Laptops ? Can This be Tue?

sail7seas

I just read in the Suite Amenities thread someone (sorry didn't catch the name) that some suites have laptop computers in the suite? Is it possible I might have that in an "SE" Penthouse on Dawn? I've been wrestling with whether to bring a device of one sort or another with me and it would be great to have a laptop provided for now and then use.

Never heard about it, but that could be me. :)

What kind of to be borrowed laptop would beat an self brought tablet or compact 13" laptop? (in other words, I don't think it will or can be much, bring your own device would be my advice, loaded with the software you need, in working order etc)

We have had laptops in the Owners suite, Deluxe Owners Suite and the Garden Villa….those are the only places I know of that have one. They are pretty old. We always bring our iPads

Edited by mommyto2girls

All I want it for is e-mail and a bit of surfing but apparently Penthouse Suites don't qualify.

Thanks so much for your responses.

An iPad (mini) is great for that, we always bring our tablets on international flights for some entertainment (books, movies, small games, etc) so we have them with us anyway. Not sure though if I would bring them on a shorter travel distance too.

Sail, we borrowed one from the ship one time when we were in a penthouse suite. It was quite a while ago, and they had very few. I wouldn't rely on one being available, although one never knows. We use our smartphones now for email and surfing.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

All I want it for is e-mail and a bit of surfing but apparently Penthouse Suites don't qualify.

Thanks so much for your responses.

The laptop we had in the OS on the Jewel was old and so slow. Since you still need to buy the minutes you could bring your own or go to the internet café onboard. We have had good luck with the onboard internet cafes and when we did have any problems the "lost" minutes were replaced:)

I sat down at the Breakaway's Internet Center in late March & looked at the PC setup, which I imagine can't be much different than the laptops on the older POA or other ships in the fleet - it's virtually stripped down - and your choice of browser, the one & only - Internet Explorer. No firewall & anti-virus protection running, aside from whatever MS might be running in the background or further upstream at the server/router - there is no way I would open or launch anything to check personal email, and risk data breach - IMO, of course.

-

Bring one's own iPad mini or Android tablet, a mini/folding keyboard and connect to their network node for any surfing.

I'm always skeptical of public and loaner devices for malware. Is there anything loaded on there to capture my userid/password?

I prefer to bring my own device with a VPN.

I was travelling in Hong Kong..... I had to plug my camera media card into their computers to have my pictures photofinished. When I got back to my hotel room to copy the images to my personal laptop.... Norton found a virus on the camera card from the photofinisher.

Edited by xlxo

Good advice. Thank you. :)

I'm thinking of getting one of the new Microsoft Surface Pro lightweight devices. Can serve as good travel laptop as well as tablet.

Edited by sail7seas

I just read in the Suite Amenities thread someone (sorry didn't catch the name) that some suites have laptop computers in the suite? Is it possible I might have that in an "SE" Penthouse on Dawn? I've been wrestling with whether to bring a device of one sort or another with me and it would be great to have a laptop provided for now and then use.

Hi

Yes there is a laptop in the Deluxe Owner Suites I can only report from the Gem Deluxe Owner Suite, you still have to sign up for Internet but the laptop is there for your use.

Hi

Yes there is a laptop in the Deluxe Owner Suites I can only report from the Gem Deluxe Owner Suite, you still have to sign up for Internet but the laptop is there for your use.

We also had one in the Breakaway OS and DOS

• 2 weeks later...
Good advice. Thank you. :)

I'm thinking of getting one of the new Microsoft Surface Pro lightweight devices. Can serve as good travel laptop as well as tablet.

Sail, I am very happy with my Microsoft Surface Pro. I use it for my freelance work as it's so easy to transport. It takes a little while to get used to a smaller screen, so I suggest purchasing it at least a few weeks before your trip.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Correct. GV, DOS and OS all have laptops. Not very good ones, but if you are getting the package of minutes, they would be fine for surfing or emails.

Ours wasn't even adequate for that. The keyboard was dying. It was still impressive to find when we first walked in though.