Is "class" cruising coming back

dcruiser50

I have been wondering if class cruising is coming back? That is are we as a society going back to first class, second class, and steerage. With the increase in perks for suites, haven, restricted areas becoming the norm are we that far away from separate dinning, pool area etc.

Not sure of my feelings on this, just wondering what others are thinking

I don't think it is a class issue just a how much can you afford or want to spend on your vacation issue. We have stayed in a balcony, mini-suite, suite, and Haven cabins. Our children are grown so we have the option of choosing based on our now larger vacation budget. The last few years we have stayed in an aft-suite or the Haven not because we think we are a higher class or better but because we love being able to spread out and can afford it after many years of working and finally being able to retire. We sail every year and we are blessed that we are able to do so.

My cruises with my DD are in balconies which have worked for us. After years of 3 and 4 day Carnival cruises, she is able to return to NCL and longer cruises. We took the DGD on POA and she loved it. We were treated very well and yes, we stayed in a balcony. I personally like to sit outside and read quietly. No difference in how I felt I was treated based on my cabin.

No class difference just how much you are willing to pay for vacation and how often you wish to sail.

• Like 1

I don't think it is a class issue just a how much can you afford or want to spend on your vacation issue. We have stayed in a balcony, mini-suite, suite, and Haven cabins. Our children are grown so we have the option of choosing based on our now larger vacation budget. The last few years we have stayed in an aft-suite or the Haven not because we think we are a higher class or better but because we love being able to spread out and can afford it after many years of working and finally being able to retire. We sail every year and we are blessed that we are able to do so.

My cruises with my DD are in balconies which have worked for us. After years of 3 and 4 day Carnival cruises, she is able to return to NCL and longer cruises. We took the DGD on POA and she loved it. We were treated very well and yes, we stayed in a balcony. I personally like to sit outside and read quietly. No difference in how I felt I was treated based on my cabin.

No class difference just how much you are willing to pay for vacation and how often you wish to sail.

Right.

A "class system" would imply that someone who had the money and preference, but was of the "wrong" class, could NOT then purchase the upgraded experience.

To suggest that it's a class system because some people pay more for suites (in cruise ships or hotels), or pay more for larger houses instead of smaller homes, or because some people pay less for smaller or used cars rather than larger/fancier/more expensive cars is... not understanding "class systems".

Sadly, there are still some situations/places where some of the above is still true, but I don't think "cruising" is generally (or ever, these days) among them.

RM

I have been wondering if class cruising is coming back? That is are we as a society going back to first class, second class, and steerage. With the increase in perks for suites, haven, restricted areas becoming the norm are we that far away from separate dinning, pool area etc.

I actually disagree with the rest of the posters. I do think we're getting closer to this than we used to. Twenty years ago, your only choice was what room you got on a cruise. Now, the Haven area is set up with separate pool, separate restaurant, etc. Lots of other big lines are doing similar to try and attract people who otherwise would go on one of the smaller, upscale lines instead.

I actually don't think there's anything wrong with this. First class cabins have existed for ages on airlines. (Comfort plus type cabins are new, giving us more bands of class, I suppose.) The "first class" areas help subsidize the lower class areas.

Edited to add: I think we may be disagreeing over the definition of "class system" as it applies to cruising.

I actually disagree with the rest of the posters. I do think we're getting closer to this than we used to. Twenty years ago, your only choice was what room you got on a cruise. Now, the Haven area is set up with separate pool, separate restaurant, etc. Lots of other big lines are doing similar to try and attract people who otherwise would go on one of the smaller, upscale lines instead.

I actually don't think there's anything wrong with this. First class cabins have existed for ages on airlines. (Comfort plus type cabins are new, giving us more bands of class, I suppose.) The "first class" areas help subsidize the lower class areas.

Edited to add: I think we may be disagreeing over the definition of "class system" as it applies to cruising.

