Can a Registered Sex Offender (Tier 1) go on a Carnival Cruise Line?

Gpsysoul74

If they cancel I've read that they refund it. But we shall see.

That may be, but they would only cancel his. You are still able to go so there would be no reason to cancel your booking. At least potentially that may be the way it works (and I'm not certain that travel insurance would cover unless you had cancel for any reason insurance).

For the life of me I will NEVER understand why people come on message boards for legal questions. (Not specifically this post/topic). I don't know any of you people and wouldn't trust you as far as I could throw you when it comes to legal advice for anything. (Nothing personal as some of you are probably decent people).

For the life of me I will NEVER understand why people come on message boards for legal questions. (Not specifically this post/topic). I don't know any of you people and wouldn't trust you as far as I could throw you when it comes to legal advice for anything. (Nothing personal as some of you are probably decent people).

I think it's more a matter of coming on here asking for personal experience versus actual legal advice. Ask 100 lawyers a question and your likely to receive 100 different answers, which isn't too far off from what happens on here sometimes.

I absolutely cannot answer your question about cruising. Just have a question about his status. I'm assuming since you have kids and he would want to be around playgrounds and schools and what not without drawing attention to it. You guys have consulted with an attorney in determining if there's anything he can do to seal his record or have his status changed? That's usually the best way to go about leaving the country after an excluding offense (felonies, DUIs if you want to go to Canada, etc)

By no means would I go to a blog for legal advice but rather for others experiences. Simple. If it doesn't pertain to you don't post in this blog however and unfortunately there are others in my families' situation.

Update:

I have not spoken to Carnival yet however, we spoke to a probation officer in which he stated that as long as you get something in writing (21 days prior to trip) from your local Sheriffs office (where you report to) stating that you can travel, you are not on probation etc. you should not have a problem (unless you are a Sexual Predator, that is a different story). They want you to bring the itinerary of travel (to see where you will be daily). Once you are a registrant, you must ask for "permission" for life if you are leaving the States. If you are going to another state for more than a couple of days you also need to let your local sheriff know and also report in the new State that you will be visiting (of course every state is different. I am in Florida). According to the PO he stated that another RSO was also going on a cruise, he went and got a letter from the Sheriff's Office. 3 Weeks before the cruise, Carnival called him to inform him that they found out he was an offender however, this guy emailed them documents that he was good to travel with his family and Carnival allowed him to travel. I will keep everyone updated. Until I receive the letter of approval for travel I am not going to just call Carnival.

Here is some info from the FDLE website (Florida):

http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/FAQ.jsp#Question6a

• What information is a sexual offender/predator required to report if he or she is planning to travel or move outside of Florida or the United States?
    • A sexual offender/predator planning to travel to other states within the U.S. must report in person to the sheriff of the county where he or she currently resides in Florida within 48 hours before the date he or she intends to leave Florida; OR

• If the intended destination is outside of the U.S., he or she must report in person to the sheriff of the county where he or she currently resides in Florida at least 21 days before the date he or she intends to travel;AND

• Must provide to the sheriff the address, municipality, county, state, and country of the intended residence, and for international travel, a sexual offender/predator must also provide travel information, including expected departure and return dates, flight number, airport of departure, cruise port of departure, or any other means of intended travel.

• Any travel that is not known (unexpected) by the sexual offender/predator within 48 hours (within the U.S.) or 21 days before departure (international travel), MUST be reported to the sheriff's office as soon as possible before departure.

Edited by Gpsysoul74
Received more info

I would still check with Carnival, because their rules might be that they don't allow sex offenders on their cruises, making the information from your local authorities worthless. Best to make sure with Carnival, because it would be horrible if they turned him away.

I would still check with Carnival, because their rules might be that they don't allow sex offenders on their cruises, making the information from your local authorities worthless. Best to make sure with Carnival, because it would be horrible if they turned him away.

I am going to call them as soon as he visits the Sheriffs office this week just in case they ask for documentation, I can say that I have it. If they cancel we are ok. We have PLAN B to go somewhere else but thank you.

I am going to call them as soon as he visits the Sheriffs office this week just in case they ask for documentation, I can say that I have it. If they cancel we are ok. We have PLAN B to go somewhere else but thank you.
I wish you luck and hope you will be able to go on the cruise and have an outstanding time.

