Seattle Hotel Recommendation

Hello,

We are looking to spend 3 or 4 days pre-cruise in Seattle to visit all the sites (Space Needle, Chihuly, Pioneer Square, Seattle Aquarium, Pike Place Market, etc.). We also plan to take the ferry to Victoria, BC either for the day or possibly 1-2 nights. We are looking to stay at an IHG Hotel in Seattle on points. Below are the hotels we are able to stay at. We are most concerned about location being close to the sites, transportation, restaurants, safe to walk around at night.

Recommedations on which would be the best 2-3 would be wonderful help.

Crown Plaza

Kimpton Vintage Seattle

Kimpton Monaco Seattle

Kimpton Alexis Hotel

Kimpton Palladian Hotel

Holiday Inn Downtown

Holiday Inn Seattle City Center

Oh I was going to say our Four Points Sheraton near Seattle Center was nice. It was close to the things on the north side of the city, and there's the monorail to get you into the downtown area.And it was a good price for that time of year. We also stayed like 4 days. This was our trip report...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2381435

Any of the first five would be fine; the Palladian is probably the best located of the group, with the Monaco and Alexis right behind. The Holiday Inns are in a trafficky and not very pleasant area closer to Seattle Center than to downtown, without nearly as many restaurants etc. in walking range as the others. The Vintage, and to a lesser extent the Crowne Plaza are located in the office core, a couple of blocks farther from the main action.

Are you cruising from Seattle? Doesn't your ship call at Victoria on the way back from Alaska? If you want out-of-town excursion recommendations that might be cheaper or more rewarding, just ask.

We are actually cruising out of Vancouver and so our ship is not stopping in Victoria.

Originally we were thinking of taking the train to Vancouver but now we have decided to take the ferry to Victoria staying over 2 nights and then taking the ferry to Vancouver. We've been to Vancouver mutliple times and seen the sights so we are just going to stay one night pre-cruise and then join the HAL Voldendam.

Thank you for your advice on the Seattle hotels. We are going to stay at the Kimpton Monaco. We were able to secure a room for 4 nights using points so that is a great deal expecially for the price of a room at that hotel.

What are the out of town excursions that we should consider during our time in Seattle? We would be willing to rent a car for a day or two if necessary to travel out of town. Appreciate your help.

We are actually cruising out of Vancouver and so our ship is not stopping in Victoria.

Originally we were thinking of taking the train to Vancouver but now we have decided to take the ferry to Victoria staying over 2 nights and then taking the ferry to Vancouver. We've been to Vancouver mutliple times and seen the sights so we are just going to stay one night pre-cruise and then join the HAL Voldendam.

Thank you for your advice on the Seattle hotels. We are going to stay at the Kimpton Monaco. We were able to secure a room for 4 nights using points so that is a great deal expecially for the price of a room at that hotel.

What are the out of town excursions that we should consider during our time in Seattle? We would be willing to rent a car for a day or two if necessary to travel out of town. Appreciate your help.

I guess I'm confused a little. Are you staying in Seattle for four nights, then going to Victoria for two, then Vancouver for one before sailing? That's what it sounds like.

There are several good one-day excursions from Seattle. Here are a couple; google the places shown on the maps.

Whidbey loop: Map - https://goo.gl/maps/QHf4aY3imV52

This involves traveling north to the pretty waterfront town of La Conner, then to wonderful Deception Pass, then south down Whidbey Island to the picturesque towns of Coupeville and Langley, possibly with a stop at Fort Casey State Park, then back to the mainland on the ferry to the little town of Mukilteo. If time permits, you could visit the Boeing Everett plant, home of the big jets and the biggest building in the world. On weekends I'd do this trip counter-clockwise (as on the map) due to potential delays on catching a ferry from Mukilteo; on weekdays you can go in either direction.

Vashon loop: Map - https://goo.gl/maps/BJyDLgaSi1u

This route takes you to West Seattle and Alki Beach, with amazing views of the city skyline, passing ferries and the Olympic Mountains. You then travel south to the Fauntleroy ferry terminal and take a ferry to Vashon Island. Vashon is a large and very rural island, with lovely beaches and a couple of nice small towns. Stop at the beautiful Point Robinson park and lighthouse on Maury Island (really a peninsula) then continue to the south end of Vashon and take the short ferry ride to Tacoma. Visit the Museum of Glass and Chihuly Bridge of Glass, or maybe the Le May car museum in downtown Tacoma, then return to the city.

