Insignia -- tips for their Cuba ports, and info on Stateroom E6030

Wyoming2010

After 17+ cruises, we have booked our very first cruise on the Oceania line for October 2019 to Cuba. It's an 11-night and stays two nights in each Cuba port. It was the only cruise line that did that and their pricing for 18 months out was unbeatable.

We booked the oceanview room E6030. It says obstructed, but the rep said that that one is actually at the end of the lifeboats and has a clear view out the window. So we lucked out. Anyone stayed in that room? I'd love to hear opinions.

I'd also appreciate any information from those who have done Cuba with Oceania about their excursions -- suggestions, tips about what to choose, etc., and what you thought of their specialty restaurants and the feel of the ship (it will be the smallest one we have been on).

What does everyone wear to dinner -- is it really dressy?

Any information or tips is most appreciated. Thanks much.

We booked the oceanview room E6030. It says obstructed, but the rep said that that one is actually at the end of the lifeboats and has a clear view out the window. So we lucked out. Anyone stayed in that room? I'd love to hear opinions.

Thanks much.

Cabin choice is different for everyone. However, I would stay in an inside before I would get one of these obstructed view rooms. They are much smaller than another other cabin, and in my opinion, really too small for two people. Really only space for one person to get dressed at a time. That is just me. You may find them a nice compromise for the money.

Cabin choice is different for everyone. However, I would stay in an inside before I would get one of these obstructed view rooms. They are much smaller than another other cabin, and in my opinion, really too small for two people. Really only space for one person to get dressed at a time. That is just me. You may find them a nice compromise for the money.

We can't do an inside -- we have to have light (especially me, or I get seasick). I did some more research and apparently the 6030 and the one across from it are basically oceanviews with little or no obstruction compared to the ones with the boats in front of the window. Have you sailed in an oceanview on Insignia? It appears the one we picked is roomy enough for both a table with two chairs and a desk. So for the price difference, it's worth a little light. ;) Thanks much.

Those 2 cabins have a smaller boat in front of the window so yes it is still obstructed a bit

Not sure on the table & chairs

If you could get a C1 on deck 4 they are roomier

JMO

Those 2 cabins have a smaller boat in front of the window so yes it is still obstructed a bit

Not sure on the table & chairs

If you could get a C1 on deck 4 they are roomier

JMO

Thanks. We are on a tight budget because of what it will costs for all the excursions, plus we are making a road trip out of it to Miami. I found some reviews and the two people said that there was just a boat strut in front of the window. Who knows, we'll be happy just to be going. The C-1 is actually $700/pp more than the one we have -- so $1,400 more would cut into our excursion budget. But who knows, maybe they'll offer an upgrade for a reasonable price. Thanks.

Is there a promenade deck on 5 where we can go down and see the views?

There is some deck space with loungers where you can sit under the life boats

You can see the small boat that sits in front of the cabin 6030/6033

i-JP9StXX-L.jpg

We can't do an inside -- we have to have light (especially me, or I get seasick). I did some more research and apparently the 6030 and the one across from it are basically oceanviews with little or no obstruction compared to the ones with the boats in front of the window. Have you sailed in an oceanview on Insignia? It appears the one we picked is roomy enough for both a table with two chairs and a desk. So for the price difference, it's worth a little light. ;) Thanks much.

I have sailed on an obstructed ocean view on Nautica which is the same deck plan as the Insignia. Is was that trip which cemented for me that the these cabins are the ones I would never sail in again. Your view may be less obstructed than the other OV, but the size is still ~20 sqft. less than any other cabin. We had them removed the small table is it took up too much of the little floor space that there was and I don't recall there being two chairs. I also seem to remember that you could not open the closet door and the bathroom door and the same time. That was the real deal breaker for us. You may not find it an issue.

I have sailed on an obstructed ocean view on Nautica which is the same deck plan as the Insignia. Is was that trip which cemented for me that the these cabins are the ones I would never sail in again. Your view may be less obstructed than the other OV, but the size is still ~20 sqft. less than any other cabin. We had them removed the small table is it took up too much of the little floor space that there was and I don't recall there being two chairs. I also seem to remember that you could not open the closet door and the bathroom door and the same time. That was the real deal breaker for us. You may not find it an issue.

With my husband's mobility issues, it could be a problem. I will have to do more research and maybe see if we can bump up one category. I am very disappointed of the picture posted showing that boat. We were told there was no boat there, just a boat divet. Thanks.

Anybody done the oceanview rooms with the two port hole windows?

