It's safe to book tours at the pier ?

cruiselover168

I always book tours with cruiship. This time, I would like to book tours at the Piers, but I'm wondering if it's safe ?

What sort of tour are you wanting to do? If you just want beach bar, easy enough.

If you want AI like Maya Can or Alpalena will need to pre-reserve, like-wise trip to the ruins.

Beach and snorkel, or some kind of nautical activities

You don't need to pay for a tour. Get a $3 taxi and have them drive you to the beach. About a 10 minutes drive. There are numerous places that will offer free chairs with food or drink purchase. :cool:

You don't need to pay for a tour. Get a $3 taxi and have them drive you to the beach. About a 10 minutes drive. There are numerous places that will offer free chairs with food or drink purchase. :cool:

Could you please tell what beach and the names of places so we dont spend hours at the wrong beach or looking for places with free chairs with food and drink purchase?

Just walk out of the cruise port and there is an area for taxis. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g499450-d3741187-Reviews-Mahahual_Beach-Mahahual_Costa_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Mahahual beach looks amazing, we went to maya chan last visit but what I have read it only cost 3$ taxi ride to the many establishments on this beautiful beach. You do not need to book through cruise ship unless you want to over pay!

Could you please tell what beach and the names of places so we dont spend hours at the wrong beach or looking for places with free chairs with food and drink purchase?

All the beach clubs along the malecon, with I believe the exception of Nohoch Kay (which is AIexclusive), have free loungers and no admission charge, just purchase food and/or drink. If you either take a take or the tram to the beach, the cost is the same. In a taxi, which you have to catch outside the port, you probably need to tell them which club you are going to otherwise, they'll stop at the first taxi stand about mid way down the malecon. Tram, picks you up inside the port and drops you at Tequila Beach first, and assuming you make it through the hard sell push to stay there, you can stop at any of the clubs along the beach. It's all open, no physical barriers between clubs. Suggestions of where to go: Blue Kay, Tropicante, Pez Quadro, are all long time establishments with good service and reputations. Other places that people seem to like are Barefoot Beach, Big Mama's, YaYa's. Blue Reef is a relatively new place further down and is operated by the former owner of NoHoch Kay. There are many clubs that also offer AI packages once there or with reservations. but these are not limited in number of people they allow like Maya Chan or Almaplena, both south of the main malecon.

So in short, do some research here and on TA and pick a spot. Get a picture of the building front. And then tell the driver (taxi or tram) where you want to start at.

If you are looking for excursion to the Ruins or check out some culture, Native Choice Tours is about a 5-10 minute walk from the pier. We reserved our tour ahead of time but did see a fair number of people who walked in and booked a tour on the spot. https://www.thenativechoice.com/.

Tour guide dropped us off at the Tropicante after the tour. Food and service were great

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are looking for excursion to the Ruins or check out some culture, Native Choice Tours is about a 5-10 minute walk from the pier. We reserved our tour ahead of time but did see a fair number of people who walked in and booked a tour on the spot. https://www.thenativechoice.com/.

Tour guide dropped us off at the Tropicante after the tour. Food and service were great

Was that a special request? I'm going on this tour in 3 weeks and would love to be dropped off in Mahahual.

We asked the tour guide and they were happy to accommodate. If I recall correctly they dropped people off at cruise port entrance and then drove us over to the beach. It's literally a 3-5 minute car ride.

Thanks for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

Ask the taxi to take you to Tropicante. It is free. Email Steve ahead of time to reserve your free chairs. If you don't like it, there are many other beach clubs that you can walk to from Tropicante. They are all connected in 1 long row.

• 1 month later...

How many are in a group for their tours?