Dairy free diet on Britania

Does anyone have experience of being dairy free onboard?

I have had experience of dairy free diet on princess and some of the substitutions were odd to say the least ie shepherds pie presented to me with no potato on top as the mash had butter in it!

after a few days it did get better after i complained.

Im hoping P&O are more organised.

Does anyone have experience of being dairy free onboard?

I have had experience of dairy free diet on princess and some of the substitutions were odd to say the least ie shepherds pie presented to me with no potato on top as the mash had butter in it!

after a few days it did get better after i complained.

Im hoping P&O are more organised.

Few years back on Ventura main dining room the was an allergy waiter. He was very good at sorting things out. Unfortunately it took us several days to realise he existed.

Buffet restaurant was not very good

I'm egg free but have the same problems, beef wellington without the wellie [emoji31] if you check the first Horizon you will probably find that in the morning on the second day in the MDR they have an allergy event when you can speak to the chefs. I've found they promise much more than you get if you just speak to the waiter. There is an allergy waiter who pre orders for you so that is a vast improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In case you're not familiar with the P&O procedure, you can alert P&O to your dietary requirements ahead of the cruise. Speak to your cruise consultant or TA and there's a team at P&O HQ they can inform. However in our experience this does not seem to be communicated well to staff on the ship.

Usual procedure once on board is that you will be brought the next day's MDR lunch and dinner menus during dinner and asked to make your selections. The waiter will then take this off to the kitchen and they will come back and let you know if any of your choices contain your allergen and suggest alternatives from the menu and what they can substitute. Again, in our experience they are not very imaginative. The only time this doesn't happen is the first night on board when you have to take your chances. You will have to speak to the speciality restaurants direct if you want to dine there. The main kitchens have a special allergy chef who deals with all the meals for people with special dietary requirements.

We had a very bad experience on Aurora 5 years ago, cast a bit of a shadow over an otherwise fabulous holiday and a better experience the following year on Azura, partly because I met with the MDR staff and stated my case very firmly and secondly because we had a fab maître d' who went out of his way to make things as normal as possible for our highly allergic children.

It used to be the case that if you wanted to talk to the dining room staff about your allergy you had to queue up with all the people wanting to change dining arrangements. If, as Florry says, they have now set up a separate meeting this is a good move and P&O do seem to be improving their approach.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I have just returned from Britannia first time cruising as a Vegan. October 2016

Inform P and O before you travel and an invite will be in your cabin to see restaurant manager on sail away day to discuss your diet needs.

Each evening in the Main restaurant a dedicated waiter gives you a separate menu where you can select your meal for the next evening. A few Vegan choices are available.

Horizon court, Various options available daily, Pick and mix from various food stations. Some Lunches-evenings a stir fry station where you can select what is cooked, There is a special diet station with Vegan pastries. They keep extra cakes in a chill cabinet and replace regally. Fresh cooked chips available late at night if you ask to add to what is available. Ask for Soya milk and waiters will get it all over the ship. Java does a nice Latte with Soya.

Have a nice cruise Maggie.

Thank you so much Maggie, that is really helpful.

My 3yr old is allergic to soya, did you try any of the other milk substitutes? I'm specifically looking for oat milk.

Hi there, not sure about the oat milk - I would ask if I was you, I stuck to soya as I prefer this. Just one last point-my husband "posted my alleged reply" last time-I sussed him out because he was using capital letters incorrectly and spelt "regularly" wrong and then had the cheek to say "don't go into one"! Have a good one x

Hi Again this was written by Maggie LOL. Food - what was it like?

Restaurant:

I chose what I wanted for dinner for the following evening. The vegetarian and vegan menu although not exhaustive was very appetising. You could chose a vegetarian meal and have it altered for vegan.

My favourite dessert was Baklava as this matched my sweet pallet! There was a cauliflower based meal (sorry can't think what it was called) which was a favourite. Didn't like the risotto, but that was more from a personal taste rather than how it was cooked etc.

Horizon court:

Slightly more freedom of choice and the food was fresh-particularly the salads. You could also have additional vegetables like roast spuds. Rice was out and about too. There was a side counter catering for vegan (also vegetarian, gluten free, lactose free, diabetic) but this was small, so choice was minimal. You really had to scout about and check out the "normal" foods to see what you could have. There were vegan cakes but generally only had one choice and they were very small compared to "normal" cakes! So you have to have two!!! They were quite nice but could be very dry-could be improved on. Some nights when I was peckish I ended up just having a bowl of chips-lovely! All in all the food was ok. The staff were very accommodating.