Upsells on Less than 7 Day Cruises

anniversaryfun1017

Does Princess go through the trouble of upselling on cruises less than 7 days or do they simply upgrade cabins to the next level? If upselling, how far in advance does that usually start? If you've purchased through a big box travel agency that does not forward emails for these upsells, has anyone called to speak to the travel agency to be a make a call to Princess for an upsell or are you totally out of luck for using an agency other than Princess?

That will not work. With the big box agencies, they will not call and do not have the contacts to get in touch with the right department. It's stupid IMO because they are losing out in commission. Most of those agents have never cruised or have very minimal experience in cruising. They are there to sell you a product.

Is your booking marked "will accept any upgrade"? I'd transfer your booking to another agent and make sure it's marked that way to increase your chances of being offered an upsell.

You do not need to "accept any upgrade" to receive an upsell offer - we don't trust that what Princess feels is an upgrade is an upgrade to us. We have gotten upsell offers that last two years from a mini suite to a full suite. That being said we have always gotten the upsell e-mail on long cruises and never on our 4 day getaways

We usually booked all our cruises with a big box agency and never received an upsell offer ... but did receive a complimentary upgrade the day before sail date once though. Princess called me directly to see if we wanted it even though I had booked that sailing through a travel agency.

Once I found out the big box agencies did not forward the upsell offers to their clients, I transferred my booking back to Princess. Lo and behold, I got my first upsell offer just the other day. I got it nearly three weeks prio to my sail date. While making another booking over the phone, I asked about any upsell offers that were going out on my upcoming cruise and she checked my account to see if one was under my booking number. I didn’t ask her to do that but she seemed more than willing to help. So, I suppose you could still book with an agency and call in to Princess about 3 weeks before your sailing to see if any offers have been sent out. Of course, you wouldn’t do so if all the categories above your are sold out.

Btw, I took the offer and am so happy about getting into a nice caribe deck balcony!

Sorry if my previous post did not really answer your question. I didn’t read the title properly and can’t go back and edit my post. I really don’t know if they go through the upsell process on shorter cruises but I can’t imagine they would leave money on the table.

We have a four day cruise booked in September. We received an upsell offer today. However, we book directly with Princess through a personal Princess planner. So yes, they can make an upsell offer on shorter cruises.

We have a four day cruise booked in September. We received an upsell offer today. However, we book directly with Princess through a personal Princess planner. So yes, they can make an upsell offer on shorter cruises.

Just out of curiousity, how does one go about getting a personal vacation planner with Princess? And, what can they do for you that the regular agents cannot? We’ve been on two dozen princess cruises and sometimes go through a travel agency but have not always been enamoured by them. Would like to know if someone down at princess that really knows what they are doing would go a little above and beyond. I’ve gotten reps there that I really like but usually never get them a second time. Then, I seem to get through to one that doesn’t even know what they are doing. Of course, I like the former one better....:D

I have never, and wouldn’t, book through a “big box” store nor do I ever book directly with a Princess rep or PVP. I use a very high volume TA who gives me better rates and personal service.

I received an upsell for my 4-day cruise last February. It was forwarded by my TA (who books more cruises than a big box) to me within minutes of her receiving it. It was a relatively reasonable offer to go from an inside to a balcony and I accepted it.

Does Princess go through the trouble of upselling on cruises less than 7 days or do they simply upgrade cabins to the next level? If upselling, how far in advance does that usually start? If you've purchased through a big box travel agency that does not forward emails for these upsells, has anyone called to speak to the travel agency to be a make a call to Princess for an upsell or are you totally out of luck for using an agency other than Princess?

We received an upsell offer on a 5 night last October. I believe it was 4 to 6 weeks before sailing. I received it from my TA. You can often find out when upsells are offered from your roll call. Princess is very helpful if you encounter an issue with an upsell. Several months ago my TA failed to send an upsell offer. I found out on my roll call that there had been offers. I called Princess and although there was no more availability (and balconies WERE gone), they said we would be put on a wait list. They even gave us a free specialty dinner. Well, 3 or 4 days before leaving we got a call for a balcony that just opened at the same upsell price. We were thrilled and got to keep the specialty dinners too!

Yes, as others have already said shorter cruises still get upsells. We got the email yesterday and the call back today for our 3 day cruise Sept 8th. This is the 2nd time we have been offered an upsell, we've had 2 upgrades in the past on 3 days or longer. Our 1 day cruises haven't seen an upsell or upgrade yet. But maybe they just didn't pick our number in the system when they send them out.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

You can ask for a planner and have one contact you at the princess website under contact us or call

1-800-901-1172

This number is correct. We have been using Princess cruise planners for over 10 years now. I believe they are trained and they have more knowledge than the customer service reps at the regular 800 Princess number. You can call with any question. We have had all kinds of questions answered and problems solved. Ours have found better prices than those shown on the website and on a few of our cruises, (two we have just booked), we received extra OBC not shown in the same offers. We know we could shop around and book elsewhere, but using a planner makes the whole process easy. The only downside (but never a problem for us) is they work M-F hours.

Yes. We had an upsell offer on a 5 night Baja cruise not long ago. When Princess decides to try upsells to open up lower cost rooms can vary. No way of telling when it will happen. One cruise we got our first upsell offer about 3 months out. And received 2 more in the intervening time before the cruise.

This number is correct. We have been using Princess cruise planners for over 10 years now. I believe they are trained and they have more knowledge than the customer service reps at the regular 800 Princess number. You can call with any question. We have had all kinds of questions answered and problems solved. Ours have found better prices than those shown on the website and on a few of our cruises, (two we have just booked), we received extra OBC not shown in the same offers. We know we could shop around and book elsewhere, but using a planner makes the whole process easy. The only downside (but never a problem for us) is they work M-F hours.

Good to know ...thank you so much. And thank you to the poster that provided this number.

But they will not offer any discount back from their commission and many have never stepped foot on a cruise before.

Yes, as others have already said shorter cruises still get upsells. We got the email yesterday and the call back today for our 3 day cruise Sept 8th. This is the 2nd time we have been offered an upsell, we've had 2 upgrades in the past on 3 days or longer. Our 1 day cruises haven't seen an upsell or upgrade yet. But maybe they just didn't pick our number in the system when they send them out.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Our 1 day cruise have received upgrades and we were offered upsells on our short 3/4 day cruises.

Yes. We had an upsell offer on a 5 night Baja cruise not long ago. When Princess decides to try upsells to open up lower cost rooms can vary. No way of telling when it will happen. One cruise we got our first upsell offer about 3 months out. And received 2 more in the intervening time before the cruise.

Did you have to notify or have it in your portfolio that you would be interested or want a upgrade? Or was it a random email sent out to people booked on that cruise?

Did you have to notify or have it in your portfolio that you would be interested or want a upgrade? Or was it a random email sent out to people booked on that cruise?

I believe I indicated on the initial reservation form that I would be interested in upsells/upgrades.

I know the upsells were generated in loyalty order, though. The first time we were involved in an upsell, the offer was made to MIL/FIL (higher loyalty level than us). I was handling the reservations for the trip (2 rooms), so when I called I asked if the offer was extended to us also. They said they'd have to wait for a certain amount of time before being able to offer it to us. Depending on how many higher level reservations accepted or not.

I believe I indicated on the initial reservation form that I would be interested in upsells/upgrades.

I know the upsells were generated in loyalty order, though. The first time we were involved in an upsell, the offer was made to MIL/FIL (higher loyalty level than us). I was handling the reservations for the trip (2 rooms), so when I called I asked if the offer was extended to us also. They said they'd have to wait for a certain amount of time before being able to offer it to us. Depending on how many higher level reservations accepted or not.

There is no way on a booking to say that you're interested in upsells, sorry. The only thing you can indicate is whether you'll accept free upgrades at their discretion.

You never know if, or when, they'll offer upsells. You can better your odds if you're traveling with other people by having your bookings marked with a TWID (traveling-with-ID which is a cross-reference). Any good agent will know how to do this.

There is no way on a booking to say that you're interested in upsells, sorry. The only thing you can indicate is whether you'll accept free upgrades at their discretion.

actually, from my very limited understanding, waiting for the Night Race, an upgrade is the default setting when you make a booking or your TA does...to change that, either you or your TA has to contact Princess to change that to no upgrade , or to accept a meta upgrade only

mayble

actually, from my very limited understanding, waiting for the Night Race, an upgrade is the default setting when you make a booking or your TA does...to change that, either you or your TA has to contact Princess to change that to no upgrade , or to accept a meta upgrade only

mayble

A free upgrade - yes. Upsell - no. There's a huge difference between the two. :)

The default for all bookings is automatically marked that you would accept an upgrade or upsell. You have to specifically request “No upgrade” or “Meta upgrade only.” A meta upgrade is from one cabin type to another, such as inside to oceanview, oceanview to balcony, etc.

Upgrades and upsells are primarily based on supply and demand rather than loyalty status. Demand is usually higher for the lower categories of a cabin type so if you’re hoping for an upgrade or upsell, book a lower cabin category.