Britannia Noise-Smoke issues

Mark36

Returned from an enjoyable cruise on Britannia today 21/10/16. Apart from issues below,

Cruised 9 times before various lines, RCCL, Celebrity, Princess and P&O.

Britannia has Noise issues into cabins on G Deck, We had G407/G409 and had to ask to be moved as there is some sort of fan air intake noise 24hrs a day which is audible in both cabins, It is worse on the balcony and made these areas almost unusable. We were issued with ear plugs by reception until a couple of alternative cabins became available. We were moved to the rear of G deck and advised that the cabins we were moved to also had noise issues from the live Lounge, We accepted these cabins as at least the noise stops late at night. if you are a cruiser who likes to get to sleep early at night avoid this area,

Smoking on PO web site says outside Glasshouse this is incorrect as smoking area is now out side JAVA on opposite side of ship. Glass house side is now non smoking. PO contacted today and informed of misinformation on there web site.

Returned from an enjoyable cruise on Britannia today 21/10/16. Apart from issues below,

Cruised 9 times before various lines, RCCL, Celebrity, Princess and P&O.

Britannia has Noise issues into cabins on G Deck, We had G407/G409 and had to ask to be moved as there is some sort of fan air intake noise 24hrs a day which is audible in both cabins, It is worse on the balcony and made these areas almost unusable. We were issued with ear plugs by reception until a couple of alternative cabins became available. We were moved to the rear of G deck and advised that the cabins we were moved to also had noise issues from the live Lounge, We accepted these cabins as at least the noise stops late at night. if you are a cruiser who likes to get to sleep early at night avoid this area,

Smoking on PO web site says outside Glasshouse this is incorrect as smoking area is now out side JAVA on opposite side of ship. Glass house side is now non smoking. PO contacted today and informed of misinformation on there web site.

Sorry to hear this. And thanks for letting other cruisers know. Unfortunately there are some cabins on every ship which have noise issues of some description. Did you book these cabins, or were you allocated them by P &O?

The smoking area has always been outside The Live Lounge on the Port side. You've never been allowed to smoke outside The Glass House, and when we were on her in her maiden year and in July this year you couldn't smoke outside Java either so I'm surprised they've changed that.

The smoking area has always been outside The Live Lounge on the Port side. You've never been allowed to smoke outside The Glass House, and when we were on her in her maiden year and in July this year you couldn't smoke outside Java either so I'm surprised they've changed that.

But, as the OP says, the P&O website clearly states where the smoking areas are and they are as follows;

Britannia:

Deck 16 Aft port side near the Sunset Bar area

Deck 7 Aft port side near the Live lounge area outside

Deck 7 Aft mid ship out side the Glass House area,

If, like us, you absolutely detest the smell of cigarettes and can smell the fumes from a considerable distance, then it is absolutely essential to have 100% accurate information on this in order that you can avoid cabins anywhere near these areas.

Prior to the balcony smoking ban, we were often unable to use our balcony due to smokers (not just those immediately adjacent, as the stench travels way beyond the physical smoke). Thankfully, that problem has gone. But I would be furious to find that I had booked a balcony cabin above an area that is not designated a smoking area, only to find that it now is. The OP is absolutely correct that P&O must ensure that their info is 100% accurate on this matter.

One final point on this. P&O should police this issue more on board, starting with better signage. We have often seen people smoking on the non-smoking side of promenade decks and, I'm appalled to say, I have occasionally seen staff members doing so as well, which really shocked me as I would have thought that this was a dismissible offence.

Sorry to hear this. And thanks for letting other cruisers know. Unfortunately there are some cabins on every ship which have noise issues of some description. Did you book these cabins, or were you allocated them by P &O?

Hi Mysticalmother, I booked select fair and asked for no upgrade after researching my cabin allocations as carefully as I could. This is why when I then had noise, smoke issues I was not impressed.

But, as the OP says, the P&O website clearly states where the smoking areas are and they are as follows;

Britannia:

Deck 16 Aft port side near the Sunset Bar area

Deck 7 Aft port side near the Live lounge area outside

Deck 7 Aft mid ship out side the Glass House area,

If, like us, you absolutely detest the smell of cigarettes and can smell the fumes from a considerable distance, then it is absolutely essential to have 100% accurate information on this in order that you can avoid cabins anywhere near these areas.

Prior to the balcony smoking ban, we were often unable to use our balcony due to smokers (not just those immediately adjacent, as the stench travels way beyond the physical smoke). Thankfully, that problem has gone. But I would be furious to find that I had booked a balcony cabin above an area that is not designated a smoking area, only to find that it now is. The OP is absolutely correct that P&O must ensure that their info is 100% accurate on this matter.

One final point on this. P&O should police this issue more on board, starting with better signage. We have often seen people smoking on the non-smoking side of promenade decks and, I'm appalled to say, I have occasionally seen staff members doing so as well, which really shocked me as I would have thought that this was a dismissible offence.

Just a question, when was smoking on the balconies banned?

We were on last September and people were smoking on the balcony two down from us.

Just a question, when was smoking on the balconies banned?

We were on last September and people were smoking on the balcony two down from us.

You should have reported them and they would have been made to walk the plank :D

As the previous poster says, it's about 3 years since the ban on smoking on balconies came in, which was about 20 years overdue! They currently permit vaping but I hope that they ban that as well soon as the 'smoke' clouds (and they can be clouds!) travel even further than cigarettes and the stench of some of the 'flavours' is absolutely vile. The health risks associated with vaping are gradually being exposed nowadays, so I hope it's only a matter of time.