Edited by Wyoming2010

There is some deck space with loungers where you can sit under the life boats

You can see the small boat that sits in front of the cabin 6030/6033

i-JP9StXX-L.jpg

In looking at this picture, I think I see the stateroom window right at the back of the boat, just above it. So maybe it's a clear view over it and out? I know from researching reviews of the other rooms in that category, they practically have to look through the windows of the lifeboats to see out or get any light. Well, we'll see. If we keep that room, I'll report back with reviews and hopefully a picture of the actual view out the window. I can't believe no one anywhere (that I can find) has posted a picture of the view out those windows.

And there are no reviews on here for the E category for Insignia.

Well, we'll see. If we keep that room, I'll report back with reviews and hopefully a picture of the actual view out the window. I can't believe no one anywhere (that I can find) has posted a picture of the view out those windows.

If the view causes such concern, why did you book an obstructed view in the first place?

You don't want to wind up the richest person in the cemetery ;p

Well, we'll see. If we keep that room, I'll report back with reviews and hopefully a picture of the actual view out the window. I can't believe no one anywhere (that I can find) has posted a picture of the view out those windows.

If the view causes such concern, why did you book an obstructed view in the first place?

You don't want to wind up the richest person in the cemetery ;p

Originally I was told there was no boat there, just the divet but had to be considered obstructed. At the time, the next category up with a full window was $500 more each -- and as I said previously in this thread, we are traveling for 30 days to and from Florida, making it a long road trip with a drive to the Florida Keys and lots of stops along the way down the coast. I'm trying to sock money away for all that, too. It's my huge retirement gift to myself -- but one only has so much money to splurge LOL

On that note, I just heard from my travel consultant at Oceania and he said we can move up to the porthole window for a little bit more, but it is a small window. So trying to weigh whether we'd get more light from the bigger window in the slightly obstructed view room.

Anyone done the C Oceanview category with the porthole window?

Originally I was told there was no boat there, just the divet but had to be considered obstructed. At the time, the next category up with a full window was $500 more each -- and as I said previously in this thread, we are traveling for 30 days to and from Florida, making it a long road trip with a drive to the Florida Keys and lots of stops along the way down the coast. I'm trying to sock money away for all that, too. It's my huge retirement gift to myself -- but one only has so much money to splurge LOL

On that note, I just heard from my travel consultant at Oceania and he said we can move up to the porthole window for a little bit more, but it is a small window. So trying to weigh whether we'd get more light from the bigger window in the slightly obstructed view room.

From what you have posted here, I believe you would be much happier in a Oceanview room. Yes, the window is small, but the light is unobstructed. The windows are at the edge of the ship versus not only behind the lifeboats but under the floor above. While light was not an issue for us, I remember those rooms being more more dark than the porthole room on deck four. AND they are full size rooms.

Edited by KS&JW

Porthole staterooms (Cat #D) are actually on Deck #3 ... down 3 decks from the obstructed ones. The portholes are actually very small and, being down low, you can't see very much. I've been in both categories on the 'R' ships and, personally, I would go for the Cat #E obstructed view ... especially the one that you're looking at.

Porthole staterooms (Cat #D) are actually on Deck #3 ... down 3 decks from the obstructed ones. The portholes are actually very small and, being down low, you can't see very much. I've been in both categories on the 'R' ships and, personally, I would go for the Cat #E obstructed view ... especially the one that you're looking at.

I would avoid deck 3 staterooms. Once or twice I took the wrong staircase and ended up in this section. It had a dreary, below deck feel.

We’ve had C1 fourth floor cabins a couple times, we enjoyed everything including the location.

Thank you so much for your honest review. My travel consultant sent me a picture of the actual view from our room 6030, and I really don't think it's that bad. And after finding some reviews about how tiny the porthole windows are, I do think I'll enjoy the size of this window instead, even with the obstruction. Thank you again for reaffirming my instincts.

GetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATY0MDABLTkwNTktNGQ2NC0wMAItMDAKAEYAAANU1heQWTpJQpIaB4l3%2FD21BwBgxOjbvKV2RrVJjlytRvmBAAACAQwAAABgxOjbvKV2RrVJjlytRvmBAAKeXoZsAAAAARIAEADTdk3eKGGER77N7dT17Ndl&X-OWA-CANARY=9zjvcQqhxkqYxA_bskh_O-BKjPDc9NUYop2TbaDC27atbYEmSsWf0ka7AQI9MIZkCs6XC2qdObc.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjA2MDBGOUY2NzQ2MjA3MzdFNzM0MDRFMjg3QzQ1QTgxOENCN0NFQjgiLCJ4NXQiOiJCZ0Q1OW5SaUJ6Zm5OQVRpaDhSYWdZeTN6cmciLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.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.iXlCQQAL11aShtKqLJjhC8qEJYQ8IMYCggJE5NWXCx9H9ZKV32bI4TP7i3BAAC-ZqTKnyXKIf0EaZ2CSbH3VozC3n5MTU65u8bgPTFvGKxTR7dxT9nxV2LQIskWXAkwIzdUC53Z-JUWji278EJktbBSeAfmlhoe5dHg9DTnwj8OQdWxdbXdawBqTqVmYERw-Q9RXkArSn9WnA7Ay0cK0xow_SMQRqS7nyrvAUyo4MrzFCMzKyjbD5C-kzCuRKPH22iLKNPJFFdBLKLCw1f-at4J-HqDj6oBXGA-8Ok2ezvoqjXcJTkQY1EHRua5AYM4m2te8fg_s2oM1T8bqGCrvMw&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1&isImagePreview=True