Kitsap/Bainbridge loop: Map - https://goo.gl/maps/2JZT8Q9x1AQ2

In this case you'd travel north to the pleasant town of Edmonds, then take the ferry across to Kingston on the Kitsap peninsula. Visit historic and picturesque Port Gamble, then travel south to Poulsbo, another nice waterfront town, very proud of its Norwegian heritage. Then drive to the Native American village of Suquamish and visit the grave of Chief Seattle, the city's namesake. From there, cross the Agate Pass bridge onto Bainbridge Island and visit the Bloedel Reserve, a world-class group of botanic gardens (including a wonderful Japanese garden) before heading to Eagle Harbor in the main town on the Island, Winslow. Have pupus, a meal, or whatever, then take the ferry back to downtown Seattle. Doing this close to sunset gives you the best view of the city there is.

Mt. Rainier: Map - https://goo.gl/maps/9Pf7W1Vys6u

Travel to the Paradise visitor center for superb views of the mountain, then take the gorgeous Stevens Canyon Road past the Reflection lakes to the Grove of the Patriarchs (some of the biggest trees in the state) before returning to Seattle. Depending on when your trip is taking place, you can return via the east side of the mountain using Hwy 410 (the connecting WA 123 is still closed by snow, hence not shown on the map.) I'd try to do this excursion on a weekday, as weekend crowds on Rainier in the summer can be awful.

Twin Peaks: Map - https://goo.gl/maps/BiNoQqZ78po

This is an easy morning or afternoon loop that takes you to Snoqualmie Falls, then to Twede's Cafe in North Bend for a piece of cherry pie and a damn fine cup of coffee. The Salish Lodge, overlooking the (spectacular) falls and the cafe both featured prominently in the "Twin Peaks" TV series. Then follow WA 203 north through the beautiful Snoqualmie Valley, stopping perhaps at Remlinger Farms' farm shop just south of Carnation, then swing by the very pretty (original) Carnation farm before returning to Seattle.

Sorry that I wasn't more clear.

We are flying into Seattle because our local airport has direct flights to Seattle, but not Vancouver. We have never been to Seattle so we are going to spend 4 nights in Seattle, 2 nights in Victoria and 1 night in Vancouver. Then we are going to get on the ship.

I appreciate your road trip suggestions. I'm going to spend sometime this weekend researching the options you suggested and see which one we wanted to do. Depending on our final plans, we may even try to complete 2 of them.

Thanks again for your help.

Sorry that I wasn't more clear.

We are flying into Seattle because our local airport has direct flights to Seattle' date=' but not Vancouver. We have never been to Seattle so we are going to spend 4 nights in Seattle, 2 nights in Victoria and 1 night in Vancouver. Then we are going to get on the ship.

I appreciate your road trip suggestions. I'm going to spend sometime this weekend researching the options you suggested and see which one we wanted to do. Depending on our final plans, we may even try to complete 2 of them.

Thanks again for your help.[/quote']

We are doing something very similar so got some great ideas from this thread. We chose the Kimpton Monaco. I hope you enjoy your vacation!

P.S. Chocolate Labs Rule

Curious as to what you guys might be able to tell me about the Theodore (formerly the Roosevelt)? Booked a room there months ago (when they were still the Roosevelt) and was wondering what it is like. We plan on flying out to Seattle the day before the Cruise (been to Seattle many times) but never stayed there...Thanks!

Maybe a stupid question, Do you take the car on the ferry and also is the ferry fares per person or car?

Thanks

You can take cars on the Washington State ferries; the fares are for car+driver and passengers separately. Passengers are charged on westbound ferry routes (e.g. Seattle to Bainbridge Island) but not eastbound (e.g. Bainbridge to Seattle.) Cars are charged both ways. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/fares/

If you're referring to the Seattle-Victoria or Seattle-Friday Harbor Clipper ferries, they are passengers only, no cars.