Rollater/ Wheelchair combo

M&Msmom

I am looking a possibly purchasing a rollater/ wheelchair combo. I have a rollater, however sometimes later at night my hip or back just give out and I though this might be great option for my cruise. I would appreciate and feedback or experience with this combo. Thanks

I am looking a possibly purchasing a rollater/ wheelchair combo. I have a rollater, however sometimes later at night my hip or back just give out and I though this might be great option for my cruise. I would appreciate and feedback or experience with this combo. Thanks

Rollator/Wheelchair Combos do not exist. Duel Function Rollator/Transport Chairs do exist. Drive, Medline and Lumex all make such an item.

All long as you'll be with someone that is able to push you while seated ,a Duel Function Rollator/ Transport Chairis an option. Because of the smaller wheels of a transport chair vs. the very large wheels on a wheelchair , pushing a transport chair over the various floor coverings that are on cruise ships could be challenging at times . That's not to say it can't be done.

I had one of those before I went to a physical therapist for an evaluation and got equipment that worked for me. My problem with the chair/rollator was that the chair was very uncomfortable. The small wheels conveyed every bump in the floor, so much so that my teeth hurt. Also I am very tall and using the handles when walking behind it was uncomfortable due to bending over more than I should. Good luck with whatever you choose.

After starting out with a rollator and then (as time went by and conditions worsened) determining a transport chair would be a better option, we bought one for my husband. He can use the transport chair as a rollator any time he wants, but in reality I end up pushing him most of the time. (This works out particularly well when we have a hotel pre-cruise and want to go to a restaurant across the street. Now I can just push him where previously, when he just had his rollator, he didn't want to go.) The first transport chair he looked at and tried out (at a mobility store) was 19" wide and he said it was too narrow so we ended up getting one that is 22" wide and it fits him perfectly (5'11" 240 lb). He says it is comfortable.

He always has wheelchair assistance embarking and disembarking the ship. So he transfers to the ship's wheelchair and is pushed by ship personnel/porters. I follow along pushing his transport chair with our carry-on bag on the seat. Another thing about cruise ships: have you noticed how long some of those docks are? He can easily ride in the transport chair while I push.

At the airport we also have wheelchair assistance using the airport wheelchair for him and me pushing the transport chair with our carry-on in the seat. He either sits in the airport wheelchair when we get to the gate waiting for our flight or moves over to his transport chair. He is pushed to the airplane door by airport personnel when it's time to board and the transport chair is checked there also.

Here is the transport chair he has (purchased from Amazon). It is excellent quality and weighs 27 lbs so it can be lifted into a vehicle trunk:

https://www.novajoy.com/our-products/transport-chairs/transport-chairs-heavy-duty/