Northern Europe experts, please help us choose.

kath00

My mom and I are going on a cruise on June 19, 2016 on the Celebrity Silhouette. I posted the itiniary below. She is requesting this cruise because it will give her CME credits (she's an NP).

I would like to add a cruise on either before or after this sailing. I have been looking at options and the ones that catch my attention are:

HAL Koningsdam June 12, 2016 7n (Norse Legends): Alesund, Amsterdam, Bergen, Cruising Geirangerfjord, Eidfjord, Geiranger, Hardangerfjord

and

HAL Koningsdam July 3nd, 7n (Viking Sagas): Amsterdam, Cruising Oslo Fjord, Cruising Sognefjord, Flaam, Kristiansand, Oslo, Stavange

Any advice would be appreciated.

Katherine

601610331_HALNEWSHIPJune12thAmsterdam.jpg.03dc54e010e8e7a9d9fc8d7f947da732.jpg

1353678712_HALJuly3rd7nVikingSagas.jpg.e3f640bd783d11777fcf6eeaeb596205.jpg

Edited by kath00

I think nr. 1 is more attractive if you want to see the fjords. Sailing Geirangerfjord is great. More nature in this cruise.

Nr. 2 Oslo fjord is not realy a fjord, but then you have a stop in Flam, where you can make a nice trainride.

But whatever you decide, both are great.

I think I would go for #1 also, but if you did #2, you would have a couple of days between to explore Amsterdam.

HOWEVER...If I am reading the Silhouette cruise correctly, you are leaving from Stockholm. The June 12 Koningsdam cruise ends in Amsterdam. How would you be getting from Amsterdam to Stockholm in time to board a cruise the same day? Aaah...Now I see that the Silhouette overnights in Stockholm, so yu would be able to make it. But based on the logistics of the transfer, I would move my choice to #2. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

You cannot go wrong with either itinerary. Both offer fjord sailing, with an interesting small town at the end. Both offer some cities with lots to offer.

Of the two, I would probably choose the first, as I love Alesund, and Geirangerfjord. Bergen has the old area from the Hanseatic League era, as well as plenty of places outside of town to enjoy.

The first option gives you a wider variety. Alesund might be the most charming European city we've been to while Bergen in itself has so much history. And, as others have said, there is the majestic Geirengerfjord. I don't think you could go wrong with either one, as Oslo (from what I hear, haven't been yet) is also lovely.

Essiesmom makes a great point about logistics. If it were me, I'd opt for the second option for that reason.

Edited by Lisa63

My mom and I are going on a cruise on June 19, 2016 on the Celebrity Silhouette. I posted the itiniary below. She is requesting this cruise because it will give her CME credits (she's an NP).

I would like to add a cruise on either before or after this sailing. I have been looking at options and the ones that catch my attention are:

HAL Koningsdam June 12, 2016 7n (Norse Legends): Alesund, Amsterdam, Bergen, Cruising Geirangerfjord, Eidfjord, Geiranger, Hardangerfjord

and

HAL Koningsdam July 3nd, 7n (Viking Sagas): Amsterdam, Cruising Oslo Fjord, Cruising Sognefjord, Flaam, Kristiansand, Oslo, Stavange

Any advice would be appreciated.

Katherine

Just curious, if you opt for #1, after the 6/12 7-n (Norse Legends), Koningsdam goes on to a 14 day/night Baltics itinerary, which essentially covers the same ports as the Celebrity Silhouette, except more overnight port on Celebrity and less sea days since it's a one-way journey.

Logistic-wise, it makes more sense to do both itinerary on Koningsdam...

Just curious, if you opt for #1, after the 6/12 7-n (Norse Legends), Koningsdam goes on to a 14 day/night Baltics itinerary, which essentially covers the same ports as the Celebrity Silhouette, except more overnight port on Celebrity and less sea days since it's a one-way journey.

Logistic-wise, it makes more sense to do both itinerary on Koningsdam...

But the Silhouette cruise has a double overnight in St Petersburg...EM

If you can work the logistics, #1. I've been fortunate to visit (and live in) some spectacular places in the world, and I thought Geirangerfjord couldn't possibly live up to the hype. It does.

I'm not the OP, But have my eye on a 7 night Norway Fjordscruise next June on the Rotterdam that visits both Alesund and Gerainger along with Eidfjord and Bergen. We are already doing a Rhine River cruise and the timing of this fits perfectly! Based on above comments sounds good!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

But the Silhouette cruise has a double overnight in St Petersburg...EM

Exactly, I have been debating it myself whether to do Silhouette or Koningsdam for this Baltic itinerary. More overnights or more ports...

I've been all over this globe, except Antarctica and Greenland.

I can think of nowhere more majestic than Geirengerfjord. Go there, stat.

THIS! I would go back there a gazillion times if I could.

RotterdamGeiranger_zpsd9c1ae3a.jpg