Shuttle bus from Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay

parasailor

Hi. My recollection is that the shuttle buses from the Dockyard (not the #7 bus) to Horseshoe Bay is $7, exact change in US coins, not bills, and that you can also purchase tokens at the Dockyard. Am I correct?

Thanks

Hi. My recollection is that the shuttle buses from the Dockyard (not the #7 bus) to Horseshoe Bay is $7, exact change in US coins, not bills, and that you can also purchase tokens at the Dockyard. Am I correct?

Thanks

The private Minibus shuttles that cost $7, do take bills, they don't require exact change in coins or bills. They don't accept the tokens.

Tokens are only good on the public Pink Buses or ferries and exact change in coins is only necessary on the public Pink Buses.

So what is the preferred way to go to the beach from Dockyard?

And for those of us,just researching all this,where do we catch it and any idea of times??

Thank you

• Like 1

I have taken the #7 (cheaper but slower) and the shuttle (glad to hear I do not need coins) in both directions. I take the first one I see with room on it going (sometimes a crowd at the dockyard) and the shuttle back, as some are always waiting.

And for those of us,just researching all this,where do we catch it and any idea of times??

Thank you

The preferred way to Horseshoe Bay from the Dockyard is to take the $7 pp one way shuttle. I posted a picture below where the shuttles are and the sign to look for, Bermudians are all very helpful. The shuttles run all day and once they fill up, they'll take you to the beach.

I went to Horseshoe Bay four times the beginning of this month and the longest I had to wait at the Dockyard for the shuttle to fill up was about 10 mins. The ride to Horseshoe by shuttle is about 25 mins., the bus ride is much longer, maybe 45 mins. and if you take the bus, you'll have to do a little bit of walking downhill. The shuttle leaves you off at the entrance to the beach.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53122936&postcount=8

Here's a diagram of the transportation zones at the Dockyard. If you are want to take a mini-bus to Horseshoe Bay, you will find them in Zone 5:

Zones.jpg

SBtS

Here's a diagram of the transportation zones at the Dockyard. If you are want to take a mini-bus to Horseshoe Bay, you will find them in Zone 5:

Zones.jpg

SBtS

Thanks for sharing this! I've taken the mini shuttle 2 years ago, but didn't realize how the rest of the area was organized. Btw, I paid in USD bills, no coins, all good.

• 2 weeks later...

Will they charge $7 for my 1 year old as well? And there are always some waiting to take you back as well, correct? Has anyone gone over to Hamilton from Horseshoe Bay? If so I assume we have to walk and find the pink bus and we can then pay at the bus if we don't get a pass, right? Do they charge for a 1 year old? I am trying to figure out the easiest plan. Thanks in advance!

Will they charge $7 for my 1 year old as well? And there are always some waiting to take you back as well, correct? Has anyone gone over to Hamilton from Horseshoe Bay? If so I assume we have to walk and find the pink bus and we can then pay at the bus if we don't get a pass, right? Do they charge for a 1 year old? I am trying to figure out the easiest plan. Thanks in advance!

I think that if the parent holds the child, the child rides free, and there will be mini-buses waiting at Horseshoe Bay to take you back to the Dockyard.

People go to Hamilton after HSB specially if their cruise ship is docked there. You'll have to dry off and cover up before boarding the public bus.

You'ii have to get to the bus route which requires walking up the access road to the beach. There maybe a shuttle bus to take you up the hill. Once at the bus route, find the closest inbound bus stop and wait for the bus there.

The fare for the public bus would be a Transportation Pass, token, or exact change, coins only. Children under 5 yo ride free.

SBtS

Thank you SBtS! Great info!

Does anyone know how long of a bus ride to expect from Horseshoe Bay to Hamilton? We plan to spend a few hours at the beach right away in the morning once we get there and then head over to Hamilton for the afternoon. We have a toddler so a few hours at the beach will probably work best. Do the shops in Hamilton ( and for the Dockyard too) always close right at 5, no exceptions? It would be a Monday, so no Harbour Nights would be going on. How long do we need to explore Hamilton? We figured we could go back the next morning if we need more time. We would be looking at shopping, grabbing a bite to eat, and anything nearby appropriate to do with a toddler. Thanks so much!

We paid for a private taxi for 7 people from Kings Wharf to Horseshoe Bay $42 ... with tip $50 total each way...no waiting for the shuttle to fill up...totally worth it. Taxi is right next to the shuttle bus area. At Horseshoe Bay, there was a shuttle waiting to fill up to go back to the dock and there were 3 taxis right there waiting to be hired. The drive is @ 25 minutes.

