Electrical outlets in room, 2-prong or 3-prong?

LongHill44

People do all kinds of things they aren't supposed to do. If the security screener sees a surge protector they will confiscate it but they obviously don't catch everything. It's a fire hazard because ship wiring is different from land-based home wiring and there is a chief engineer who has worked for ships for many years who has explained it very well here at CC. You do not need a surge protector because the ship wiring behaves differently than home wiring. Your equipment will all be safe.

You CAN bring a multi-outlet device as long as there is no surge protector built in. The outlet in the cabin is 3-prong. We bring an extension cord that has 3 outlets on the end. The cabin outlet has been a good distance from the bed in all our cruises and we need the extension cord for my wife's cpap as it needs to be next to her in bed. We also bring a 5-port USB charger to plug in phones/cameras/tablets/etc... None of it has surge protection.

Why am I reading that people being them? I heard there is only one outlet with a place to plus in two iteams?

So no here has ever used a surge protector on the ship?

No, I have never used one, because it is dangerous, but remember, rules are only for other people, not you. You said you need it for phones etc, so just get a plug adapter, with USB plugs on it, and/or, get a simple 2 pin adapter for the 240 outlets so you can charge you iPhone on those. ($1.49)

Yes, don't get a USB multi-port that has power outlets on it as well, as these are usually (not always) surge protected, like the ever popular Belkin mini. Most straight USB multi-ports only have a two prong plug, and that is a clue that it isn't surge protected. Then either get a three way splitter, or a power strip that is not surge protected, for your higher wattage needs.

Why am I reading that people being them? I heard there is only one outlet with a place to plus in two iteams?

So no here has ever used a surge protector on the ship?

I've had a few responses to my posts on surge protectors, where someone has plugged a Belkin mini in on a ship, and shortly thereafter smelled hot plastic, and found the Belkin hot to the touch. A few years back, someone brought a surge protected power strip on my ship, and it went up in flames.

Between the 4 phones and who knows what else I plan to bring a surge protector.

How many prongs are the outlets in the cabin, 2 or 3?

Thanks

Thanks to you reminding me I just ordered a 6 USB outlet from Amazon and a couple of extra long cords. so all my charging needs will be covered.

Thanks to you reminding me I just ordered a 6 USB outlet from Amazon and a couple of extra long cords. so all my charging needs will be covered.

Which would be surge protected, This is all you need https://www.homedepot.com/p/6-Outlet-Power-Strip-with-3-ft-Cord-YLPT-90A/203353675

All devices come with USB plug ins, so a surge protected 6 USB might be confiscated

Edited by coevan
spelling

Which would be surge protected,

All devices come with USB plug ins, so a surge protected 6 USB might be confiscated

Actually, most multi-USB hubs, that do not have power outlets, are not surge protected, even when their advertising says they are. If they have a two prong plug, which nearly all of them do, then they are "voltage protected" not "surge protected", big difference, but ad writers use the term "surge" because folks think its safer.

Actually, most multi-USB hubs, that do not have power outlets, are not surge protected, even when their advertising says they are. If they have a two prong plug, which nearly all of them do, then they are "voltage protected" not "surge protected", big difference, but ad writers use the term "surge" because folks think its safer.

Exactly, and the surge protected ones cost way more than I spent. ;p

This way we can charge phones, fitness trackers, and tablets all at once.

Seems Carnival allows a lot in regards to charging multiple phones.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2822/kw/electrical%20outlets%20in%20rooms

Yes, this is what everyone has told you here. You can bring extension cords, power strips, multi-USB chargers, and outlet splitters, but as everyone responded to the wording in your first post, surge protectors are not allowed. So, any of the above, or however many of the above you want to bring is fine, so long as they are not surge protected.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, don't get a USB multi-port that has power outlets on it as well, as these are usually (not always) surge protected, like the ever popular Belkin mini. Most straight USB multi-ports only have a two prong plug, and that is a clue that it isn't surge protected. Then either get a three way splitter, or a power strip that is not surge protected, for your higher wattage needs.

Thanks for for the info! I need a clarification about USB hubs please. I've read in one of your previous posts that all Anker usb hubs have surge protection, and then another post said that a lot of these hubs say surge protection in the description, but they are not actualy surge protected. So are the Anker USB hubs ok to use?

Thanks for for the info! I need a clarification about USB hubs please. I've read in one of your previous posts that all Anker usb hubs have surge protection, and then another post said that a lot of these hubs say surge protection in the description, but they are not actualy surge protected. So are the Anker USB hubs ok to use?

I've done quite a bit of research on these over the past couple of years. A lot of it has been direct communication with the engineers at the manufacturers, because even their marketing copy uses terms incorrectly, and this is what has caused confusion between my early posts and later ones. Basically, if the USB hub has a two prong plug, it does not have surge protection, as surge protection uses semi-conductors to dump excess voltage to ground, so no ground prong, no connection to ground. What I have found is that many of these manufacturers call "voltage regulation" as "surge protection". Voltage regulation merely shuts off the output of the hub when the input voltage gets too high. So, "voltage regulation" does not require a ground connection since it doesn't dump excess input voltage, it merely shuts off the output to your electronics. However, "voltage regulation" does not protect devices from very high voltages like lightning strikes or power transformer failures that you get on land, and these USB hubs should be used with a surge protected power strip in your house.

What I have found is that the vast majority of "pure" USB hubs (the only outputs are USB ports) do not have surge protection. USB hubs that also incorporate power (110v) outlets are most frequently surge protected (and have a three prong plug).

The Anker units are not surge protected.