Flight arrival Times?

georgiahiker

New cruiser here and have read a few posts about this, yet was curious if most fly in the day before? I am coming from Atlanta to Miami (or Ft Lauderdale) and there are several choices of flights to arrive by 8:45(in March). Is that not plenty of time to get to the port?

I understand there is a chance for flight delays due to weather etc. and it is a personal decision but just curious what you all usually do and your general thoughts on it. BTW Ft. Lauderdale seems a bit cheaper... but farther.

Thoughts?,

Nick

We always fly in a day or two early, but then we have a lot farther to fly.

From Calgary, Alberta.

And we usually cruise in February so flight cancellations due to weather are a little more likely.

By flying in early we are already relaxed by the time we get on the ship.

Now......If I had a short flight, I may not worry too much.

Nick, I wanted to add one more thing.

I know some people who would fly in the day of the cruise and didn't have an issue until...........and all it took was one time and now they say never again.

Keith

Keith, that's what I am afraid of..ugh. I will definitely consider it. Good thoughts and seems most are in agreement with this.

Nick

Nick, yes to me better to arrive early. The other benefit is that even on a short flight flying these days can be stressful and tiring. So by arriving the day before you get up in the morning, have breakfast and are well rested for the start of the cruise.

Keith

ATL to Florida is not a very long flight.

Many of us fly from much farther away!

IF you are going in winter or at a really busy holiday time I might still come in the day before your cruise.

It depends on your tolerance for anxiety.

Just because atl to Florida is a short doesn't mean your flight might not be delayed. A problem in NY Chicago or any hub can raze havoc all over the place. Trust me I've been there done that.

We always fly at least a day if not two early - from New Brunswick, Canada.

I have friends who arrived the night before their cruise with NO luggage it went to a completely different destination. Due to flying in early they were able to replace their clothes... I wouldn't chance it.

In almost three dozen cruises, I have flown (or driven) in to departure port the day-of 75% of the time ... and never had a problem.

Its a well-known fact that travelling the day-of a cruise is risky as anything (yes - anything) can happen.

Every traveler's circumstances are different - from how far they are travelling to what time of year it is to their level of acceptable risk.

If you're looking for a majority opinion, it's travel in the day before - no matter what. That's good advice.

New cruiser here and have read a few posts about this, yet was curious if most fly in the day before? I am coming from Atlanta to Miami (or Ft Lauderdale) and there are several choices of flights to arrive by 8:45(in March). Is that not plenty of time to get to the port?

I understand there is a chance for flight delays due to weather etc. and it is a personal decision but just curious what you all usually do and your general thoughts on it. BTW Ft. Lauderdale seems a bit cheaper... but farther.

Thoughts?,

Nick

Yes it is.

Always a day early. It's worth the extra expense and rest.

I'm guessing from ATL you would need to be at airport 6:30/6:45. Depending on how far of a drive you have your probably going to be up be 5:00 at the latest.

Fly , get luggage, get transportation, get checked in and board. Noon-12:30

You've already put in a full day!

I have flown in the same day only 1 time out of many cruises. We made it just fine, but I was stressed from the moment I woke up until I boarded the ship. And exhausted that day, because our flight was so early we had to be at the airport by 6. I vowed never to do it again!! Now we enjoy a relaxing day sightseeing, a great meal and an early bedtime so we can make the most of our cruise.

Good luck whatever you decide!

On my husband and I’s First cruise we were going to fly in the day of. Husband wanted to fly in the day before but I didn’t want to to save money. Well, it just so happened that a crazy person set fire to the control station in Chicago days before our cruise and it threw a monkey wrench in all flights from that airport which is one we were connecting with. Flights were canceled and delayed for a while. We called and they nicely switched us to the flight the day earlier than our cruise and we said never again. We have flown in the day before for every cruise since.

Always a day early. It's worth the extra expense and rest.

I'm guessing from ATL you would need to be at airport 6:30/6:45. Depending on how far of a drive you have your probably going to be up be 5:00 at the latest.

Fly , get luggage, get transportation, get checked in and board. Noon-12:30

You've already put in a full day!

Beerman (nice name),

Was just talking to my better half about this last night and mentioned this very point you make sir. Then after a long day and night, it appears the Key West port debarkation is at 7:30 AM the following morning!! Oh well, I don't think you go on the cruise to catch up on sleep ;).

Nick

I tried it one time and was a nervous wreck until we reached the port. Just not worth it to me. That said, I would love to be only 3 hours from a port so I could drive. Flights have gotten crazy expensive. We are driving to port for the first time in December (over 700 miles) and I am dreading it. But as a family of 4 we couldn't manage the expense of the cruise and the flights.

I always fly in the day before a cruise. I fly a lot and have experienced cancellations and flight delays and know that it happens often. To me, it's not worth the risk. I sometimes book a cruise a year in advance. A lot of planning and expense goes into my cruises. Even with trip insurance, I would not be happy missing my cruise. I wouldn't say, "Oh well. I have trip insurance." I have to book my vacation time well in advance, so I don't take risks with my travel plans. It's very nice waking up in the port city, having a nice breakfast, and going to the cruise ship well rested and feeling good.

If people want to risk it and are ok with the possibility of not making their cruise, then it's worth it to them. Everyone is different.

If I lived only a few hours from a port, I would drive to the port the day of the cruise.

I know we're talking Carnival and FLA departures here but let me add this. We have always flown day before. As others have said, it provides an important cushion that we routinely take advantage of. For us, that usually represents a Friday evening flight departing Chicago in the late afternoon. Bottom line, no matter how late it gets in (2 am even), the airlines want that plane where it's supposed to start the next morning. And without advertising, some airlines are better than others in terms of flexibility if weather deteriorates.

We've got an interesting challenge in 60 days regarding San Juan. As many of you know, hotels down there are a problem right now with cancellations all over. So we've got two side by side plans and will make a decision (and cancellation of one) at a later date. Plan 1: MDW-SJU day before with an already reserved (but cancellable) lodging in San Juan. Plan 2: MDW-MCO day before cruise with a 6:30a MCO-SJU flight day of cruise. As we approach the date, either Plan 1 or 2 will get dumped.

Now here's some keys to making that work. If a big snow is heading to Chicago, we'll be allowed to alter either that flight to MCO or SJU, leaving early if necessary. And we're quite confident in that early morning MCO-SJU flight as it'll be the first flight of the day for that plane, with two more that day that could get us there in time assuming some unforeseen problem. And yes, we have trip insurance covering our travel.

Bottom line as others have said. Get yourself that evening before flight and an $89 motel. It dramatically reduces risk and makes the process easier and more fun for a very modest price. No need to burn an extra vacation day but no reason to hang at home an extra night. Have fun and good luck.

Edited by jsglow
typo