November 11 sailing questions

farrboysgrandma

Our Nov 11, 7 night sailing is almost here. I've been daily reading the threads of everyone's cruise and taking in as much information as possible. We've decided our excursions and now just last minute planning and packing.

I have read so many suggestions and trying to take them all in. This is our first cruise on Paul Gauguin and I would appreciate having any suggestions on any tidbits that would help us while on our cruise. Is there any thing that you definitely should have packed or wish you would have packed, wish you would have known when and what to do while on board, all the little "now I know" suggestions that will help us.

We will be staying at IC Tahiti the night before, so we will have a little time to adjust to the time change.

I appreciate any and all suggestions that all of you experienced cruisers may have.

Any special suggestions on the dinner reservations? Do they only allow you to book one at each reservation only restaurant early in the cruise?

Depends on how full the cruise is ... usually when large numbers are on board you can book one night at each of the two specialty restaurants when you first board. Sometime during the week they will allow a second pass at reservations. This is to assure everyone has a chance to experience the specialty restaurants. Best to book Le Grille on a night when the ship stays in a lagoon so it isn't swaying in the wind up top. Specialty restaurants are a bit more romantic, not as loud, less kids. On the Polynesian Night it's best to be in the main dining room.

Book dinner reservations as soon after you board as possible.

Take critter spray.

If they have a show on Friday night at the IC go watch it.

Grab some local currency before boarding, enough for small vendors.

A polarized filter if your bringing a camera that allows one.

Thank you for the great information. We are traveling in January and will be doing the 11 day cruise and spending 3 nights before in Moorea. How much local currency do you recommend we bring and is American money accepted?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the great information. We are traveling in January and will be doing the 11 day cruise and spending 3 nights before in Moorea. How much local currency do you recommend we bring and is American money accepted?

USD is accepted at most places though small vendors prefer local CFP. Amount is dictated by what you think you might spend at local vendors or private excursion vendors who want to be paid in local currency ... this is true also in the Cook's.

USD is accepted at most places though small vendors prefer local CFP. Amount is dictated by what you think you might spend at local vendors or private excursion vendors who want to be paid in local currency ... this is true also in the Cook's.

Thanks!

Get your currency on the PG. Their rates are good. Dollars are accepted most places but the best rate is of course local currency. Shops take credit cards. You can exchange any unused currency on the ship as well.

Great - thank you!