Key West hopes to welcome tourists on Oct. 20

FloriDan

I saw a snippet claiming Key West plans to be open to tourists on Oct. 20, just in time for Fantasy Fest. Even that seemed like a bit of a stretch to me, but I tracked down the source this morning, and sure enough -- that's the date they're targeting. I know they have a long row to hoe down there, but if anybody can pull it off, it's them!

Here's the article.

From USAToday: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2017/09/20/irma-recovery-key-west-could-off-cruise-schedules-weeks/684188001/

The port open or closed is one issue, but even an open port doesn't mean a port you want to visit. I feel for the people there, and they desperately need the revenue from tourism, but on the flip side, you may save up a long time to go on vacation, and you want your ports to be memorable. We were on a cruise in July that was scheduled to go to the Keys. In fact, that is WHY we picked this cruise. But due to rough waters it never stopped. So after the cruise we planned to fly back to the keys and stay for a few days. We've never been there before. It now looks like it might be years before we get back. Very sad.

At least the Keys are in the US with presumably the resources to recover. Some of these Caribbean islands are very poor and might never recover.

We are booked to stay in Key West (flying down and returning by road) for five days prior to joining our cruise in mid December and so I have been watching the situation and they certainly seem to be working hard on clearing up Mallory Square and Duval Street.

All the reports I am reading suggest that the hotels have escaped serious damage and certainly, whilst the website of both our hotel (Hyatt Centric) and hotels.com both show no current availability, both are showing availability at the hotel from Friday 13th October.

I am aware that this is one week before the authorities say that Key West will be open to visitors, but the article I read did say that they were aiming for 20th October, but that this date might be advanced.

Certainly, barring yet another serious hurricane, I am seeing no reason to believe that Key West will not be back to be close to normal (from a tourists point of view) long before we visit in December.

Also the airport is now fully open and commercial flights resumed on Tuesday (Delta were the first to fly in - from Atlanta), though I am pretty sure that the flight was restricted to returning residents.

You will be fine Corfe Mixture.

Schools will reopen next Monday, several bars and restaurants have already reopened while the cleanup continues.

Mike:)

Thanks for that information. I am absolutely sure it will be fine and as I said in another thread on itineraries being changed and where folks were talking about cancelling I made it clear that I am coming. Period.

Simply that, because I am coming, I can't help being interested in the progress being made.

Many thanks

CM

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mike,

If you are in Key West, I wouldn't mind an update on the situation at the Hyatt Centric.

As I said before I am not at all concerned. I am aware that they are now taking new bookings from 13th October and the bottom line is that I am just curious the situation there, and wondering whether or not they suffered flood damage etc. as this is where we are staying for our visit.

I stress, not worried, just curious about how much I will notice the effects of Irma's visit to the hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went to Cozumel three weeks after Hurricane Wilma battered that small island for three days. While not every luxury was available, including a dock, the island was welcoming and appreciative of our visit (and dollars).

We had a great trip and have visited there many times. I expect that Key West will do as well as Miami.