I haven't called Carnival at all. I was just asking for others experiences or maybe for someone who works for Carnival to respond. I don't have to accept anything and I'm free to ask whatever I want since there are many families in my situation. Not all whom are classified as S.O.s should be registered as such but unfortunately we will live with it. However, it doesn't hurt to ask.

In some states ),it is statutory rape, a very serious crime. (A minor cannot give consent.) And, yes, you (we) may ask anything you wish.

Just keep in mind there are two separate issues here. 1. Leaving the US with proper permissions (which it appears you have worked out) and 2. Getting another country to allow you in. This is the bigger hurdle. Any country can exclude a visitor for any reasons they choose. I don’t know how much checking they do on the passenger manifests for cruise ports. But, for example, you can’t enter canada with a recent DUI. So while you may work out being able to leave, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s home free to travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just keep in mind there are two separate issues here. 1. Leaving the US with proper permissions (which it appears you have worked out) and 2. Getting another country to allow you in. This is the bigger hurdle. Any country can exclude a visitor for any reasons they choose. I don’t know how much checking they do on the passenger manifests for cruise ports. But, for example, you can’t enter canada with a recent DUI. So while you may work out being able to leave, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s home free to travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just for the sake of completing the thought.......... we must remember, he must be permitted to re-enter the U.S. at the end of the cruise. is there any obvious reason to think that could be a problem ? We do not know the status of any possible probation or community service or any other sentence he needs to complete.

Just for the sake of completing the thought.......... we must remember, he must be permitted to re-enter the U.S. at the end of the cruise. is there any obvious reason to think that could be a problem ? We do not know the status of any possible probation or community service or any other sentence he needs to complete.

You only request permission in other countries if you are staying over night. He is not on probation. He already did his probation and paid fines.

You only request permission in other countries if you are staying over night. He is not on probation. He already did his probation and paid fines.

Did he commi the offense in another country or in U.S? Does he carry U.S. passport?

Good he has fulfilled his sentencing obligations.

In the U.S. and no he doesn't have a passport. We don't need one for this cruises itinerary.

The reason I asked where the offense took place is that it is not relevant what the law is as to giving consent in any other country with respect to his charges. What matters is the law where the event happened.

I hope your family gets to cruise and you all have a great cruise.

It occurred in another state and only got 5 mos, probation and a fine. The judge gave him the bare minimum and he was classified as a Tier 1 with 15 yrs of registry. Florida puts everyone under the same category and registers for life (had we known we would not have made the move to here) but this is why once we tell them what occurred (according to Sheriffs office) and show him what the judge put in writing we should be ok. Thank you.

It occurred in another state and only got 5 mos, probation and a fine. The judge gave him the bare minimum and he was classified as a Tier 1 with 15 yrs of registry. Florida puts everyone under the same category and registers for life (had we known we would not have made the move to here) but this is why once we tell them what occurred (according to Sheriffs office) and show him what the judge put in writing we should be ok. Thank you.

Thank you for explaining , I would think it is not easy Good luck.

My boyfriend was denied. Same scenario. We got the phone call one week from our sail date. All the cruiseline said was that a global security company didn't clear him and he would not be allowed to board. Obviously, I'm not going to go without him. It's extremely disappointing to say the least.

My boyfriend was denied. Same scenario. We got the phone call one week from our sail date. All the cruiseline said was that a global security company didn't clear him and he would not be allowed to board. Obviously, I'm not going to go without him. It's extremely disappointing to say the least.

How much of your cruise fare was refunded?

How much of your cruise fare was refunded?

That is sad. The Sheriff's Office said he shouldn't be denied (although it is case by case) and to get something in writing. Another offender was able to travel because he had documentation. The cruise ship investigator called him and had him email the documents stating he was not a re-offender and could travel and they allowed him to go.

That is sad. The Sheriff's Office said he shouldn't be denied (although it is case by case) and to get something in writing. Another offender was able to travel because he had documentation. The cruise ship investigator called him and had him email the documents stating he was not a re-offender and could travel and they allowed him to go.

Sorry to hear that. Was he off probation? Did he get approval? 21 days before a trip you must get approval by your Sheriffs office. Just curious. Hope you guys plan something else and you have fun. God bless you.