Koningsdams Specialty Dining thougs

niceguyneastbay

We ate at the Culinary Arts Center while on the Koningsdam in July. We thought it had a very unusual menu. We sampled several things to share, and it was all good. I liked it better than my husband, who is a kind of "meat and potatoes" kind of guy. The service was very good with a light-hearted approach. We had an enjoyable time. It was not crowded at all, and, in fact, it never seemed to be very busy as we walked past each evening.

We liked the CAC when we tried it in April. It is kind of a sports bar/gastropub vibe. Lots of small and large plates to choose from and a reasonable $15 upcharge. I prefer it over the Canaletto.

Have not tried any of the others you asked about - sorry!

We tried everything on Koningsdam!:D All good. I think when we went to the Culinary Arts Centre it was a la carte, but not bad prices. We went to Sel de Mer 5 times. Only thing there is - just make sure that whichever fish you are ordering is fresh, some are not... De Librije is excellent, also, of course, everything in the Pinnacle and Tamarind (yum!). We were on board with Dutch friends, so were trained in the Dutch Cafe - everything excellent there, and free, except for the drinks. Cellar Master Dinner was really good, but expensive.

Forgot Canaletto - just the regular Canaletto, except they didn't have the branzino, it is now in Sel de Mer, we missed that. We did not go to Blend. Never saw anyone there..

We were on the Koningsdam in May. Loved the culinary arts center - we tried a few dishes and enjoyed them all. In Tamarind, we had my all time favorite dish anywhere on the ship - sea bass. We never eat at Canaletto - we have plenty of Italian restaurants at home. As for the Pinnacle Grill, it just doesn't excite us. We're on the Nieuw Statendam this winter. I hope they keep the Culinary Arts Center format. Other than the gala night dinners in the MDR, I would eat there every night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We tried everything on Koningsdam!:D All good. I think when we went to the Culinary Arts Centre it was a la carte, but not bad prices. We went to Sel de Mer 5 times. Only thing there is - just make sure that whichever fish you are ordering is fresh, some are not... De Librije is excellent, also, of course, everything in the Pinnacle and Tamarind (yum!). We were on board with Dutch friends, so were trained in the Dutch Cafe - everything excellent there, and free, except for the drinks. Cellar Master Dinner was really good, but expensive.

When we were on Koningsdam in June, I spoke to the specialty dining room assistant manager that I should eat at Sel de Mer on the Bergen day, since they would get fresh fish from the local market and it would be on display. We went to eat there and were shocked to hear that the special "fresh" fish of the day was the same Dorado that they had been pushing the first night in Amsterdam. I complained and eventually spoke to the maitre'd and he said that was what the chef had prepared because it wasn't selling that well so they still had it. We got up and walked out. They kept having the same fish display outside the restaurant for the rest of the cruise.

The Grand Dutch Cafe was EXCELLENT, although it seemed like they switched whoever was preparing the frites halfway thru the cruise and they were no longer very crisp (I think maybe they stopped double frying them). The huge creme puff there was absolutely amazing, possibly the best dessert on the ship.

Culinary Arts Center is now $15 for as much as you want. We had a great meal there, although the entrees were actually not as good as the rest of the stuff on the menu. We wanted to go back a second time but ran out of days. We did go to Tamarind twice and really enjoyed it. Canaletto was disappointing and poorly run, our meal took forever and 2 members of our party got up and left before dessert.

I was shocked to see the Cellar Master Dinner was sold out. I hadn't even seen it advertised (not that I would have gone).

Koningsdam Dining Questions.

What are your thoughts/experience on Dinner at the Culinary Arts Center, Sel de mer and Taste of De Librije or BLEND?

We had a great meal at the Sel de Mer. We had a great lobster meal, which with the 50% Mariner discount was quite affordable.