Surf fishing, Princess Cays. Info?

Mrs.Gosse

Hello friends, we have rented the Bungalow for princess Cays but my husband is not a beach bum in any way. I noticed yesterday that they have surf fishing excursions for a few hours. I was wondering if anyone had done them and could tell me if they enjoyed the experience, or caught anything. How far away from the Bungalows or the princess compound is it, since I'm not sure if you have to leave the compound to do it. I'm considering doing it with him as well. So we were thinking about doing the afternoon one that starts at 12:30 because I've heard they pack up the bars around 1:45 so they can get them back on the ship on time. Any advice or reviews would be really helpful. As the only thing I know about it is the small amount of information listed in the Excursion reservation tab.

If your husband is not a beach bum I think he would much rather enjoy the comforts of a bungalow rather than standing around on the beach watching a fishing pole.

Is he a fisherman? That would be the only reason he may want to try it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I’m not a fisherman but I enjoy going out on a boat fishing where they have all the gear to know right where the fish are, drop a line and you have one on.

I live near the beach and talk to people surf fishing, it looks like a lot of watching the pole and waiting for a bite.

I haven’t fished in Caribbean, mostly west coast and hawaii, sorry not much help. The beach cabana sounds nicer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry - Have not yet done this either, but am planning to in November on the Royal Princess.

My wife and I love to snorkel, and we plan to do that for the morning. But we have a little extra OBC and noticed that we can get a couple hours of fishing in so we will be signing up for the afternoon slot. I love to fish, but have no experience doing so in the Caribbean. I don't really anticipate catching grouper or anything sizable, but we would be satisfied with whatever, as long as there is a reasonable possibility of a bite. Obviously you can't take it with you anyway, so it is all catch and release.

I will post in November with our experience.

Don

• 4 months later...
On 8/16/2018 at 3:44 PM, Mud_Shark said:

Sorry - Have not yet done this either, but am planning to in November on the Royal Princess.

My wife and I love to snorkel, and we plan to do that for the morning. But we have a little extra OBC and noticed that we can get a couple hours of fishing in so we will be signing up for the afternoon slot. I love to fish, but have no experience doing so in the Caribbean. I don't really anticipate catching grouper or anything sizable, but we would be satisfied with whatever, as long as there is a reasonable possibility of a bite. Obviously you can't take it with you anyway, so it is all catch and release.

I will post in November with our experience.

Don

I was wondering if you ended up fishing back in November and would be interested to hear your opinion as my husband is interested in doing this in February 

Well,

There were only small fish caught, and not that many of them - nothing I would take a picture of for bragging rights.  I couldn't tell you exactly what they were - a couple different varieties.  There were about 8-10 fishing at a time, and the shore line where you fish is a bit rocky and slippery, so watch your step.  A couple kids tried it, but they didn't catch anything and seemed to kind of lose interest after not too long.

Was it great?  Not really, but it doesn't take much to amuse me.  It doesn't cost a lot and it doesn't seem to produce a lot, but that is just the results of one afternoon.  I wouldn't hurry to do it again, but then, if I had nothing better to do.... maybe.

I found the snorkeling back towards the beach to be more entertaining, and saw more bigger fish in that area than what we caught, but you can't fish there. 

Don

Edited by Mud_Shark
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...