Hawaii with a scooter and/or wheelchair

sandi422

Wasn't sure if this was the best board to post, or if I should post on the Hawaii board. After reading some of the posts on this board I was so impressed with the compassion shown here. We will be on NCL Pride of America for a week in March. Mom can walk only short distances. She can self transfer. On the ship she will use a scooter but we will take the chair off of the ship. I'm hoping to get some suggestions on what would be easy/accessible for her on the islands. I do have a few private tours arranged, but I wanted to toss this out to see if there are other options. Thanks in advance!

Wasn't sure if this was the best board to post, or if I should post on the Hawaii board. After reading some of the posts on this board I was so impressed with the compassion shown here. We will be on NCL Pride of America for a week in March. Mom can walk only short distances. She can self transfer. On the ship she will use a scooter but we will take the chair off of the ship. I'm hoping to get some suggestions on what would be easy/accessible for her on the islands. I do have a few private tours arranged, but I wanted to toss this out to see if there are other options. Thanks in advance!

When inquiring about what to do in port you need to always post the ports.

We did a Princess cruise to Hawaii last year and had a wonderful time. Our stops were Hilo, Honolulu, and then Kauai and Lahaina on Maui. We used a very popular tour company whose first name rhymes with Mobert, and were very pleased. I used my scooter - they had a lift at the back of the bus to move the scooter up and down while I used the steps - although, the first day, the bus driver had me ride the scooter up and down the lift which was a bit terrifying. They were wonderful to work with, and offer a variety of tours that can accomodate those with mobility issues. Enjoy the cruise!

We did a Princess cruise to Hawaii last year and had a wonderful time. Our stops were Hilo, Honolulu, and then Kauai and Lahaina on Maui. We used a very popular tour company whose first name rhymes with Mobert, and were very pleased. I used my scooter - they had a lift at the back of the bus to move the scooter up and down while I used the steps - although, the first day, the bus driver had me ride the scooter up and down the lift which was a bit terrifying. They were wonderful to work with, and offer a variety of tours that can accomodate those with mobility issues. Enjoy the cruise!

It's OK to mention the name of the accessible tour company. You just can't mention the name of Travel Agents.

We did a Princess cruise to Hawaii last year and had a wonderful time. Our stops were Hilo, Honolulu, and then Kauai and Lahaina on Maui. We used a very popular tour company whose first name rhymes with Mobert, and were very pleased.

Can you please give a little more information about the name of the tour company you used?

Thanks - I knew I couldn't mention travel agents but wasn't sure about the rules beyond that. We used Roberts of Hawaii on the Big Island, and on Oahu and were beyond pleased with them both times. We also found it a little funny - on our ship sponsored tour on Kauai we were loaded onto....Roberts of Hawaii buses. (very clean, very new, very great). I recommend going with a company that has accessible tours rather than trying to rent a car and doing anything on your own. I think you will see more, in a shorter time, with less hassle.

I disagree. Hawaii is not about seeing more in less time. It’s about soaking in the aloha feeling. Stopping in small towns, shrimp shacks, fruit stands, small galleries is not what Roberts does. They haul you around like cattle and stop at touristy places for lunch and shopping. As someone who has been to all the islands more than once and has a timeshare in Hawaii I again suggest renting a car

Sent from my iPhone using Forums