Traditional v. Anytime Dining

watson61

This thread is really making me think maybe I should switch from traditional to anytime dining for my 1st solo cruise on Princess in December. I had originally selected traditional late dining with a larger table of 8 but based on some of the past experiences of others I'm not sure I would like it if I end up with a large family.

As a single female on my first solo princess cruise I took fixed seating. I had a table for 8 with a lovely family from Australia. This was a 10 night cruise and many evenings I sat alone at the large table as the family opted for the other available venues. After that experience I’ve gone Anytime and haven’t looked back. I ask for larger tables and each night I get to engage with new folks. There’s always someone willing to be nice. I haven’t run into many grumpy travelers. Switch to anytime and you won’t regret it. There are no promises to be fulfilled. You can plan to meet later in the cruise with the positive connections or end the meal with “Lovely to meet you. Enjoy the rest of your vacation “. Definitely do it!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question for those who have gone solo before. Next cruise will be my second and the first solo. On the first cruise I asked the travel agent who did the booking that we wanted a table for 2 and they were able to accommodate us. On a couple of evenings I dined alone as my traveling companion wasn't feeling up to dinner so I was alone. Would it be any different do you think if I asked for a table alone?

I have a question for those who have gone solo before. Next cruise will be my second and the first solo. On the first cruise I asked the travel agent who did the booking that we wanted a table for 2 and they were able to accommodate us. On a couple of evenings I dined alone as my traveling companion wasn't feeling up to dinner so I was alone. Would it be any different do you think if I asked for a table alone?

Hi, if you want to sit alone? When you go to the dining room just tell them you would like to be seated by yourself. Most cruise lines have plenty of 2 tops. I would think your request would not be an issue.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the insight, I'm going on my first solo cruise, and was concerned about eating alone for 6 nights, knowing I can share dinner with others if I choose is great. Knowing that a lot of people solo cruise is also wonderful.

Hey, OP here!

I had a great time on the cruise despite crappy weather resulting in no Bar Harbor for us (required tenders).  And it snowed(!!) in Halifax, a lot.

I ended up going to the main dining room for dinner only once - I went early, which is my preference, asked for my own table, and it was fine.  I did specialty restaurants on two nights and that was great. I was nervous about it because I never did that alone before, but dining at those places was actually less awkward than the MDR.  Maybe because I have no problem dining alone in restaurants at home.  At Sabatini's the couple next to me started chatting to me and I ordered a dessert based on their recommendation that was amazing.  I went to the Crown Grill on my birthday and that got a tad awkward because the waitstaff sang to me!  I was not expecting that.  And everyone else in the restaurant clapped.  A bit of a shock to the system when you're a private person like me.

Regal Princess has Alfredo's pizza which was great. I ate twice there (no extra fee).  There were other people eating alone.

I did sit with strangers at afternoon tea and at breakfast in the MDR one day.  I met some really nice people and I wish I had done breakfast in the MDR more often, instead of going to the buffet.

• 3 months later...
On 7/8/2018 at 9:29 PM, accio_7 said:

This topic is something that I have been pondering as I approach the days leading to my first solo cruise this December. I am perfectly fine dining solo, although I do like to chat with people during dinner. I picked traditional early dining although I am strongly considering changing to My Time Dining due to our late port arrival and departure in San Juan (1 to 9 pm).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello fellow Torontonian! I am also set for my first solo cruise, in September. After endless hours on the boards about this topic, I switched from traditional 8pm dining, to Anytime for my Royal cruise. I went on cruise planner and made my reservations based on ports excursions and decided on 730 dining 4/7 nights. I need some me time as well.