Transportation from Logan to Black Falcon

Tillie43

Not familiar with Logan terminals. Not very UBER savey either. On Serenade in September 2018. Do UBER drivers park on standby like taxis at the airport or would I have to order in advance. Is UBER more economical than taxi? Also, our flight leaves at 12:30 on the 23rd. With drive time to airport is it best to self-disembark if taking taxi/UBER? TIA.

Not familiar with Logan terminals. Not very UBER savey either. On Serenade in September 2018. Do UBER drivers park on standby like taxis at the airport or would I have to order in advance. Is UBER more economical than taxi? Also, our flight leaves at 12:30 on the 23rd. With drive time to airport is it best to self-disembark if taking taxi/UBER? TIA.

What time does your flight arrive? Which airline? Can you manage your luggage? Logan Airport is very close, particularly on a Sunday when traffic is very light. You can see the airport across the harbor from the ship.

Not an Uber expert, but reports on Boston Service are good.

I guess my message was a little convoluted. We arrive in Boston on 9/16 at 10:30am. She arrives back in port on the 23rd. Our flight leaves Logan at 12:32 that afternoon. I wasn’t sure if I left enough time to get thru security at the airport.

I guess my message was a little convoluted. We arrive in Boston on 9/16 at 10:30am. She arrives back in port on the 23rd. Our flight leaves Logan at 12:32 that afternoon. I wasn’t sure if I left enough time to get thru security at the airport.

You should be fine. What airline are you flying? Do you have TSA precheck? All terminals are not created equal at Logan.

As a backup plan you can always take the Silver Line bus between Logan and the Cruise port with an accessible free transfer over the right of way at the indoor World Trade Center stop via escalator or elevator. The SL1 goes between Logan and World Trade and the SL2 goes between World Trade and the Cruise port. The Logan-Cruiseport direction is FREE and the other direction is $2.75/pp.

• 1 month later...
What time does your flight arrive? Which airline? Can you manage your luggage? Logan Airport is very close, particularly on a Sunday when traffic is very light. You can see the airport across the harbor from the ship.

Thanks 123east. Our American Airlines flight arrives (hopefully on time) at 10:31am.

AA uses terminal B, which is IMO the best terminal at Logan because it is split in half, so the gates are more accessible and each side has a security checkin. This doesn't matter much on arrival, but on departure it's important to know your gate assignment so that you can be dropped off on the correct side of the terminal. https://www.massport.com/media/2524/b-printable-map.pdf

For peace of mind, if you can manage your luggage, I would consider walking off by 9:30 am. This would eliminate the concern of "lost" luggage between your cabin and baggage claim at Black Falcon and you can go directly to ground transportation.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have some questions for 138East:

1 - What is Black Falcon?

2 - My mom can't walk for long periods but would still like to see the Boston sights...what would be a good hotel to stay in so that we could do some sightseeing, go back to the hotel and rest, and still be close (ish) to the port?

3 - Any sights we absolutely must see? Places we must eat??

We just booked a cruise to Canada for Sept. 29, 2019. I've never been to Boston. We'll be flying in to Logan (obviously) and if we can get away with not renting a car, that would be super. I am a Hilton Honors member, so I will probably try to find a way to try and stay at a Hilton property using points.

Thank you 138East.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have some questions for 138East:

1 - What is Black Falcon?

2 - My mom can't walk for long periods but would still like to see the Boston sights...what would be a good hotel to stay in so that we could do some sightseeing, go back to the hotel and rest, and still be close (ish) to the port?

3 - Any sights we absolutely must see? Places we must eat??

We just booked a cruise to Canada for Sept. 29, 2019. I've never been to Boston. We'll be flying in to Logan (obviously) and if we can get away with not renting a car, that would be super. I am a Hilton Honors member, so I will probably try to find a way to try and stay at a Hilton property using points.

Thank you 138East.

Black Falcon is the old name of the terminal on Black Falcon Avenue. It's now the Raymond L.Flynn Black Falcon Cruise Terminal, but it will take years for Bostonians to use that name, if ever. Route 128 around Boston is actually also I95, but no one calls it anything but route 128.

Hilton Hotels are scarce in Boston and in poor locations. There are none near the port in the Seaport area. Your only choice would be the Hilton at 85 Broad St. I don't care for the Doubletree Hotel in the theater district.

Your mother might do well riding the Hoho bus around Boston without getting off.

Car rental for touring Boston is not a viable option because of the traffic and difficulty/expense of short term parking. However, short rides using Uber are very practical and cost effective.

Edited by 138east

What about the Hilton Back Bay? There is a Ho Ho Stop close by or even the Duck Tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hilton Back Bay would work as well, but it's further from the port as well as further from the oldest attractions like Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, North End, Constitution, Beacon Hill, and Boston Common.

I think the OP should do some research to clarify their sightseeing objectives. Uber could be a fantastic tool to more easily move her mom from place to place rather than deal with possibiity of full Hoho trolleys on a Sep Saturday 21 months from now.

