Silver Spirits Beverage Packageed

sabrefan

It you are concerned about the wine choices- buy wine of your own personal choice in ports and bring it on with you - they will cork it for you. Their wine is good but if you are a wine "snob" - I can say that cause I am ;p and will be bringing wine aboard from each port. That is actually quite fun to enjoy local and use the ship as a back up. If you are doing that then I suggest educating yourself on local specialties. I love European wines and always look forward to new experiences but have never been disappointed with Viking choices.

I would do that in a heart beat except that Scandinavia is not really known for their wine selections and it will be expensive there. I will deal with it but would just like more information ahead of time. Will also check out the wines in the ports we visit but it is definitely not like the Mediterranean.

• 2 weeks later...
I think I'll be bringing my own wine onboard because the white wine on the premium list aren't. Love Sauvignon Blanc and Rose but only a reisling and Chardonnay? :(

The $ you save not purchasing the un-needed Silver Service will fund a couple great optional tours.

Pushka on our Barcelona the Baltic and beyond...the premium wine list had a very good Sauvignon Blanc during the the first part of the trip...second part I did not like the white wine choices but found one of the bars that still had the Sauvignon Blanc and brought my own VERY generous glass with me to the MDR!

The $ you save not purchasing the un-needed Silver Service will fund a couple great optional tours.

Yes. I'm doing some research and agree. We've booked an Alaska cruise for May 2019 and already cabins are hard to get. No standard balconies available this far out. So booked a deluxe which gives the replenished soft drink fridge which with a $1000 obc we can spend on quality wines and excursions.

1000 obc? I'm jealous, lol. I booked a dv cabin also to Alaska, but July of 2019

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Its a current special - either that or airfare. We have Frequent Flyer points to burn so the OBC works a treat!

Looks a wonderful itinerary. Had to cancel Alaska last year on Princess Cruises as I developed a DVT just before the flight and wasnt allowed to travel. Maybe Karma as Viking looks sublime!

Pushka on our Barcelona the Baltic and beyond...the premium wine list had a very good Sauvignon Blanc during the the first part of the trip...second part I did not like the white wine choices but found one of the bars that still had the Sauvignon Blanc and brought my own VERY generous glass with me to the MDR!

That sounds like a great idea.

I might wait until I'm onboard and check out the offerings then.

That is a heck of a special! I am encouraged with the option of OBC vs airfare for those who have miles or prefer to do their own air.

I glanced at this itinerary recently. It will be a great trip. We were in Alaska with Princess years ago.....next time we want to do a one way such as this one so we can go in early and explore Alaska via rail and/or rental car.

Viking is a very different experience from Princess. Trust me ;)

That is a heck of a special! I am encouraged with the option of OBC vs airfare for those who have miles or prefer to do their own air.

I glanced at this itinerary recently. It will be a great trip. We were in Alaska with Princess years ago.....next time we want to do a one way such as this one so we can go in early and explore Alaska via rail and/or rental car.

Viking is a very different experience from Princess. Trust me ;)

Yeah, Princess wasn't our fav; we do prefer Celebrity.

This far out I am looking at getting from Seward to Anchorage via Train, then train to Denali for a couple of days then back to Anchorage and fly to Hawaii then back to Australia. The cost of a 5 night package with Viking post cruise was $8,000 :o But am looking at half that minimum if I book that myself.

So really if I dont get the drinks package we would look at buying a bottle of white and say Rose - on other lines the bottles are stored for you each night until consumed and I'm thinking that would be the same on Viking? Cost of coffees etc outside of meal times - ?$4 or so?

Thanks to all for your replies to my post. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether good wine can be found onshore in Norway at all (or any) of the small towns along the coast (Into the Midnight Sun itinerary)?

I've just seen your post. Alcohol in the Baltic states is very expensive; so much so the locals head over to Germany and stock up.

This far out I am looking at getting from Seward to Anchorage via Train, then train to Denali for a couple of days then back to Anchorage and fly to Hawaii then back to Australia. The cost of a 5 night package with Viking post cruise was $8,000 :o But am looking at half that minimum if I book that myself.

So really if I dont get the drinks package we would look at buying a bottle of white and say Rose - on other lines the bottles are stored for you each night until consumed and I'm thinking that would be the same on Viking? Cost of coffees etc outside of meal times - ?$4 or so?

Cost of coffee outside of mealtime, unless you are putting liquor in it is, $0.00. Yes, that is right, latte, cappuccino, plain old black americano, shots of espresso, whatever floats your boat are free.

Consensus is that the best coffee comes from the bar on Deck 1 and the worst from the urns in the MDR. Serve yourself machines can be found in the World Cafe on Deck 7. The other bars on Deck 7 also serve coffee.

Alaska on your own = winner!! That sounds like a great trip. You will be on your own schedule.

Bring whatever wine you want to drink on Viking - no corkage, you can drink it wherever you choose at no charge like other cruise lines.

Or upgrade to the drinks package if you want to have a slightly higher quality of wine as well as unlimited drinks whenever you want throughout the day

Or just enjoy the included beer and wine with lunch and dinner, then pay for whatever more you care to have outside of that.

No bad choices!

Cost of coffee outside of mealtime, unless you are putting liquor in it is, $0.00. Yes, that is right, latte, cappuccino, plain old black americano, shots of espresso, whatever floats your boat are free.

Consensus is that the best coffee comes from the bar on Deck 1 and the worst from the urns in the MDR. Serve yourself machines can be found in the World Cafe on Deck 7. The other bars on Deck 7 also serve coffee.

Seriously? Wow, fantastic. I wont need that package then.

I have so much research to do - I'm used to other cruise lines!

Seriously? Wow, fantastic. I wont need that package then.

I have so much research to do - I'm used to other cruise lines!

And, if you are a soda drinker, between the 6 cans in your mini-bar and the free soda at mealtimes (and you can always cadge an extra can or two at mealtimes to bring back to your cabin), you really don't have to pay for soda either. BTW, you can request that your mini-bar be stocked with all one flavor instead of the selection it is filled with when you arrive.

For sure, Viking is not like other cruise lines. Be ready to be pleasantly surprised.

Two off topic bits here....don't flame me please.

Puska - We did the opposite of what you are planning for our Alaska trip years ago - flew into Anchorage, rented a car and did a day trip to Denali and then drove from Anchorage to Seward to board X Summit. While our friends who took the train from Anchorage to Seward loved it, we equally loved the beautiful drive and we got to stop when we wanted to enjoy the view! The was no (or minimal) drop off charge for the car since they have so many folks who go one way to/from ANC and the cruise ports. For us the cost was even lower than the cost of the trains and we got to go exploring....just a thought!

Peregrina - We have an OBC from our TA that is sufficient to purchase the Silver Spirits package so we had planned on doing so, but I am thinking we might get a bigger bang for the OBC buck by doing The Kitchen instead. Isn't it right at $299 pp? Do you know if they do it on TAs? Trying to figure out where they would do the market visit unless it was in the Azores or one of the port stops in Spain before we disembark at Barcelona...but frankly would prefer to do it early in a cruise rather than the last day or three.

Two off topic bits here....don't flame me please.

Puska - We did the opposite of what you are planning for our Alaska trip years ago - flew into Anchorage, rented a car and did a day trip to Denali and then drove from Anchorage to Seward to board X Summit. While our friends who took the train from Anchorage to Seward loved it, we equally loved the beautiful drive and we got to stop when we wanted to enjoy the view! The was no (or minimal) drop off charge for the car since they have so many folks who go one way to/from ANC and the cruise ports. For us the cost was even lower than the cost of the trains and we got to go exploring....just a thought!

Peregrina - We have an OBC from our TA that is sufficient to purchase the Silver Spirits package so we had planned on doing so, but I am thinking we might get a bigger bang for the OBC buck by doing The Kitchen instead. Isn't it right at $299 pp? Do you know if they do it on TAs? Trying to figure out where they would do the market visit unless it was in the Azores or one of the port stops in Spain before we disembark at Barcelona...but frankly would prefer to do it early in a cruise rather than the last day or three.

Go to the website and look up your cruise. When you pull up the page there will be an Itinerary button you click on the left side. When that is revealed, each day will be listed. Go day by day and check to see if Kitchen Table is listed and then you will know when or if it happens on youe cruise. Depending on your time from sailing, prices may or may not be listed as of yet.

Go to the website and look up your cruise. When you pull up the page there will be an Itinerary button you click on the left side. When that is revealed, each day will be listed. Go day by day and check to see if Kitchen Table is listed and then you will know when or if it happens on youe cruise. Depending on your time from sailing, prices may or may not be listed as of yet.

Even if you see it on the port of call pages for your itinerary, you won't know if it is being offered on your cruise until they finally post the tour offerings for your sailing on MVJ but as it turns out because I just looked, KItchen Table is one of the possibilities for Barcelona (but is not being offered on my sailing). As for the price, there is not a set price so you will have to wait until things are posted on MVJ. BTW, the port of call pages used to build the itineraries are generic pages--one design serves all itineraries making that port call.

Personally, I think people would take advantage.

on our WC everyone will receive the Silver Spirit package (thankfully) but if we were NON drinkers I may be thinking I should get something else....a massage?

You are getting a Spa credit for the WC - if you don't want to have a beverage of your choice - then that's the way it is .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks but no mention of the Kitchen in the itinerary....though there is mention of a lecture about our upcoming stop at Casablanca which isn't a stop for us! LOL Wonder if I could convince them that because it was listed they now HAVE to make port there! :')

Since we will be using OBC whether we go with the Silver Spirits or the Kitchen Table, I can wait until we are aboard to figure it out, but I am on here because I like to plan...so was hoping to have it all decided before we sail away.