Alaska in May

babs135

Too cold? And what could I hope to see so early in the season? If you had the choice would you prefer to go later in the season and why. If price didn't push us over our budget would you add a journey on the Rocky Mountaineer at the end of the cruise? Quick look does suggest that this could be too expensive.

Sorry, lots of questions but still trying to make a decision for our cruise in 2019 and we keep changing our minds.

This reply will only be of limited help I'm afraid. We chose to go in early July so that it was the peak salmon run time and when we got up to Anchorage we could make trips to see grizzly bears catching the salmon. BUT this may not interest you, and unfortunately Cunard have chosen not to go all the way to Anchorage, just half way and back again. July temperatures weren't too bad, but I'd expect May to be rather chilly.

Too early for salmon, but the bears will be awake and hungry, looking for things like berries rather than fishing in the rivers. A good tour guide should be able to locate some wildlife on any cruise itinerary (but in August the unusual heat made them a no-show on our first attempt).

I did ask the guide on my second (successful) bear watch (DW stayed on the ship) about what one could see in May and got some reassurance that the bears would be viewable then.

Another consideration would be the chances for a sunny day. I think you'd have better luck in May/June than August/September but I'm not 100% sure. Also longer days closer to June 21.

We usually travel Alaska in May. I used to work up there and May is traditionally one of the drier months. Summer months can have thick fog from time to time. Hard to see the views in fog. Other plusses for May are that there are far fewer crowds, kids are still in school if that is important to you, the shops and attractions are all fresh, well stocked, and looking forward to seeing you as opposed to late in the season when stocks are working down and they are getting tired of all the tourists. It can be chilly but you really want warm in Alaska? Warm means the state bird (mosquitos) comes out in force. A jacket and maybe a sweater was all we needed. Think layers. You will have a great time.:cool:

I like early because there are less children/families and you will see more snow on the mountains.

I also think there is the enthusiastic factor since it is early in the season for both the crew and also for the people on land.

Our earliest sailing was in April one year three weeks before any other cruise ship and we had the most beautiful day of any I had ever experienced while sailing Glacier Bay. Would it happen again maybe but maybe not.

Would I choose May over say July, August or September absolutely.

Here are a few photos from that April cruise of Glacier Bay. It was a picture perfect day.

Keith

DSC_4216.jpg

DSC_4215.jpg

DSC_4194.jpg

DSC_4195.jpg

Dear babs135,

In your upcoming A.D. 2019 cruise your so well doing the research / planning stages now.

Alaska ( Ak.) being our largest state and no other place as it in the world anymore, has so -so much to see and do

On a railroad do explore now in Skagway,Ak. that Whitehorse and Yukon R.R. it is simply amazing . They do own the pier where most cruise ships pull in. That is why it is able to pick youall up at the ship and pier.

If you do like shopping Skagway as well has the best cost basis too.

I myself worked in Ak. and the Y.T. (Yukon Territory) my youngest nephew is a US Army Officer graduated from the USMA at Westpoint, Orange County, NY and currently staioned again in Fairbanks, Ak. now.

My own favorite time in that area (Ak. and Y.T.) is in the start of August. Flora/Fauna are at the peak. Bald Eagles inasmuchas are as well like Ravens/Crows plentiful.

On your trips cost basis ask now for pricing and benefits. Get the Travel Agencies to bid for your business.

The largest cost in travel has now been those Metal Tubes.. Air Jets. So compare your flight costs..etc..

What ever you do choose and if your able see Sitka, Ak. as that was the Russian base where we ( US) purchased the Ak. from.

Now Cunard is having the ships back plying the waters of our North. Finaly after about a score of years..eh...

Too cold? And what could I hope to see so early in the season? If you had the choice would you prefer to go later in the season and why. If price didn't push us over our budget would you add a journey on the Rocky Mountaineer at the end of the cruise? Quick look does suggest that this could be too expensive.

Sorry, lots of questions but still trying to make a decision for our cruise in 2019 and we keep changing our minds.

Two years ago we took a seven-day cruise to Alaska from Vancouver on the second week of May. The weather was splendid. It was not cold at all in any of the ports, although a bit chilly on the first full day at sea. The only rain we had was overnight on the last night returning to Vancouver.