Mexican Vanilla Beans

attran99

I’ll be headed to this port in the spring. Are there any good vendors for authentic and organic Mexican vanilla beans? I’ve heard great things about this varietal of vanilla and would love to be able to pick some up during my travels.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

In Cozumel you might inquire at either Chedruai, or Mega Mart and see if they have just the beans.You could check Los Cincos Sole either at the Puerta Maya Pier or downtown. They sell vanilla extract (contains no couramin, but is not true vanilla extract) and may have beans as well. If so, the quality may not be as fresh and there's no way of knowing if they are "organic".

I always stock up on vanilla when in Cozumel. The first visit, I purchased it from Los Cinco Sols and it was horrible! It had a strange floral scent. I tossed it.

Now I only purchase Villa Vainilla. I buy it in the cruise terminal (walk thru building). I can't remember the prices, but they were very inexpensive compared to US prices. I buy a mini 6 or 8 pack for souvenirs and a large bottle for myself. I think I paid $15 for everything (maybe less).

Thanks for the idea to look for the beans! Never thought of that.

https://www.villavainilla.mx/

The prices on the website are NOT the prices in Mexico. It's much less in there.

I prefer the beans so I can make my own extract at home and use the beans for whatever recipe I have going on. But everyone seems to have a supplier for extract and not the beans.

Is it ok to bring the bean across the border to the U.S.?

I'm heading to Mexico this year. I'd like to bring Vanilla Bean home, also.

Is it ok to bring the bean across the border to the U.S.?

I'm heading to Mexico this year. I'd like to bring Vanilla Bean home, also.

So long as you declare it to customs, I don't believe there should be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted the Villa Vainilla MX folks prior to leaving and they had mentioned that the Duty Free shops carry both extract and beans. In Cozumel, the store was completely sold out of the beans. I didn't have a chance to check the Costa Maya store for inventory because I was short on time in getting back to the ship.