be to spend a few days there after the cruise and "absorb it". Regards.

Given the time of the year, I think that you made the best decision. Hopefully you will like Regent enough to make an onboard booking for the Explorer when you get on the Voyager ...... the benefits for onboard bookings are quite good.

Have been to Venice and enjoyed it. Fortunately you will be there when it isn't boiling hot with thousands of people making it difficult to walk around. Do hope that you do the Baltics as well - it is a wonderful cruise!

Thank you for the honest info on the age group of Regent. I'm mid 40's and hubby is mid 50's and when we cruised with Silverseas we were on the younger end, but fit right in. This year we cruised on Oceania and felt way too young. I think it was the music and show on our Oceania cruise was more 50's music with a show that was based on Peggy Lee. We aren't party animals, but do like to dance and 60's to 80's music being our favorite. :)

Just read this post. Ummm, to be honest, Regent also does the Peggy Lee show (and many people are not fond of that particular show). Regent plays similar music to Oceania - has a Beatles night, James Bond, etc. They do have some more recent music but there will also be the oldies but goodies!:D

We decided! Sep 20th Monte Carlo to Venice on Voyager! Booking a Cat F cabin. :) Looking forward to trying out Regent. :)

Excellent. We did the reverse Med in mid October a few years ago and the weather was perfect for touring. Mind you not lounging by the pool weather but great for walking about. It should be lovely, enjoy!

LOL!!! I think it's funny that no one seems to like the Peggy Lee show.

The plus of doing a very port involved cruise is after walking many miles during the day you are too tired to be up late at night. :)

Once again thanks for the advice.

iticlaudia, great choice! I'll add my 2p re age range too - that age is an attitude of mind and not a mere number of years. So, you'll find elderly 50 and 60 year olds on board and sparkling 70 and 80s as well...and of course, everyone in between. We have found the demographic to be different depending on the time of year/itinerary/flight time from the USA and the duration of the cruise but have never failed to meet interesting, sociable people whose company and conversation we have enjoyed and appreciated. My experience of port-intensive cruises is exactly as you say - we've been so tired at the end of a day packed with activity (including an early start too) that we've not missed the party. Or maybe we did?!

Hi, we did a Baltic cruise - Southampton to Stockholm a few years ago on Voyager which was early September. The cruise was fabulous, as usual, but was chilly enough to require additional clothing when eating/sitting around the polar during the day. we are booked on the Monte Carlo to Venice cruise 20th September and hope that the weather will be fine then, it is usually quite stable at that time of year. We too have visited most of the ports but look at new trips off, usually mornings only.

The age range of Regent cruisers has varied on most of the cruises we have done but usually never many children.

Anyway, greetings from Guernsey, a small island closer to France than England.

John

We were just on the Voyager July 2-9 from Monte Carlo to Barcelona. Because of the time of year (and I believe the shortness of the cruise) there were many children. All so incredibly well behaved that I can't even tell you how many! Ages appeared to range (aside from the little ones!) from 40 to 90. One of our favorite new friends on this cruise is a 91 year old gentleman! So I don't find the age demographics significant. True, this is not a 'party' ship.... But the Voyager is absolutely wonderful! Look forward to hearing about your trip!

Hi, we did a Baltic cruise - Southampton to Stockholm a few years ago on Voyager which was early September. The cruise was fabulous, as usual, but was chilly enough to require additional clothing when eating/sitting around the polar during the day. we are booked on the Monte Carlo to Venice cruise 20th September and hope that the weather will be fine then, it is usually quite stable at that time of year. We too have visited most of the ports but look at new trips off, usually mornings only.

The age range of Regent cruisers has varied on most of the cruises we have done but usually never many children.

John

Hey there Guerncruising. Just visited your lovely little island on our last cruise. Charming spot with friendly folks.

Welcome to the board!

We were on the July 2 sailing also. You’re going to adore Voyager! Our favorite place to hang out was the outdoor deck of the Horizon Lounge. Cozy seating areas and had some great conversations. The bartenders took great care of us.

We were in an F cabin 817 and I highly recommend this location. Very quiet but close to elevator also.

Don’t forget to reserve your excursions and specialty restaurants now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

John

That's fantastic!

Look forward to running into you on the ship.

Greetings from South Carolina, USA. :)

Hey there Guerncruising. Just visited your lovely little island on our last cruise. Charming spot with friendly folks.

Welcome to the board!

Hi LoonCall,

Thanks for the compliment. Glad you enjoyed your visit. Hopefully the weather was fine.