On board Soaps / Shampoos, etc

twokids0204

We has always brought our own body soap, shampoo, and conditioner. This includes the one time we did a suite. Never did like them when I used them.

As for the little round bar of hand soap that seems to have a mind of its own after gets wet. We replace it with a small bottle of foaming pump soap ($1 at Walmart). Easy to use and no mess. I inform the cabin steward that we wont need any replacments.

Happy Trails

Sent from my SM-T820 using Forums mobile app

Tried to save luggage weight by just bringing conditioner on our last cruise. What a mistake...hair felt dreadful ! Have since bought Lush's solid shampoo and conditioner. Both tried at home and will be taken on future cruises. Will also take a bar of our usual soap...Dove ...as not impressed with 'stuff' they put in dispensers. The bar soap provided for the sink was ok but so small. Steward did replenish regularly though.

While we are on the subject of shower tips - can someone remind me the tip about keeping the shower curtain from accosting you in the standard/tiny shower?

We are taking our first Princess cruise and my friend, who just finished her first cruise with Princess, was really flustered by the whole thing.

Even Disney parks, who are among the worst money grubbers, supply very nice toiletries in their hotels. I would not use the stuff Princess supplies in those showers, which I am sure they are extremely aware most don't, and saves them lots of money.

While we are on the subject of shower tips - can someone remind me the tip about keeping the shower curtain from accosting you in the standard/tiny shower?

We are taking our first Princess cruise and my friend, who just finished her first cruise with Princess, was really flustered by the whole thing.

Wet the shower stall right where the end of the shower curtain is and press the curtain to the shower wall. The wet curtain will stick to the wall via capillary action. Works the same in your home if you have a shower curtain there too. (Warm shower water causes the air to warm which will tend to draw cool air under the bottom of the shower curtain which will tend to draw the curtain toward the shower stream.)

Tom

Even Disney parks, who are among the worst money grubbers, supply very nice toiletries in their hotels. I would not use the stuff Princess supplies in those showers, which I am sure they are extremely aware most don't, and saves them lots of money.

Much like Princess, the toiletries provided in WDW resort hotels vary with the cost of the hotel. The items provided in a value resort are a lower quality, although still decent, than those in a deluxe. Interestingly, all cabin categories on DCL ships get the same lovely quality of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and bar soap.

Princess suite stuff is OK. The stuff in the regular cabins is nasty.

The containers in the showers are so poorly marked, I use the products interchangeablely.

I will have to agree, the two shades of green just isn't enough difference for the two dispensers in a steamy shower without your glasses. We prefer the soap bar in the shower and the steward usually brings spares when he finds it there.

August will be our first time cruising with Princess.

Carnival has recently gone to crappy shampoo and soap dispensers in the showers.

Just wondering what Princess offers in their rooms.

Same garbage bring your own.

Buy some of the travel sized empty bottles (I've found them in Cheap as Chips, don't remember the exact price but quite economical, under $5, possibly $2-$4 IIRC) and decant the shampoo from the dispenser. HTH.

I was in a Window Suite so received the Suite toiletries, and really nice. LOVED the spacious Handicapped Accessible shower with the fold down bench and flexible shower head-SO easy to set the temperature and enjoy a good scrub in safety.

Thanks for the memory jab, must check all my liquids are under 100ml or decanted into smaller bottles and labelled. Annoyingly my preferred sunscreen is 125ml or 250ml, but as I'm unlikely to be going overseas I'm not affected by the size limit.

Yep.

Have recently sailed in an accessible cabin for the first time, next two bookings are also in accessible cabins, will have to keep an eye on the window suites

Much like Princess' date=' the toiletries provided in WDW resort hotels vary with the cost of the hotel. The items provided in a value resort are a lower quality, although still decent, than those in a deluxe. Interestingly, all cabin categories on DCL ships get the same lovely quality of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and bar soap.

Princess suite stuff is OK. The stuff in the regular cabins is nasty.[/quote']

I completely agree with this. We frequently cruise with Disney and they are very generous with their toiletries. We always have extra that we save to bring on our Princess cruises. We don't use the Princess toiletries or their hair dryer.

Wet the shower stall right where the end of the shower curtain is and press the curtain to the shower wall. The wet curtain will stick to the wall via capillary action. Works the same in your home if you have a shower curtain there too. (Warm shower water causes the air to warm which will tend to draw cool air under the bottom of the shower curtain which will tend to draw the curtain toward the shower stream.)

Tom

Sounds good. But, if the curtain isn't long enough to hit the lip of the shower pan, it doesn't work. You wind up with shower curtain blowing in, in spite of whatever you do.

I completely agree with this. We frequently cruise with Disney and they are very generous with their toiletries. We always have extra that we save to bring on our Princess cruises. We don't use the Princess toiletries or their hair dryer.

My friend brought me a bag full of Disney toiletries that her room steward gave her (extras). I could not believe how fantastic the products were. Small- sized Elemis bottles of bath gel. OMG.

And the other products were so much fun, too. A regular cornucopia of bath products.

My friend brought me a bag full of Disney toiletries that her room steward gave her (extras). I could not believe how fantastic the products were. Small- sized Elemis bottles of bath gel. OMG.

And the other products were so much fun, too. A regular cornucopia of bath products.

Concierge on DCL now get Elemis products. Personally, I'd ask for the "regular" H2O products if I were Concierge.

Concierge on DCL now get Elemis products. Personally, I'd ask for the "regular" H2O products if I were Concierge.

Yes, she was Concierge. I enjoyed the Elemis more than the H2O.

I usually purchase Elemis and it was nice to get some for free. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

I am not a fan of the new Princess shower products. I am one of the folks who liked the eucalyptus shampoos and conditioners of old...

When Princess switched over, I purchased Go Toobs and bring my own stuff from home. It is a little more weight on the front end, but to me it is worth it.

I can tolerate their bar soap In the shower... but there combo shampoo/ conditioner makes my hair feel like straw.. so I bring my own or buy a cheap bottle on shore if flying !

Agree with you.

I have bought Lush solid bar shampoo and conditioner to overcome this issue.

Quite liked the Eucalypus range, a shame Princess replaced it.

Use binder clips from the office supply store on the bottom of the curtain-

Many stores sell travel sized containers of name brand products (Target has a whole section of these). Another idea is that you can bring a full sized container on a flight provided it is in your checked luggage. In that case, I put the bottle in a zip lock type bag, and place that bag in yet another bag for protection should anything happen to it in transit.