Agreed. Of course there is a class system with cruising and it IS growing. The Haven is a newer creation. All the lines are starting to do stuff like this. You get priority seating in venues, front of the line at ports, etc. That's EXACTLY a class system and I, for one.. LOVE IT :)

I think the class system has always been in place..that's why you can cruise from 700 pp to $7,000 pp for a typical 1 week cruise...its all just whats important to you. there are certain amenities that you pay for and those that are free.. that said its nice of NCL to offer the upgrade system for those of us who cannot write a check for a ship within a ship HAVEN. We were upgraded our last cruise to the Haven and I must tell you...at the Breakaway Haven Bar it was like the who's who of the ship... guys wore Tommy Bahama printed shirts with penny loafers and fancy braided belts holding up their neatly pressed chino shorts. The ladies were adorned with flowing summer dresses with "Red Sole" heels with well quaffed just left the salon hairstyles along with their Louis Vuitton "statement handbag" resting on the bar. They were lamenting over politics and 2nd vacation homes while sipping "through a straw" a well made muddled Mojito for her and for him a deep red glass of 1979 Chateau Lafite Rothschild while periodically glancing down at their Breitling Chronomat 41 timepiece awaiting their reservation at the captains table. I was just an onlooker and i felt privileged to be afforded a glance into their world.

Best,

Mark

I think the class system has always been in place..that's why you can cruise from 700 pp to $7,000 pp for a typical 1 week cruise...its all just whats important to you. there are certain amenities that you pay for and those that are free.. that said its nice of NCL to offer the upgrade system for those of us who cannot write a check for a ship within a ship HAVEN. We were upgraded our last cruise to the Haven and I must tell you...at the Breakaway Haven Bar it was like the who's who of the ship... guys wore Tommy Bahama printed shirts with penny loafers and fancy braided belts holding up their neatly pressed chino shorts. The ladies were adorned with flowing summer dresses with "Red Sole" heels with well quaffed just left the salon hairstyles along with their Louis Vuitton "statement handbag" resting on the bar. They were lamenting over politics and 2nd vacation homes while sipping "through a straw" a well made muddled Mojito for her and for him a deep red glass of 1979 Chateau Lafite Rothschild while periodically glancing down at their Breitling Chronomat 41 timepiece awaiting their reservation at the captains table. I was just an onlooker and i felt privileged to be afforded a glance into their world.

Best,

Mark

Hopefully you are just kidding!!!!

Yes and No would be my answer- Two sides to the argument as usual but I do agree the idea of making cruising avail to everyone does in fact mean its a lower class (as in classy - this has nothing to do with class) experience than it used to be --- However - Its also made the whole experience (just like budget LH airline travel available to many more and allowed these companys to survive)

However its also allowed the upsurge of (shall we say) classier operators . So choice is still available so its actually not really affecting anyone.

Class has little to do with tkt price - you cant actually buy it now - as its avail to all classes :)

If its stricly NCL your talking about then - they have simply moved with the times - Booking Haven or Suites has nothing to do with class - it could mean your booked in with people who have packed the cabin with bratty children and grandchildren - its basically roll the bones.It could be a nice experience or it could be trapped in hell.. And to be fair the same thing could happen on comps ships from MArella to Silversea. Its all about marketing and filling the ship.

Hopefully you are just kidding!!!!

yes..i am kidding...it was a play on the stereotype that all haven passengers are rich/ well off....its actually just the opposite im my opinion..we all struggle...we hate paying taxes..writing checks to daycare..mortgage payments..over paying for gasoline and bottled water... all the while trying to give our kids the best..

im just happy to be on a ship once every few years...my mistake i made was i had a 2 bedroom haven room on the breakaway...now its tough to sail in anything less.

Best,

Mark

Deleted

Of course the class system is coming back to cruising, and why shouldn't it? It exists in planes and trains, why not ships? Anyone who thinks the Haven isn't "first class" is kidding themselves. I don't think there is anything wrong with having different classes on the ship. Whether you like it or not, the additional revenue that upper classes generate helps to offset the lower revenue of steerage.

Unfortunately the OP also included a reference to "society" and class systems - I'm not going to comment on that part of OP's post.

We're entering a second (and worse) Guilded Age, and income inequality is at historic levels.

So to answer your question: yes of course.

It still makes my blood boil that the entire front outdoor area of the Bliss is off limits to non-Haven passengers. I refuse to sail on the Bliss for that offense alone.

