Jet lag

Twitchly

So how do you cope with jet lag?

We’re flying into Barcelona the day before our cruise, arriving early in the morning. I can’t sleep on planes, so I’m hoping we can check into our hotel early and sleep for an hour or so in the morning, then stay active until evening.

What works for you?

We’re flying into Barcelona the day before our cruise, arriving early in the morning. I can’t sleep on planes, so I’m hoping we can check into our hotel early and sleep for an hour or so in the morning, then stay active until evening.

What works for you?

Don’t sleep right away. Hit the deck running. Drop your luggage at the hotel and walk around outside. Visit a market. See some sights. Acclimate by living in the new time zone like you have always lived in that time zone.

Stay hydrated - especially on the flight. Airplane atmosphere is very drying. As long as you are not taking any medication that might counteract, get some of the homeopathic jet lag pills they sell on Amazon - they work well, I have found.

Use melatonin and/or lavender oil to help you at least rest, if not sleep on the plane. Also a sleep mask and noise canceling headphones help.

When you land use peppermint or rosemary oil to help you stay awake until it’s time to sleep in the new time zone. Put a dab under your nose.

Works great for me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What works for you?

(1) First, or business, class on flights longer than 4 hrs otherwise (you are correct) there is no sleeping on planes. Started doing this about 15 yrs ago because before that our first /arrival day was almost a total waste. We’re doing almost back to back next year (one cruise ends early AM in FLL and the next sails from Barcelona the next afternoon) and while I’m hoping the cruise line can book first/business for us using our air miles, if they cannot then I’ll book it directly myself and take a chance on having to get to first port on our own. I don’t want to be totally exhausted as we try to make connections!

(2) Benadryl and a glass of wine should help you sleep on your flight. (I’ve only tried in first class but have literally slept from take-off until landing on 8hr flights. ) CAVEAT: This works for me and I’m NOT RECOMMENDING.

Depending on the hotel if we arrive early check with hotel to see when the room will be ready. For us 80% of the time we can get in the room. If we can not get in room drop our bags off and get instructions where to have lunch and then come back. We we do get in room a 3 hour nap works then we are off. Early dinner (unless you are In Spain) reading and to sleep usually we are ready to go the next day on a tour or a cruise. Also we only book economy plus or comfort plus leg room is important we are both tall

I very much agree with the great suggestions so far, especially cyber cat's of keeping going for as long as you can on the first day. That one hour nap is almost certain to stretch to 3 or 4 hours. You will then be awake at night and the jetlag will just go on for even longer.

Just one tip of my own.... Set your watch to the local time at your destination as soon as you get on the plane. It gives you longer to assimilate the idea that really is the time now and you are just going to have to the used to.it :)

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Forums mobile app

I always envy people who can sleep on planes, that's not me. A few tip I've found, don't drink alcohol or coffee on the flight, but lots of water and light meals (bring your own). As the other people say, hit the ground running, a find a naps just keep jet lag spiraling. Get plenty of fresh air, if you can, walk around the decks, eat outside, get lots of sunshine and retire after dark. You may not feel like it, but light meals, minimum alcohol and exercise can help the groggy jet lag feeling.

How do I cope with jetlag?

Not very well, I'm afraid! However, over the years I've learned to go to Europe a day or two early, knock myself out and sleep on the overnight flight, and drink lots of coffee in the morning when I get to my destination. Hotels usually aren't ready for you, and sometimes cruise ships aren't either, so I just stay awake and try to force myself to not succumb to sleep before at least 9 PM at night, local time.

Stay outside. Stay active - walk! No naps! Try to make it ‘til 9:00 before you crash into bed. It’s not easy but makes the next day so much better. I second the noise-cancelling headphones - we have some that have ear buds, not the big headphone type. I was amazed at the difference they made on our last transatlantic flight. Be very careful with Benedryl plus alcohol!

I can't sleep on planes either especially now that I sit cramped in a small seat with little padding ... but I do close my eyes and try to rest. Deep breathing, no tv or blue light after midnight. I do tour the next day for as long as I can, eat lite then sleep early...it helps me..

BARCELONA ..love it..If it was me, I would drop off luggage in the hotel, ride the hop on hop off bus..visit la sagrada familia, parc guell

And take the free walking tour...then menu of the day for dinner..

