Question about Taxis and Beaches

MarLieb

We will be in St. Croix for a day in December and I think we would just like to visit a beach for the day.

I was interested in Sandcastle and have e-mailed them about day passes, but it appears they are now adults only and I don't know if they will let us go there with our 11-year old son.

I was thinking perhaps Rhythms at Rainbow Beach if Sandcastle isn't a possibility. Are Sandcastle and Rhythms walkable from the cruise port? If not, are taxis readily available? Can we get a private taxi? We were on a mini-van taxi in Grand Cayman where they stuffed us in like sardines and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Another possibility is booking The Palms at Pelican Cove through the ship, but I don't know if that's worth the 30 minute drive?

My other thought was to reach out to Prince Taxi and Safari Tours to see a few sights (maybe the Columbus landing?) and then go to a beach?

My husband and son aren't the adventurous type, so I'd like to keep this as relaxing and low-key as possible.

Help!

We will be in St. Croix for a day in December and I think we would just like to visit a beach for the day.

I was interested in Sandcastle and have e-mailed them about day passes, but it appears they are now adults only and I don't know if they will let us go there with our 11-year old son.

I was thinking perhaps Rhythms at Rainbow Beach if Sandcastle isn't a possibility. Are Sandcastle and Rhythms walkable from the cruise port? If not, are taxis readily available? Can we get a private taxi? We were on a mini-van taxi in Grand Cayman where they stuffed us in like sardines and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Another possibility is booking The Palms at Pelican Cove through the ship, but I don't know if that's worth the 30 minute drive?

My other thought was to reach out to Prince Taxi and Safari Tours to see a few sights (maybe the Columbus landing?) and then go to a beach?

My husband and son aren't the adventurous type, so I'd like to keep this as relaxing and low-key as possible.

Help!

Lots to address here but I'll try to get it all!

Sandcastle has certainly turned its eye more toward adult guests, that being said I doubt they would deny entrance to your child. You may not like what junior sees though, there is a clothing optional pool there....

Neither of those are a safe or easy walk from the pier, I would highly HIGHLY recommend you take a taxi to either location. Taxi busses patrol that stretch all day long, it should be very easy to hop in one for a few dollars and a few minutes to your destination. Taxis on St. Croix are almost exclusively 15 passenger vans. I have no idea what a private taxi would cost but I imagine it would be pricey, as you are asking the driver to give up 11 other fares. To either of those locations, you'll only be in the van for 5 minutes at most, it shouldn't be too bad.

The Palms is not worth the drive from their own entrance, let alone from across the island, other than that I will keep my opinions to myself about them.

Prince has taken good care of my family several times, I trust that he will take care of yours. He will give you good recommendations on where you should go depending on the day, trust his judgment.

I hope this answers everything!

Lots to address here but I'll try to get it all!

Sandcastle has certainly turned its eye more toward adult guests, that being said I doubt they would deny entrance to your child. You may not like what junior sees though, there is a clothing optional pool there....

Neither of those are a safe or easy walk from the pier, I would highly HIGHLY recommend you take a taxi to either location. Taxi busses patrol that stretch all day long, it should be very easy to hop in one for a few dollars and a few minutes to your destination. Taxis on St. Croix are almost exclusively 15 passenger vans. I have no idea what a private taxi would cost but I imagine it would be pricey, as you are asking the driver to give up 11 other fares. To either of those locations, you'll only be in the van for 5 minutes at most, it shouldn't be too bad.

The Palms is not worth the drive from their own entrance, let alone from across the island, other than that I will keep my opinions to myself about them.

Prince has taken good care of my family several times, I trust that he will take care of yours. He will give you good recommendations on where you should go depending on the day, trust his judgment.

I hope this answers everything!

Thank you so much, Drake! This is great info! Sandcastle did get back to me and, you are right, they will let us buy a day pass for the beach for our son - thanks for the heads-up on the pool, LOL! I will reach out to Prince. I think seeing a few spots on the island plus a beach and a good lunch might be the way to go. Thank you, again, for your response!

Thank you so much, Drake! This is great info! Sandcastle did get back to me and, you are right, they will let us buy a day pass for the beach for our son - thanks for the heads-up on the pool, LOL! I will reach out to Prince. I think seeing a few spots on the island plus a beach and a good lunch might be the way to go. Thank you, again, for your response!

Please let us know of how your communication with Drake goes. Interested in this same itinerary for March 2019. Thanks!

Please let us know of how your communication with Drake goes. Interested in this same itinerary for March 2019. Thanks!

I reached out to Jaylen at Prince Taxis and he got back to me very quickly! Now my son wants to snorkel at Buck Island, so I've scrapped all original plans and we will do that instead.

I am going to ask an additional question here since the title is appropriate. We are planning on taking a ship excursion by boat to Rainbow Beach. If we decide to stay after the excursion leaves, will we be able to get a taxi return? We will not have had the opportunity to make arrangements prior to the need for a return. Thank you.

I am going to ask an additional question here since the title is appropriate. We are planning on taking a ship excursion by boat to Rainbow Beach. If we decide to stay after the excursion leaves, will we be able to get a taxi return? We will not have had the opportunity to make arrangements prior to the need for a return. Thank you.

You could get a taxi there and back. Cheap and stay as long as you want

• 3 weeks later...
We have lots of ship credits so prefer the sail over. Hopefully someone can answer the question.

I believe UK Cruiser2 did answer you, yes you will be able to get a taxi back to the ship from Rainbow. They roll through there all day running people back and forth to the ship.