possibility of dining a bit late on day one...

csoud68

there is a football game on at 3:30 that im sure will be shown on the ship in a bar somewhere that i want to watch..usually that game is over at around 7...

we have a seat assignment for dining at 6...would it be possible to roll in at 7 and get seated or are they real strict on times?

I will obviously adhere to the 6 pm assignment if i have too. i just found out this game was on a few days ago..

No, with seating times you must be there on time, or within a few minutes. They have a late seating after you at the same tables. Also, the waiters serve everyone at the sametime so they can move dinner along for everyone. You can eat on the lido deck that night and skip the Main Dining room

I groan when my table mates show up after the appetizer has been served because it does set everyone back. If you can't make it on time then Lido is the way to go... or switch to late dining for the cruise (which we do anyway... fewer children).

I actually like eating at the buffet on Lido a few times a week, where I can sit and watch the sun go down, especially if the watermelon is good. I can make a meal on watermelon, but watermelon is iffy.

I too hate to have assigned seating and latecomers, but first night there are usually a few who are a little late who cant find their table or whatever. First night is usually late.

But Ive sat there for 20 minutes while the waiters ignored our table because we had some empty seats and they wanted to wait to see if people showed up.

If Im going to miss, I try and tell my tablemates the night before, so dinner isnt delayed because i eat at lido.

I like both, kinda also depends on my tablemates too, sometimes you hit it off and want to be there more often. Or someone makes a reservation at the steak house, its only polite to let the waiter or someone at your table know ahead of time if you know. First night is tricky.

there is a football game on at 3:30 that im sure will be shown on the ship in a bar somewhere that i want to watch..usually that game is over at around 7...

we have a seat assignment for dining at 6...would it be possible to roll in at 7 and get seated or are they real strict on times?

I will obviously adhere to the 6 pm assignment if i have too. i just found out this game was on a few days ago..

I would say no but Carnival is very poor at enforcing their rules. To attempt this is very rude IMO. Go to the buffet or to a specialty restaurant that evening.

First night is tricky.

I agree. Even in the "old days" when there were thick velvet drapes that were pulled across the dining room entrance 15 minutes after the opening of the dining room on the first night the drapes were drawn 20 minutes after opening. This gave everyone a 5 minute grace period to be to dinner one time only.

For those who don't know the velvet drapes were closed to indicate to late comers "no admittance" and to go to the Lido to eat. In a way I miss the drapes because the service at the tables was smoother without late comers interrupting the flow of service. ;)

OP, the Lido Buffet is a good option if you don't want to pay for the steakhouse.

I actually like eating at the buffet on Lido a few times a week, where I can sit and watch the sun go down, especially if the watermelon is good. I can make a meal on watermelon, but watermelon is iffy.

I too hate to have assigned seating and latecomers, but first night there are usually a few who are a little late who cant find their table or whatever. First night is usually late.

But Ive sat there for 20 minutes while the waiters ignored our table because we had some empty seats and they wanted to wait to see if people showed up.

If Im going to miss, I try and tell my tablemates the night before, so dinner isnt delayed because i eat at lido.

I like both, kinda also depends on my tablemates too, sometimes you hit it off and want to be there more often. Or someone makes a reservation at the steak house, its only polite to let the waiter or someone at your table know ahead of time if you know. First night is tricky.

firefly, don't know where you have been, but welcome back!

Pat

They will not let you in, go to the buffet.