Thank you so much for your honest review. My travel consultant sent me a picture of the actual view from our room 6030, and I really don't think it's that bad. And after finding some reviews about how tiny the porthole windows are, I do think I'll enjoy the size of this window instead, even with the obstruction. Thank you again for reaffirming my instincts.

GetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATY0MDABLTkwNTktNGQ2NC0wMAItMDAKAEYAAANU1heQWTpJQpIaB4l3%2FD21BwBgxOjbvKV2RrVJjlytRvmBAAACAQwAAABgxOjbvKV2RrVJjlytRvmBAAKeXoZsAAAAARIAEADTdk3eKGGER77N7dT17Ndl&X-OWA-CANARY=9zjvcQqhxkqYxA_bskh_O-BKjPDc9NUYop2TbaDC27atbYEmSsWf0ka7AQI9MIZkCs6XC2qdObc.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjA2MDBGOUY2NzQ2MjA3MzdFNzM0MDRFMjg3QzQ1QTgxOENCN0NFQjgiLCJ4NXQiOiJCZ0Q1OW5SaUJ6Zm5OQVRpaDhSYWdZeTN6cmciLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.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.iXlCQQAL11aShtKqLJjhC8qEJYQ8IMYCggJE5NWXCx9H9ZKV32bI4TP7i3BAAC-ZqTKnyXKIf0EaZ2CSbH3VozC3n5MTU65u8bgPTFvGKxTR7dxT9nxV2LQIskWXAkwIzdUC53Z-JUWji278EJktbBSeAfmlhoe5dHg9DTnwj8OQdWxdbXdawBqTqVmYERw-Q9RXkArSn9WnA7Ay0cK0xow_SMQRqS7nyrvAUyo4MrzFCMzKyjbD5C-kzCuRKPH22iLKNPJFFdBLKLCw1f-at4J-HqDj6oBXGA-8Ok2ezvoqjXcJTkQY1EHRua5AYM4m2te8fg_s2oM1T8bqGCrvMw&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1&isImagePreview=True

I would stay in that cabin....that's not a bad view. Hope you enjoy!

I would avoid deck 3 staterooms. Once or twice I took the wrong staircase and ended up in this section. It had a dreary, below deck feel.

We’ve had C1 fourth floor cabins a couple times, we enjoyed everything including the location.

Again, thank you for your frank opinion. Both reviews have cemented my feeling to stay where we are, especially after seeing the actual view we will have.

Question, the deck below us is the promenade deck. Are there usually loungers/chairs on that deck for viewing and relaxing?

Also, just curious, the picture that was posted above of the ship -- why are all the crew on the promenade deck? Are they welcoming passengers aboard?

I also appreciate the info above about the dress code for the dining rooms. How was the food onboard?

Thanks to all again. This has been a most helpful and informative thread.

There are padded lounge chairs on the promenade deck, but it isn’t a traditional walk around deck.

Food on Oceania is the best we’ve encountered at sea. Excellent service, too.

I’m not an expert on the dress code, which is country club casual. There are quite a few threads on this subject, with different people interpreting it.

The only C cabins I can think of with a port hole are at the front of the ship ..not the best place if you have mobility issues with bumpy seas

I would opt for a C cabin on Deck 4 with a window

JMO

Also, just curious, the picture that was posted above of the ship -- why are all the crew on the promenade deck? Are they welcoming passengers aboard?

They were doing a crew safety drill :halo:

There are padded lounge chairs on the promenade deck, but it isn’t a traditional walk around deck.

Food on Oceania is the best we’ve encountered at sea. Excellent service, too.

I’m not an expert on the dress code, which is country club casual. There are quite a few threads on this subject, with different people interpreting it.

Is there a promenade deck on port and starboard, but they don't connect around the length of the ship, or is there a promenade deck only on one side?

We had a porthole on deck 4 on Nautica -sister ship to Insignia. We loved the location behind the reception desk and there was adequate room for my husband who also has mobility issues. The porthole actually provided good light. Here is the view from our room.IMG_7355.thumb.JPG.dde62793e2c64d713ffa4e500233d9c8.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Forums