Edited by geffric

We follow Rick Steves’ advice to plan for “a pillow stop” day... take it easy at the hotel but stay awake to adjust to the time zones. I found going is much easier than on the return home! We’ve recently done leisurely spa hotels in Great Britian and Cambodia and have adjusted to the time change on the outwardbound trip easily but find coming home we suffer the hour a day reverse! On our SE Asia cruise, we spent a week before and watched our fellow cruisers newly arrived suffer the major time change!

We follow Rick Steves’ advice to plan for “a pillow stop” day... take it easy at the hotel but stay awake to adjust to the time zones.

That’s interesting. I hadn’t heard him say that before but it makes sense. I like the idea of taking it a bit easy after a sleepless night.

When we flew to Iceland, we did take a short nap (2 hours, tops) at the hotel in the morning. DH attended his conference in the afternoon while I walked around Reykjavik. Seemed to do the trick.

I’m thinking we may make that our beach day in Barcelona. Apparently there’s a beach just a 15-minute walk from our hotel, and DH wants to dip his toes into the Mediterranean. Hopefully it will be a warm enough day (mid-April).

I also like the suggestion someone made to use aromatherapy to perk up.

I love the idea of flying business or first class — I wish! Not within our means, I’m afraid. I truly loathe flying, jammed into a little seat for hours, bouncing around and certain that we’re all going to die. (I’m a white-knuckle flyer!) We are getting the extra legroom, at least, and I agree that noise-cancelling headphones make a big difference. On our flight to Iceland, I closed my eyes and listened to “Sleep” by Max Richter most of the night. I didn’t sleep, but it did help.

I found going is much easier than on the return home! We’ve recently done leisurely spa hotels in Great Britian and Cambodia and have adjusted to the time change on the outwardbound trip easily but find coming home we suffer the hour a day reverse! On our SE Asia cruise, we spent a week before and watched our fellow cruisers newly arrived suffer the major time change!

Definitely! Maybe it’s because on vacation things are new and interesting enough to keep you alert and engaged, but when you go home you’re more aware of your fatigue.

Cyber Kat's suggestions are spot on. Another thing (not sure it was mentioned): try to get back into your regular eating schedule. When we arrived in Rome for pre-cruise stays we got to the apartment around 11:30. Even though we really weren't THAT hungry we went out and grabbed a light lunch. We did take an afternoon nap (which we would do no matter where we were) and that took the edge off but not enough to make us ready for bed after dinner. The next morning it was up and off to see the City. One night should do it and you'll find your body and mind adapting right away.

Stay hydrated - especially on the flight. Airplane atmosphere is very drying. As long as you are not taking any medication that might counteract, get some of the homeopathic jet lag pills they sell on Amazon - they work well, I have found.

What homeopathic pills have worked for you?

Use melatonin and/or lavender oil to help you at least rest, if not sleep on the plane. Also a sleep mask and noise canceling headphones help.

When you land use peppermint or rosemary oil to help you stay awake until it’s time to sleep in the new time zone. Put a dab under your nose.

Works great for me.

I’ll definitely try the peppermint oil. Great suggestion; thanks!

I’ve been a little wary of melatonin. What has been people’s experience with it?

The Med is not at all warm in April but if you just dip the toes in, and that's all, you should survive. :D

Sounds like it’ll wake us up nicely, then! Or at least prepare us for the ice bucket in the spa on the Sky. ;p

I’ll stick with just dipping my toes. But my husband is determined to go in. Probably not for long!

What works for you?

Your plan is a good one, I think. In out two dozen transatlantic flights we have followed the same routine: go to hotel or apartment, if it is ready for us, have a one to two hour nap (no more!), then go about a normal day for as long as we can -- lunch and dinner at normal local times, as much walking as we can do, and housekeeping details like buying travel or museum passes, food supplies if we are renting an apartment. If the room isn't ready we go out for a coffee, take a walk, take care of housekeeping details, and return to the hotel. We have mostly lucked out and been in our room before noon, sometimes well before. We find the short nap essential -- if we get to, say Venice, at 9 AM, it's still just 3 AM back home, so some sleep is a necessity. But so is getting on a local schedule as quickly as you can. Enjoy Barcelona and be sure to have some pintxos!