Non-refundable Deposits and Death of Pax(s).

nelblu

There's a huge thread on the so called deceptive & bait & switch tactics by RCL. On a more grievous circumstance what would happen to the deposit(s) in case of death? Will RCL keep the penalty per and return the balance of the deposit to the estate or return the entire deposit.

Just wondering if any family members or anyone with knowledge have encountered such a scenario.

They are under no obligation to return any money. In the past with the refundable deposit I have seen them refund the entire cruise amount when a death happened 4 weeks prior to sailing.

You would have to call to find out the answer and it could possibly be a different answer in the past, present and future or who you talk to.

They are under no obligation to return any money. In the past with the refundable deposit I have seen them refund the entire cruise amount when a death happened 4 weeks prior to sailing.

You would have to call to find out the answer and it could possibly be a different answer in the past, present and future or who you talk to.

Will try to find out next when I sail on the Anthem.

A lot depends on the terms of the travel insurance and when the event occurs. I know that the policy that I purchased for our Anthem cruise doesn't take effect until the day I leave home to go to the port, so unless my death happened then it wouldn't help at all.

Personally I would not believe any answer ship staff gave you about something that is handled shoreside.

Agree, but I figure the Loyalty Ambassador would have some inkling or refer me to someone in the states.

Not dying, but I leave all of the instructions to my kids whenever I travel. Thank goodness I'm not flying this time.

I guess it becomes the Executor's problem.:D

Cruise lines should NOT break there own contract provisions. In any circumstance that is in the normal vein of daily business. Passengers die before their trips all the time. With the 20 million annual passengers expected to cruise in 2018 according to CLIA the numbers must be thousands per year. If they refunded all of those pax

using the WHO statistics that 8 out of every 1000 will die in 2018 the math is astounding.

Besides, if they refunded passengers non refundable fare. It would completely destroy the integrity of buying insurance in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruise lines should NOT break there own contract provisions. In any circumstance that is in the normal vein of daily business. Passengers die before their trips all the time. With the 20 million annual passengers expected to cruise in 2018 according to CLIA the numbers must be thousands per year. If they refunded all of those pax

using the WHO statistics that 8 out of every 1000 will die in 2018 the math is astounding.

Besides, if they refunded passengers non refundable fare. It would completely destroy the integrity of buying insurance in the first place.

As stated insurance may not even come into play. If someone passes away before the insurance period it would be no help at all. I personally see nothing wrong with companies having a heart.

What does insurance have to do with fares especially if the fare is a refundable type. If I cancel more than 6 months out I would get my entire amount without getting the insurance company involved. Under 6 months that is different.

You also assume all of 8 have non-refundable fares.

It's different if the Paxs cancels as he/she will get the balance (less the penalty) in future cruise credits if more than 6 months out. However, when Paxs expires, does the estate get the balance of credit to use within the year. Ergo, can one of the heir(s) be able to use it.

We NEVER sail without travel insurance. A number of years back we missed a cruise because I had open heart surgery and we had no travel insurance.......lost the entire amount. Now, it is an absolute must before we leave home. Hope you do not have a loss in your family that would necessitate this situation.:):):):)

A lot depends on the terms of the travel insurance and when the event occurs. I know that the policy that I purchased for our Anthem cruise doesn't take effect until the day I leave home to go to the port, so unless my death happened then it wouldn't help at all.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to die on the cruise for insurance to cover it. Here's my policy:

The Company will reimburse the Insured a benefit, up to the Maximum Limit shown in the Schedule or Declarations Page if an Insured cancels his/her Trip or is unable to continue on his/her Trip due to any of the following Unforeseen events:

(a) Sickness, Injury or death of an Insured, Family Member, Traveling Companion or Business Partner;

Are you sure? I've booked several different travel insurance policies and I've never heard of any being that restrictive. If a covered event occurs between buying the policy and the end of travel that prevents you from going on or completing your travels it should be covered. A death at any point in time between purchasing the policy and returning on the cruise would prevent you from going on the vacation, so it should be covered.

If your policy really doesn't cover anything before the moment you leave your house it's really odd, and I'd highly suggest getting a different policy in the future. If the policy only came into effect when you left it would only be good for things like airline delay, lost luggage, or medical expenses while traveling. It wouldn't cover illness, injury, death, job loss, etc. that stop you from taking the trip at all.

