Gem specialty dining

melissa

I am booked on Gem for 4/29. The website only lets me make reservations at Le Bistro or Cagneys or main dining room. I know there are other restaurants on board. Anyone know why I can't reserve the others?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am booked on Gem for 4/29. The website only lets me make reservations at Le Bistro or Cagneys or main dining room. I know there are other restaurants on board. Anyone know why I can't reserve the others?

General reservations have been open for 2 weeks. Suites for 2 1/2 weeks. Teppanyaki will sell out in a few days. The restaurant is very small. Monderno is also sold out. Normally does not happen.

More tables will be available on embarkation day, Teppanyaki will sell out within a few hours. Others will sell out during prime time quickly.

You should have booked exactly 100 or 90 days prior to sailing.

• 3 weeks later...
I did book at the 90 day mark.

I also checked 90 days and every day after. only the two specialty restaurants showed up. Reps said that they also could not see any more options. I think there is either a problem or they are not giving us the option to select until we board.

If you booked your journey through a travel agent, they sometimes can get access and make a reservation for you. I took that route last month when I experienced a similar problem. If not, then make your reservations as soon as possible once on board (easier said then done, I know).

when we booked the same gem sailing as you, we were able to book our dinners at all the specialties. but a few days later, i was looking at changing some, but they were no longer available. first only 9pm showed up, then nothing. the ship is fully booked, maybe that's why nothing is left. but back in January, when we booked the cruise, i was able to make reservations at all of them. so it was available at one time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

There have been a number of reports recently of Teppenyaki and Moderno not being available straight away for booking on some Jewel class ships.

I notice that the OP posted this back in February. It would be useful (to help others with the same query) to know when these restaurants did become available. Can you remember?

Edited by KeithJenner

We are booked on the Gem in a suite. Today is our 100 day mark. When I tried to make my reservations this morning all that came up was the Main Dining Rooms and Cagney's and Le Bistro.

Obviously there must be some kind of glitch in the system as I should be among the first to book restaurants.

I'll try calling later and see what they say.

We are booked on the Gem in a suite. Today is our 100 day mark. When I tried to make my reservations this morning all that came up was the Main Dining Rooms and Cagney's and Le Bistro.

Obviously there must be some kind of glitch in the system as I should be among the first to book restaurants.

I too only see those same options. From 90 day mark... and I'm down to 79 now. Still no other options... I called NCL last week and they couldn't give me an answer lol. "Just keep checking back" I only need to make 1 reservation and can't seem to make that happen [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wouldn't bother phoning. NCL seem to be using their special random answer generator to deal with questions on this subject. :)

I wouldn't bother phoning. NCL seem to be using their special random answer generator to deal with questions on this subject. :)

Ha, too funny!

Well my random answer was that it is a problem specific to the Gem and they are working on it but don't know when it will be fixed. She said that even if it is fixed that they will not open any booking for the missing restaurants online for cruises where the online booking window is already open and that all reservations for those restaurants will be done onboard. Hope that made sense!

We'll see if that's the case. Hopefully, I'll be able to get everything straightened out onboard.

Ha, too funny!

Well my random answer was that it is a problem specific to the Gem and they are working on it but don't know when it will be fixed. She said that even if it is fixed that they will not open any booking for the missing restaurants online for cruises where the online booking window is already open and that all reservations for those restaurants will be done onboard. Hope that made sense!

We'll see if that's the case. Hopefully, I'll be able to get everything straightened out onboard.

That actually sounds like a sensible (and likely correct answer). Thanks for reporting back.

I have a feeling that most of the issues I've seen reported have been on the Gem, so it could well be ship specific. I thought that some may have been the Jewel, but perhaps my memory was just that it was Jewel Class.

I would check back on myncl every now and then though, just in case they do open up at some point.

Good comments by all. I checked again just now and still the same limited restaurants. So booked 2 Cagney's and the 1 French to be sure to get the times and days I wanted. I am sure we all will enjoy the food no matter where we wind-up. Can't wait to get this going, May 20th

We sailed the Gem February 7-17. We had a 3 specialty restaurant package, and chose Teppanyaki, Le Bistro and Moderno. We booked specific dates and times about a month in advance of the sailing. We found that there were empty tables at all three times we were in a specialty restaurant.

On board the ship, there are several electronic notice boards that have up-to-date information on restaurant availability. We found that, if you were reasonably flexible in your timing, you could book a table for two at any specialty restaurant on any day of the cruise. The Teppanyaki had the fewest options and for good reason - it was a great experience from all points of view.

If you have pre-booked and wish to change your decisions, just speak to the maitre d' at your restaurant of choice and changes can be made.