Tours Plaza?

bearnuts

Hi all. Does anyone know if you can book with Tours Plaza when you get off the ship? Or do you have to book early in order to get a driver?? Thanks for any info.:)

You have to book in advance because they have to get a permit from the taxi union.

• 2 weeks later...

DH & I were in Cozumel on the Celebrity Equinox earlier this month and booked a private tour with Tours Plaza. I totally concur with everything that has been said on this thread. Gerry was our driver and took excellent care of us. He took us on a tour of San Miguel, including a stop at a local library that was located in the fuselage of a colorful Boeing 727 plane so this former children's librarian could take pictures. Our stop at the chocolate factory was great fun and we will plan for a longer stay next time. As others have mentioned, the drivers are always with the vehicle, so you can leave your belongings and know they will be safe.

At San Gervasio, Gerry engaged a local guide who gave us a tour of the ruins that was much better than anything we could have gotten through the ship and the cost was very modest.

Driving down the "wild side" was absolutely beautiful and we enjoyed our stops at El Mirador and El Cedral.

We had a five hour tour and plan to hire Tours Plaza when we return to Cozumel next year as there is still so much to see.

Edited by MarKay525

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

We were on Carnival Dream recently and used Tours Plaza. This was our second time using Gerry and he was again awesome.

I don't have a negative thing to say, they are just that good. What I like best though is the way Gerry takes care of us. You tell him what you want to do and he makes it happen. But best of all, he allows you to see the best of Cozumel, not just the tourist traps.

On our recent trip after stopping at a local market for beer (which we put in his ice chest) we went on an amazing Tequila Factory tour and then off to the wild east side for lunch and scenery!!!

If you are going to Cozumel, book Tours Plaza!!!

Thanks again Eduardo and Gerry!!!

Bill

I am picky, and I would use them again with no hesitation. Miguel was awesome. He was very nice, informative and made some great choices for us.[/quote

We just had Miguel as our guide on December 11th and we agree with the above assessment. Would gladly go again on another tour with them.:)

I've worked with this group before; and each time I'm more pleased than the last. I haven't enjoyed the tour experience with every driver; but I'm confident that I would be happy with any driver in the group! The drivers we've worked with are very attentive, caring, and truly love people.

Eduardo makes the purchase process and finding the driver at the port VERY SIMPLE, which puts my mind at ease. He also follows up before and after to make sure everything is as it should be.

This time we had a glitch and Leo came through like a star! My mom's ability to walk any distance is diminishing. We soon discovered that she wouldn't be able to make it to the taxi stand. With time ticking to our meeting time, I went ahead to alert Leo. He quickly gave me instructions on how to get the Pedi-cab to her. His advice worked flawlessly and we were on our way. Upon our return, he took it upon himself to arrange it. We got out of the van and within a minute, the Pedi-cab was there to take my parents to the ship - even in the pouring rain! Go Leo...and go Cozumel!!

Our tour was based on what we wanted to see and do. Leo is very good company and does everything he can during the tour to teach about the island and answer questions. He even took us to the open market and bought us native fruit to try at lunch! He is very intuitive to the needs of the group - young or more mature. For example, if my mom appears to be tired, he will stay in the air-conditioned van with her while we explore a location. If I raise my camera to take a picture while in the van, he will work to pull over and allow me to get out to get a better shot! When my dad needed bathroom breaks, he would make sure that dad found his way there and back - which we normally do ourselves! He is such a great host!

By the time the tour is done, we always feel like we have made a friend!

Thank you for a great visit!

WP_20151203_11_56_26_Pro.jpg.ab8f2839d0bc2fa203547b256332d9b3.jpg

WP_20151203_12_13_56_Pro.jpg.4155a7d25f105754241aad585061c140.jpg

WP_20151203_14_39_32_Pro.jpg.84a1b9499b1c35cea55d76c757378234.jpg

Thanks to Benito we had a very good 4 hour tour on 12/8. We visited San Gervasio and the east coast of the island. My husband is an avid photographer and the scenery he took us to was magnificent! Benito was very friendly and knowledgeable about his island. Would definitely book with them again .

• 2 weeks later...

Our driver, Pino, was patiently waiting when we arrived at the designated meeting place (we were a little late arriving due to confusion over ship time vs local time -- which I believe was ultimately due to Cozumel ending their observance of daylight savings time in 2015. This caused no issues but you may just want to double check the time and be aware). After a quick rundown of all the places we wanted to visit we were on our way. Pino pointed out local landmarks as he drove, answered our questions about what we were seeing along the route and let us know about other available destinations and tours that we passed should we want to stop. He again waited patiently at each stop allowing us to take our time. Pino was very gracious, sociable and a great driver. At the end or our day we settled up and all additional costs were exactly as advertised. I highly recommend Tours Plaza and Pino, and would not hesitate to book with them again. This is an excellent option for those who choose not to spend the day at one of the resorts and want to see different areas of the island at their own pace.

While the group is having lunch, did everyone also pay for the driver to have lunch as well? Just want to know what is expected and don't do anything wrong.

I'm not sure what the protocol is for Cozumel, but when we had a private tour in Jamaica we bought our guide lunch. We spent a long time talking to him and his cousin (who owned the company) and it only enhanced our experience.

When we were in St. Maarten, our guide did not eat with us, even though we offered (we were a larger group that time).

I would offer -- it was a great way to learn more about the place you are visiting!

Edited by brookie848

I'm not sure what the protocol is for Cozumel, but when we had a private tour in Jamaica we bought our guide lunch. We spent a long time talking to him and his cousin (who owned the company) and it only enhanced our experience.

When we were in St. Maarten, our guide did not eat with us, even though we offered (we were a larger group that time).

I would offer -- it was a great way to learn more about the place you are visiting!

I think we offered our guide to sit with us for lunch and would have paid but he declined. He was always around in the background watching to see if we needed anything and that made us feel very safe. We definitely took care of him at the end of the day- he truly deserved it.

While the group is having lunch, did everyone also pay for the driver to have lunch as well? Just want to know what is expected and don't do anything wrong.

If we are just stopping for lunch at a roadside restaurant, or beach bar we generally offer to buy lunch because we enjoy chatting about local life. If it is a longer stop with lunch as part of the beach time, I don't think the drivers would want to intrude.

However, Coxumel has a very well orchestrated taxi union and a lot of arrangements with the main tourist stops. There is usually an area set aside where the taxi drivers congregate and are usually provided with refreshments.

It hasn't always been the case but we have found it has become more the norm that they politely decline. They will always be close by if you need assistance. If you are wanting to chat, I don't see a problem offering but don't be surprised, or offended, if they decline. I actually miss catching up on local developments over lunch, and welcome the opportunity to chat, but do not feel obliged if you want alone time.

We were in Cozumel on 1/9/16, on the Brilliance of the Seas. We were four people, and were scheduled with Aldo of TP for a tour using a sedan. Unfortunately, Also was ill that day, and we had Antonio (who had a van). Antonio was great ... we visited some historical sites/statues, the Antigua tequila factory, and had a great fresh seafood lunch at a beach restaurant/bar. I would use their services again without any qualms!

AG

Was in Cozumel last week, had a van reserved through Tours Plaza. Our driver Jorge was great, very informative, friendly, courteous and a pleasure to be around. Was raining when we got there so Jorge started tour on other side off island were it was dry, worked our way back and covered a lot of ground. Stopped at chocolate factory, Tequila factory and ruins. When we inquired about churches he immediately stopped at one. Thanks, Jorge. All in all a great service. If ever in Cozumel book there service, so much better than large bus tours. You call the shots.

• 1 month later...

We were very pleased with our experience; Luis is very personable and we had great conversations while driving around and seeing the sights. We requested seeing more local places and Luis took us to a local market, his local church, his favorite restaurant.. It was a very comfortable mix of staying with us and being a tour guide and at times waiting while we did things on our own. He also deftly guided us away from the more aggressive sellers of trinkets, much appreciated!

Highly recommend Tours Plaza and Luis!

We were in Cozumel last week and used Tours Plaza. What a great way to see all of Cozumel, learn the local history from a native, and visit several places of interest all without crowds!

Pina was our driver and told us the history of Cozumel and it's government now in an interesting, entertaining way. We stopped at the Chocolate Factory, The Mayan Ruins, a seaside restaurant and gift stand, as well as driving around the entire island and watching the Flag Day ceremony.

We were completely in charge of what we did and how much time to take. It was very relaxing and enjoyable. We had lunch at the restaurant and enjoyed delicious shrimp tacos and fresh guacamole.

Pina answered all our questions and told us about the island, it's economy and the schools.

I look forward to my next visit to Cozumel and will use Tours Plaza again.

My wife and I signed up online for a private taxi tour with Tours Plaza. There were a lot of options to tour Cozumel, but we are so glad that we decided to go with Tours Plaza. We have a thoroughly great time! Jorge was our driver/guide. He was a perfect host. He was very friendly and hospitable and was knowledgeable about the island, it's history, Mayan culture and the wildlife and ecosystem. His taxi had the banner "Chivas" for his favorite soccer team.

Jorge listened to us regarding what we were interested in seeing and tailored the tour to our desires. We toured the North and the East side of the island, Punta Sur, the Chocolate factory, and he even accommodated our request to see one of the local Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on the island. All the while, Jorge was telling us about the local history and culture. When we toured Punta Sur, he spent time showing us the beautiful scenery and let us stop and get out at various areas to explore. It was truly a memorable experience and an important part of our vacation. We would not hesitate to recommend Tours Plaza and special thanks to Jorge! Go Chivas! :)

• 1 month later...
My wife and I signed up online for a private taxi tour with Tours Plaza. There were a lot of options to tour Cozumel, but we are so glad that we decided to go with Tours Plaza. We have a thoroughly great time! Jorge was our driver/guide. He was a perfect host. He was very friendly and hospitable and was knowledgeable about the island, it's history, Mayan culture and the wildlife and ecosystem. His taxi had the banner "Chivas" for his favorite soccer team.

Jorge listened to us regarding what we were interested in seeing and tailored the tour to our desires. We toured the North and the East side of the island, Punta Sur, the Chocolate factory, and he even accommodated our request to see one of the local Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on the island. All the while, Jorge was telling us about the local history and culture. When we toured Punta Sur, he spent time showing us the beautiful scenery and let us stop and get out at various areas to explore. It was truly a memorable experience and an important part of our vacation. We would not hesitate to recommend Tours Plaza and special thanks to Jorge! Go Chivas! :)

We have never sailed with Jorge, but thanks for the recommendation. Sounds like they have many drivers to select that do a wonderful job.

We have used Gerry many times.

This was the kind of thing I was looking for. Glad I clicked on this thread. I just wanted to find something for my family to do while on our stop in Cozumel on our cruise in September. I wanted to stay away from the touristy places and just the beach resort. I wanted to see the local local places and see where the locals go eat and drink. This seems to fit the bill exactly. Gonna go head and reserve a guide now