IMO that is a completely worthless travel insurance policy.

We NEVER sail without travel insurance. A number of years back we missed a cruise because I had open heart surgery and we had no travel insurance.......lost the entire amount. Now, it is an absolute must before we leave home. Hope you do not have a loss in your family that would necessitate this situation.:):):):)

My Chase Visa credit card covers me up to $10k per for a covered trip charged to that card.

There's a huge thread on the so called deceptive & bait & switch tactics by RCL. On a more grievous circumstance what would happen to the deposit(s) in case of death? Will RCL keep the penalty per and return the balance of the deposit to the estate or return the entire deposit.

Just wondering if any family members or anyone with knowledge have encountered such a scenario.

There is all kinds of variables. Not to mention, when people pass away, many things are left hanging for the estate to work out. A contract was made so the logical thing would be that the contract would be followed. Any refunds due would go back to the credit card to reduce the debt on the credit card (which still means the estate would not get it). The other somewhat obvious point, is that the person, did pass away, so they won't be needing the money. But than if the travel partner was a spouse, that is another different story. Does the spouse still want to go or bring another family member, or friend? That opens up other questions. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, because my wife will just go without me........so she says.

Are you sure? I've booked several different travel insurance policies and I've never heard of any being that restrictive. If a covered event occurs between buying the policy and the end of travel that prevents you from going on or completing your travels it should be covered. A death at any point in time between purchasing the policy and returning on the cruise would prevent you from going on the vacation, so it should be covered.

If your policy really doesn't cover anything before the moment you leave your house it's really odd, and I'd highly suggest getting a different policy in the future. If the policy only came into effect when you left it would only be good for things like airline delay, lost luggage, or medical expenses while traveling. It wouldn't cover illness, injury, death, job loss, etc. that stop you from taking the trip at all.

IMO that is a completely worthless travel insurance policy.

If you buy an out of country medical only policy then you are not covered until you depart.

Buy insurance. You never know when ones time is up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Totally agree and get insurance that covers cruising.

When my mam died at home the day we were leaving our pre cruise hotel in Malaga November 2011 we aborted the cruise and flew home.

Our insurance reimbursed everything and RC reimbursed our prepaid gratuities.

As stated insurance may not even come into play. If someone passes away before the insurance period it would be no help at all. I personally see nothing wrong with companies having a heart.
We always have an annual travel insurance which covers this.

Totally agree and get insurance that covers cruising.

When my mam died at home the day we were leaving our pre cruise hotel in Malaga November 2011 we aborted the cruise and flew home.

Our insurance reimbursed everything and RC reimbursed our prepaid gratuities.

Smart move.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

there is all kinds of variables. Not to mention, when people pass away, many things are left hanging for the estate to work out. A contract was made so the logical thing would be that the contract would be followed. Any refunds due would go back to the credit card to reduce the debt on the credit card (which still means the estate would not get it). The other somewhat obvious point, is that the person, did pass away, so they won't be needing the money. But than if the travel partner was a spouse, that is another different story. Does the spouse still want to go or bring another family member, or friend? That opens up other questions. Personally, i wouldn't worry about it, because my wife will just go without me........so she says.

lol.:d

We always have an annual travel insurance which covers this.

What is annual travel insurance? I have only heard of it per trip. Outside of something like Medjet that is. Does it cover possible cancellation of any trip for that year?

Unfortunately we know from personal experience what happens when someone dies before a trip after final payment. My FIL died in an accident a couple months before the cruise. My MIL got his port fees refunded but that was it. We didn’t try to see if someone else could take his place so not sure about that. She did try to change their room but couldn’t downgrade which is what she wanted.

As cold as it seems it makes sense for RC not to change their policy if someone dies. That’s what insurance is there for.

We rarely buy insurance and take the chance. Doing the math we figure if we cancel one of 8-10 cruises then that would be about the cost of getting insurance for all of them and we have never had to cancel. So far we have won that bet. But I do get it for my parents since they have a higher likelihood of having to cancel.

And we have Medjet which covers our family for emergency medical and gets us (well patient plus one) back home in cases of emergency.