Thank you SBtS! Great info!

Does anyone know how long of a bus ride to expect from Horseshoe Bay to Hamilton? We plan to spend a few hours at the beach right away in the morning once we get there and then head over to Hamilton for the afternoon. We have a toddler so a few hours at the beach will probably work best. Do the shops in Hamilton ( and for the Dockyard too) always close right at 5, no exceptions? It would be a Monday, so no Harbour Nights would be going on. How long do we need to explore Hamilton? We figured we could go back the next morning if we need more time. We would be looking at shopping, grabbing a bite to eat, and anything nearby appropriate to do with a toddler. Thanks so much!

The running time from the bus schedule shows 30 minutes from Horseshoe Bay to the Hamilton bus terminal excluding any waiting time. The inbound bus departs the Dockyard on the :20 & :50, and it takes about 35 minutes to reach HSB which would put it at HSB at about :55 & :25.

This site offers a ½ day walking tour which I'm sure you could tailor to your visit. Also, there is a free 2 hour guided tour by the Town Crier at the same link above. As I was reading about this tour I saw that it starts at 10:30 am which won't fit into your plans :(.

The stores close pretty much on schedule unless it is Harbour Nights.

SBtS

Use a private taxi,once you get in they take off for your destination with no stopping...If you are going to Horseshoe Bay there is a pretty steep incline from the road to the beach area,you will be walking down a wooden boardwalk with railings. The Taxi will bring you to the bottom of the road whereas a bus will let you off at the top and you will have to walk down. The shuttle will also bring you to the bottom but to pay a buck extra per person for a non-stop door to door service is well worth it, The taxi stand is at beach level to bring you back to the dockyard and were were given a price of $6.00 each for the return trip! If you come by bus you will have to walk up the rap to the main road to catch your ride back.

We paid for a private taxi for 7 people from Kings Wharf to Horseshoe Bay $42 ... with tip $50 total each way...no waiting for the shuttle to fill up...totally worth it. Taxi is right next to the shuttle bus area. At Horseshoe Bay, there was a shuttle waiting to fill up to go back to the dock and there were 3 taxis right there waiting to be hired. The drive is @ 25 minutes.

My rule of thumb these days for Horseshoe is that if we have at least four people sharing we take a taxi. Less than four a minibus shuttle. I don't do the public bus anymore to Horseshoe since they took off the "Special" public buses to the beaches.

Use a private taxi,once you get in they take off for your destination with no stopping...If you are going to Horseshoe Bay there is a pretty steep incline from the road to the beach area,you will be walking down a wooden boardwalk with railings. The Taxi will bring you to the bottom of the road whereas a bus will let you off at the top and you will have to walk down. The shuttle will also bring you to the bottom but to pay a buck extra per person for a non-stop door to door service is well worth it, The taxi stand is at beach level to bring you back to the dockyard and were were given a price of $6.00 each for the return trip! If you come by bus you will have to walk up the rap to the main road to catch your ride back.

The minibus shuttles are also non stop door to door. We do those when there are two of us or I go to the beach solo. The difference is more than a buck per person if you have under four sharing a ride.

Thank you all for the great information! Yes a taxi would be a lot more since it is only 2 adults and a baby. We will look at the minibus and decide if we should go over to Hamilton after or back to the Dockyard and do Hamilton as the other full-day in port. We hear October is the rainiest month which is when we will visit, so weather may affect our plan. Is the rain usually brief as in other tropical ports, or does the rain persist like in the states (this would be in October)? Thanks! So looking forward to our visit!

Are kids under a certain age free?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Minibus shuttle charges $7 per person. On one of my rides the driver did not charge for a child that sat in a lap and did not take up a seat. It would be up to the individual driver if they were not to charge for a child.

I seem to recall that the public bus won't let you wear a bathing suit on board? Is it the same with the mini bus?

Public buses don't allow it. Taxis drivers don't allow it. So it should be expected that the Minibus drivers won't either. It would of course be up to the individual driver or the company owning the vehicle. The general cultural expectation though in Bermuda is that bathing suits are only worn on the beach. I would not attempt to board a minibus in a bathing suit.

Since Horseshoe has good changing facilities there is no reason not to change. On some beaches I have covered up my bathing suit with my shorts but at Horseshoe I always change because of the facilities. Women can change but would only need a cover up.