Black Falcon is the old name of the terminal on Black Falcon Avenue. It's now the Raymond L.Flynn Black Falcon Cruise Terminal, but it will take years for Bostonians to use that name, if ever. Route 128 around Boston is actually also I95, but no one calls it anything but route 128.

Hilton Hotels are scarce in Boston and in poor locations. There are none near the port in the Seaport area. Your only choice would be the Hilton at 85 Broad St. I don't care for the Doubletree Hotel in the theater district.

Your mother might do well riding the Hoho bus around Boston without getting off.

Car rental for touring Boston is not a viable option because of the traffic and difficulty/expense of short term parking. However, short rides using Uber are very practical and cost effective.

Thank you for this information. If we stayed at the Embassy Suites (it's a Hilton property) out by Logan and Uber'd everywhere, would that be viable? I already decided that we weren't going to rent a car. I really don't want to be driving a strange car (i.e. not my Murano) in a strange city that like every big city has a ton of traffic and probably not enough parking.

Why don't you like the Doubletree? Is it just rundown? Not enough to do in the area? Just curious.

The HO-HO sounds like a great option. Mom could probably get off and walk around at the sights that we find most interesting/must sees. I would really like to do the "Freedom Trail" (is that what it's called?), but it sounds like a lot of walking for my mom. Then again, 21 months is a long ways away and she is trying to get more in shape since she'll be going to Ireland for 2 weeks in April with my brother. We'll just have to see what the future holds. Thus the early planning now for all kinds of scenarios.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Thank you for this information. If we stayed at the Embassy Suites (it's a Hilton property) out by Logan and Uber'd everywhere, would that be viable? I already decided that we weren't going to rent a car. I really don't want to be driving a strange car (i.e. not my Murano) in a strange city that like every big city has a ton of traffic and probably not enough parking.

Why don't you like the Doubletree? Is it just rundown? Not enough to do in the area? Just curious.

The HO-HO sounds like a great option. Mom could probably get off and walk around at the sights that we find most interesting/must sees. I would really like to do the "Freedom Trail" (is that what it's called?), but it sounds like a lot of walking for my mom. Then again, 21 months is a long ways away and she is trying to get more in shape since she'll be going to Ireland for 2 weeks in April with my brother. We'll just have to see what the future holds. Thus the early planning now for all kinds of scenarios.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Embassy Suites is on the other side of the harbor at the airport. Ubering back and forth would include a tunnel toll of about $1.50 (depends if vehicle has ezpass). Blue Line subway one stop to Aquarium (east end of Faneuil Hall area) for $2.75/pp is also an option.

My husband has stayed at the Doubletree and was not impressed. It's on the edge of the Theater District and Chinatown near Tufts Medical Center - a little off the beaten track, particularly walking at night. However, Embassy Suites is in East Boston in a similar off the beaten track area. Perhaps someone else will comment - I don't really frequent these areas.

I did a search on the Hilton website and found the Ames Boston (part of their Curio Collection). The description makes it sound like it's practically on the Freedom Trail. Probably going to cost an arm and a leg, but looks like an historic hotel. What do you think of that hotel? Is it as convenient as Hilton makes it seem (right by Faneuil Hall or at least within a block)?

Oh how I'm loving all this research. Of course that means that all the things on my "to do" list to get ready for Christmas aren't getting done! :D

The Ames is right by the Freedom Trail. It's about 3-4 blocks uphill from the Faneuil Hall area. It would be located in the heart of Old Boston.

What you have to understand about the Freedom Trail is that it is only a suggested walking route for tourists from the Boston Common to the Constitution in Charlestown. Most of the historic sites are nestled in and among the more modern buildings and could be easy missed without a route map through the narrow mostly one way downtown Boston streets. It's a very creative tourist gimmick to encourage folks to walk the narrow streets that are almost inaccessible to large tour buses and tourist trolleys.

The Ames is right by the Freedom Trail. It's about 3-4 blocks uphill from the Faneuil Hall area. It would be located in the heart of Old Boston.

What you have to understand about the Freedom Trail is that it is only a suggested walking route for tourists from the Boston Common to the Constitution in Charlestown. Most of the historic sites are nestled in and among the more modern buildings and could be easy missed without a route map through the narrow mostly one way downtown Boston streets. It's a very creative tourist gimmick to encourage folks to walk the narrow streets that are almost inaccessible to large tour buses and tourist trolleys.

Thank you for that clarification. It does sound like a pretty good option though. I'd love to see the heart of Old Boston. Hmmm more food for thought.

The Ames Building is considered to be Boston's first skyscraper and has recently undergone a complete renovation. Lots of pictures on YouTube.

"Considered to be Boston’s first skyscraper, the Ames Boston Hotel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is the second tallest masonry load bearing wall structure in the world. Originally constructed in 1893, the hotel is located within the Government Center, within walking distance to the financial district and next to the renowned Faneuil Hall Marketplace."