Yes, and to anyone that says no I say you're simply not paying enough attention to what's going on aboard the past few years. Are you paying for this class system? Yes, we are if desired. We are only a few years away in my opinion where a "3rd class" will only have access to the buffet while having a choice to pay a lower rate. You'll have The Haven (1st class) the MDR (2nd class) and the Lido Buffet (3rd class). It will be reflected in pricing. Think I am crazy? Just wait and see .......

Society has classes whether proclaimed or not. Sometimes it is only the person or persons who try to create their own 'class structure'. If cruise demographics are even minutely represented by some CC posters, then 'in some people's minds' - yes, there are classes. Senses of entitlement, outward flash, name dropping ship's officers, frequent reminders of their 'status'. It might not be intentional, but these all lead to a 'better than thou' impression that really stands out when read by infrequent site members.

Also, the cruise lines' poor recognition of solo travelers in fee schedules, are telling solo travelers that they don't rate, because they don't bring in the ++++ spending. Yes, there is a slow increase in making allowances for solos, and NCL offers more acceptance than most, but across the board, solo travelers are seen as 'steerage', denied sales promotions and charged up to double the rates (sometimes triple the sales rates) in order to be allowed to cruise. I have no problem in paying up for the room portion of fees, it is all the other mark ups and restrictions that are smacks in the face and clearly send the message that the largest growing travel niche market isn't for 'them'.

It still makes my blood boil that the entire front outdoor area of the Bliss is off limits to non-Haven passengers. I refuse to sail on the Bliss for that offense alone.

It all depends on how you look at things.

Bliss doesn't have forward-facing views open to the public that are outside.

Escape doesn't have forward-facing views open to the public that are inside.

Bliss does have forward-facing views open to the public that are inside.

Escape does have forward-facing views open to the public that are outside.

If someone wants a forward-facing view that is inside on Escape, they would have to purchase a Spa pass (not including front-facing ocean-view staterooms).

If someone wants a forward-facing view that is outside on Bliss, they would have to purchase a suite.

I have no problem in paying up for the room portion of fees, it is all the other mark ups and restrictions that are smacks in the face and clearly send the message that the largest growing travel niche market isn't for 'them'.

I don't cruise solo but I'm curious as to what you mean by mark ups and restrictions. For example, how are solo guests unfairly restricted?

Yes, and to anyone that says no I say you're simply not paying enough attention to what's going on aboard the past few years. Are you paying for this class system? Yes, we are if desired. We are only a few years away in my opinion where a "3rd class" will only have access to the buffet while having a choice to pay a lower rate. You'll have The Haven (1st class) the MDR (2nd class) and the Lido Buffet (3rd class). It will be reflected in pricing. Think I am crazy? Just wait and see .......

Doesn't MSC already have something similar with their different experience classes?

Also, the cruise lines' poor recognition of solo travelers in fee schedules, are telling solo travelers that they don't rate, because they don't bring in the ++++ spending. Yes, there is a slow increase in making allowances for solos, and NCL offers more acceptance than most, but across the board, solo travelers are seen as 'steerage', denied sales promotions and charged up to double the rates (sometimes triple the sales rates) in order to be allowed to cruise. I have no problem in paying up for the room portion of fees, it is all the other mark ups and restrictions that are smacks in the face and clearly send the message that the largest growing travel niche market isn't for 'them'.

Between the studio rooms (and their associated studio lounge, only accessible to those in the studios) and the singles mixers, it seems like NCL is doing well to single folks. Hotels charge double occupancy for all their rooms - I don't know of any hotel chains that have "single rooms" the way the newer NCL ships do.

I don't cruise solo but I'm curious as to what you mean by mark ups and restrictions. For example, how are solo guests unfairly restricted?
I do cruise solo and other than the price of the cabin being equal to 2 passengers, I have no idea what other mark ups and restrictions they have put upon me.

I would, however, love to see a cruise line charge 100% single supplement if the ship is full, but if the ship sails without being full, give the solos a discount, which could be in OBC.

The amount you are willing to pay IS the class difference. No different than flying. Yes, the distinction between classes of service are swelling. The more they offer of a higher end experience and cost, the more distinct it will become for those not willing to pony up for that experience. It’s personal choice but wasn’t that the same as before? Pay the cost, upgrade your “class”. Or not...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk