Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

I guess the mini-bar sales were not very good, this new policy of 1 bottle will boost that I think.

Perhaps not. Nothing to stop people bringing on soft drinks. Also on an average 14 day cruise 2 litres of alcohol in a cabin is still a lot for any couple to get through I would think. Unless someone is on a very long cruise then it won't have much impact.

It will be annoying for wine drinkers though and worse yet if your tipple is beer.

We think one of the great pleasures of a Med cruise is to sample local wines when ashore and buy the odd bottle to drink on our balcony. (This makes no difference to the amount of wine we buy onboard in restaurants).

We’re independent types, always exploring on our own, and do not want to be treated like naughty children and have bottles confiscated until the end of the cruise in future.

Yes we know other cruise lines have similar rules and that’s why we have chosen P&O in the past.

We’ve just enjoyed a lovely Med cruise in a suite on Oceana but these new rules are making us wonder whether we want to book another.

We think one of the great pleasures of a Med cruise is to sample local wines when ashore and buy the odd bottle to drink on our balcony. (This makes no difference to the amount of wine we buy onboard in restaurants).

We’re independent types, always exploring on our own, and do not want to be treated like naughty children and have bottles confiscated until the end of the cruise in future.

Yes we know other cruise lines have similar rules and that’s why we have chosen P&O in the past.

We’ve just enjoyed a lovely Med cruise in a suite on Oceana but these new rules are making us wonder whether we want to book another.

Totally agree with your sentiments.

Whilst I understand that P&O have to toe the corporate line, those of us who liked to take the odd bottle of wine on board, so as to enjoy a glass on the balcony whilst the other half is getting ready, are being penalised. It's not as if we are not spending money in the bars as well.

The drinks policy was one of the only advantages P&O had over other cruise lines. It's a shame they have thrown this advantage away, for very little, if any, financial gain.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Is it 1st Jan as I've seen a notification which states the alcohol policy is from 1st Feb 2018 but the dress code applies from 1st Jan???

Well - it's happened.

As of Jan 1st.

Each guest aged 18 years and older may bring one bottle of the following; wine, Champagne, beer, spirit or liqueur (up to 1 litre in size) on board as they embark the ship for the first time only. Alcohol over this limit will be stored and returned to the guest on the last evening of the cruise, at no charge. There is no corkage charge for this bottle.

You’re welcome to buy bottles of alcohol at ports along the way, but you won’t be able to drink it while on... board. We’ll look after it until your cruise comes to an end and return it to you.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/po/before-you-sail/alcohol

I forecast this would happen when lots of people were massively taking advantage of P&O goodwill for bringing alcohol on board and now it has spoiled it for everyone.

Well, I think it is a great mistake by P&O. The removal of the perks that make it so special will imho force passengers to book with other cruise lines instead. Why bother with P&O when you can sail on Celebrity or other lines that don’t have worn out, dingy ships and poor food choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, I think it is a great mistake by P&O. The removal of the perks that make it so special will imho force passengers to book with other cruise lines instead. Why bother with P&O when you can sail on Celebrity or other lines that don’t have worn out, dingy ships and poor food choice.

Exactly. Too many people have only cruised with P&O and don't know what they are missing.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately they don't do cruises from the UK with destinations that interest me.

I forecast this would happen when lots of people were massively taking advantage of P&O goodwill for bringing alcohol on board and now it has spoiled it for everyone.

I agree we have experienced excursions to vineyards on our cruises and like to buy a few bottles to enjoy on the ship. We've been on cruises however, where the sole purpose of some people has been to get off the ship to buy alcohol so I can see why P&O have brought out this new rule

The wording of the new Alcohol Policy seems a bit vague [could just be me]. Are we being allowed a bottle from each type of beverage listed or just one bottle from the whole list. Personally not that bothered because recently I have used the mini bar or ordered a litre of my tipple of choice from room service. Compared with other cruise lines P&O drinks prices are very reasonable. What I don’t want is my OBC to be replaced with an All Inclusive drinks package. This was a change of policy waiting to happen due to the number of passengers who brag about the amount of alcohol they take on board, i.e.cases of wine, roller bags, suitcases!!

:eek:Oh dear, the Hubby will not be happy - we usually take a box of red wine on board (it keeps well and will last the 2 weeks) and 2/3 mini bottles of fizz for me..sitting out on the balcony with a good book and a glass of fizz its what a sea day is about.

This replicates RCI and underscores the arrival of drinks' packages / pre-filled mini fridges. The next step will be 'an inclusive drinks' package', even for teetotal 'guests' like my wife and I. Thus, resulting to an increase in the cruise base price whether drinkers or not. The dilemma is should drinkers subsidise non drinkers or visa versa?

49 cruises 19 ships 1 liner 5 cruise lines

I think this policy was implemented in a very underhand way. P&O have just released their 2019 cruise programme. Why didn't they bring the policy in to all new bookings from that date. To allow customers to search the market for a cruise, take into account the policies of the cruise lines and book, then change those policies after booking is atrocious. It shows a complete disregard for the customer and destroys customer confidence. What could be next? No excursions for wheelchair users after wheelchair users have booked? No smoking on board at all, cigarettes and smoking materials will be confiscated at the gangway and returned at the end of the cruise? BTW how can 1 litre of spirits be fair, when you are on a world cruise?

I think this policy was implemented in a very underhand way. P&O have just released their 2019 cruise programme. Why didn't they bring the policy in to all new bookings from that date. To allow customers to search the market for a cruise, take into account the policies of the cruise lines and book, then change those policies after booking is atrocious. It shows a complete disregard for the customer and destroys customer confidence. What could be next? No excursions for wheelchair users after wheelchair users have booked? No smoking on board at all, cigarettes and smoking materials will be confiscated at the gangway and returned at the end of the cruise? BTW how can 1 litre of spirits be fair, when you are on a world cruise?

Adonia fiasco was a start,now this with alcohol what next?.

What could be next? No smoking on board at all, cigarettes and smoking materials will be confiscated at the gangway and returned at the end of the cruise?

Well, we can live in hope. That would certainly get my vote. We have ships that are free of children. Why not have one that’s free of the stench of smoke? Awaiting incoming.....;)

Well, we can live in hope. That would certainly get my vote. We have ships that are free of children. Why not have one that’s free of the stench of smoke? Awaiting incoming.....;)

Incoming..................or one thats free of anti smoking fanatics, smoking areas are clearly defined if you don't like it don't go there. Oh, bye the way I'm a non smoker.

I'm a non smoker too but I don't begrudge the ones who do. Also what have you got against children for goodness sake?! You were one once you know. :rolleyes: