Viking Sea Penthouse Veranda locations

duchess nan

We are new to Viking and also to smaller ship cruising. We have a Caribbean cruise this spring on Viking Sea category PV1 on hold and not sure what the best cabin selection would be. We currently have 5084 but wondering if there is any advantage to being on Deck 6 forward or aft. I read somewhere about differences in the windows or patio doors? Also wondering if motion would be more of a concern in one location or the other. Would appreciate any comments or recommendations.

PV3 4022 on the Sea was an excellent location for us. Homelands. No motion issues. Liked the 4th (middle) floor.

In front you're close to the theater & the Explorer's Lounge. Aft you're closer to the restaurants.

Except for a few cabins I'd take 95% of the locations on a VO ship.

We’re big fans of the PV1 cabins on deck 6 forward, having sailed on three cruises up there. They seem to be very quiet and there is less traffic in the hallway. The forward elevators don’t seem to be used as much, so that’s another plus. You are at the opposite end of the ship from the restaurants, but the walk helps burn some of the calories! We’ve never experienced any significant motion issues. As for doors and windows, there are two different configurations in the PV cabins: one with a fixed door and picture window combination and the other with a sliding door. We prefer the sliders. On deck 6 forward, the cabins with slider doors are 6000, 6001, 6006, 6007, 6008, 6009, 6014 and 6015. Not sure about the configurations on deck 5, but you can ask a Viking rep and they can tell you.

OK here is a related question. Are PV cabins worth a significant $$$ vs a DV2. We currently hold a DV2 that is absolute mid-ship on deck 5. The DVs appear a bit small in comparison to the PV and I've been contemplating working on an upgrade/up buy. For those who have experienced the two room types "is it worth it"? I'm not in the least concerned about booking excursions, dining reservation or other "perks", just the size and comfort.

Thank you so much for giving your comments. I so appreciate the advice. My husband spoke with Viking this afternoon and the helpful agent did recommend Deck 6 forward, specifically 6000. But happy to hear that 5082 was recommended as well. Sounds like either option would be fine.

OK here is a related question. Are PV cabins worth a significant $$$ vs a DV2. We currently hold a DV2 that is absolute mid-ship on deck 5. The DVs appear a bit small in comparison to the PV and I've been contemplating working on an upgrade/up buy. For those who have experienced the two room types "is it worth it"? I'm not in the least concerned about booking excursions, dining reservation or other "perks", just the size and comfort.

We only have the one experience (in a PV), which we found nice and spacious with plenty of storage [we pack heavy]. Prior to booking I felt the deck plan for DV looked cramped, and I had read reports here that DVs are short on storage. Still, a DV cabin is larger than a Celebrity S-class veranda so it can't be that crowded.

We chose a PV for an upcoming 22 day cruise in order to have more space (25% more) on a longer trip.

DV was fine for shorter cruise, although we felt that storage space was tight for us also.

Location is not as important on Viking, as it’s much easier to get anywhere on a smaller ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you so much for giving your comments. I so appreciate the advice. My husband spoke with Viking this afternoon and the helpful agent did recommend Deck 6 forward, specifically 6000. But happy to hear that 5082 was recommended as well. Sounds like either option would be fine.

As mentioned above, we are big fans of the PV1’s on deck 6 forward, but we’ve never been in the very front cabins (6000/6001). I know some folks have been a little concerned about the proximity of 6000/6001 to the “wings” that protrude from either side of the bridge. For a discussion of all those issues and photos, see this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2642110&highlight=Cabins+to+avoid

(Note also that 6000/6001 are not really the most-forward cabins as there is a cabin between the front passenger cabin and the bridge for the captain.

On our cruise this past April we had PV1 cabin 6092. It was far aft which isn't a problem. However, it was located under the World Cafe. Just about every night around 2-3 AM the crew must have been cleaning the deck area or the cafe and we could hear what sounded like chairs or tables being dragged across the floor. I had read on a travel site about being aware of what is above and below your cabin as possible sources of noise if you are a light sleeper. We didn't have a lot of options for cabins on that cruise but the next two in 2019 we have 5086 and 5084.

We have sailed in both. There is considerably more storage and flat surface space in a PV. If it makes any difference to you the PV also comes with liquor in the complimentary mini bar and is replenished daily. Don't recall a difference in balconies. They all have the simple uncomfortable 2 chairs and a table until you get up in to the Explorer suites. If it's not outrageously pricier, PV is my choice.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

Edited by MRGACRUZR

PV are a couple feet wider than V/DV, so the balcony should be the same couple feet wider.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

We traded down to the PV cabins from a Junior Suite and are very happy with our choice. The cabin is wider and as a result has much more storage space than the DV cabins. We also like the proper sitting area which gives us plenty of space for our room service breakfast on those days when we have an early start. It is difficult to get reservations on board for Manfredis so of course the extra reservation is a benefit if you like to get that type of food! We have also been very happy on the 4th floor at the front - we are active and never use the stairs if on the 4th floor! These are the cheaper PV3s although the difference in price has been reduced recently I think but if on the 6th in a PV1 the lift is needed at times!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums