What makes the difference between a cabin holding three people versus four people

cruisewithbaby

We are looking at Bliss cabin 9790 and it says it holds 4 people the cabin to the left and right is the same category but says it only holds three people what makes up the difference? Does 9790 have a pullman bed? how would you know?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The difference is the number of beds the cabin has. The bedding arrangement can be different form ship to ship and cabin type to cabin type/capacity. Most cabins have two single beds that can be putt together to make one double. For additional bedding it is usually one or two pullman beds. However some cabins have trundle beds. Some have a sleep sofa and perhaps a pullman bed as well. Some have multiple bedrooms.

On the Escape, the balcony/mini suite cabins that sleep four have a sofa that makes a single bed and a bed that pulls down from the ceiling above it (pullman) to make it look like twin bunk beds. Those pull down from the ceiling beds are usually in the rooms where the sofa is by the closets instead of by the balcony doors.

From NCL cruisedeckplans details cabin 9790

Mini-Suite

- Queen-size bed (that can be separated)

- pillow top mattress

- chestnut leather headboard cushioned and tufted to make reading and sitting up in bed more comfortable

- Built in vanity area

- full closet with sliding doors

- recessed nook under 26-inch television

- sofa bed

- double sink with two faucets complete with mosaic glass tile backsplash and under sink storage

- waterfall shower with multiple body spray jets and handheld shower head

- safe, refrigerator, hairdryer.

Balcony sizes ranges from 42 to 63 square feet. Category M6 Mini-Suites is 227 to 299 square feet plus 102 to 140 square foot balcony.

*Cabin size and layout may differ from size, diagrams and pictures shown.

At this point there have been no photos or videos done of this cabin.

What’s frustrating is that when you’re sailing with two toddlers who can share a sofa bed, you cannot book a cabin unless there are enough adult size beds for everyone.

I just learned something...I bet it has something to do with life boat capacity numbers...

I just learned something...I bet it has something to do with life boat capacity numbers...

Yes this is the claim at least by cruise lines. If the next door room has a solo cruiser (who most lines charge 200%) the triple room should now be able to hold four people. Either this is too complicated or cruise lines don't really want another toddler if they can avoid it.

Yes this is the claim at least by cruise lines. If the next door room has a solo cruiser (who most lines charge 200%) the triple room should now be able to hold four people. Either this is too complicated or cruise lines don't really want another toddler if they can avoid it.

Think of what you are saying here. Suppose, just for a moment, that a cruise agent booked your 2 adults and your 2 toddlers in a cabin meant for 3. Then suppose that a couple months later, your sailing ended up with all berths booked. Four people in a cabin meant for three would then mean that the ship was carrying one too many. Now do you see how they cannot allow four persons in a cabin with only three berths? Even if two of them are toddlers, the rule makes sense. Though, I will concede that it is unlikely that any ship sails with every berth filled, it is still a possibility. I don't think the line would take a chance on that, plus it may even be illegal.

Thanks for all the replies. We will be 2 adults, a 9 year old and a 7 year old! I would love love love for this cabin to have a Pullman, time will tell. Otherwise how do 2 large kids sleep on the tiny sofa?? When we were on breakaway the sofa was so small only 1 could sleep on it and they were maybe 4 yrs old at the time. The other child we put in a pack n play which was interesting to say the least! No room to move at all. There was not much sleeping at all on that cruise at all as both kids were up by 4am bc it was so tight 🤦*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all the replies. We will be 2 adults, a 9 year old and a 7 year old! I would love love love for this cabin to have a Pullman, time will tell. Otherwise how do 2 large kids sleep on the tiny sofa?? When we were on breakaway the sofa was so small only 1 could sleep on it and they were maybe 4 yrs old at the time. The other child we put in a pack n play which was interesting to say the least! No room to move at all. There was not much sleeping at all on that cruise at all as both kids were up by 4am bc it was so tight 🤦*♀️

They will not allow you to book a cabin for 3 if you are a party of 4. Your cabin will have a pullman or you will not be in it.

Think of what you are saying here. Suppose, just for a moment, that a cruise agent booked your 2 adults and your 2 toddlers in a cabin meant for 3. Then suppose that a couple months later, your sailing ended up with all berths booked. Four people in a cabin meant for three would then mean that the ship was carrying one too many. Now do you see how they cannot allow four persons in a cabin with only three berths? Even if two of them are toddlers, the rule makes sense. Though, I will concede that it is unlikely that any ship sails with every berth filled, it is still a possibility. I don't think the line would take a chance on that, plus it may even be illegal.

It's my understanding that ships never sail with all beds (your term berths) booked. There are more beds than there is life boat capacity. We've seen this here when people report they tried to add a person to their cabin that holds 3 or 4 and are denied.

It's my understanding that ships never sail with all beds (your term berths) booked. There are more beds than there is life boat capacity. We've seen this here when people report they tried to add a person to their cabin that holds 3 or 4 and are denied.

Yes. On NCL you usually have two choices for * family of 5: a oceanview or a two bedroom Haven suite often $12k+ per week. The toddler can sleep with us so we don't need 5 beds. Sure they want us to

book two rooms but I haven't been back

on NCL since 3rd came along as other lines have better options. RCL Junior Suites for example. MSC has some YachtClub rooms that will cost about what two interior rooms will cost on NCL including UBP and service charge. The latter would be my preference on NCL with a normal sized Haven Room. We are never in our room during the day so not interested in paying double for such a

large room.