Port Lockroy: Penguin Post Office

digitl

Anyone who has visited Port Lockroy, or who is thinking of a trip to Antarctica, might want to watch 'Penguin Post Office' on BBC 2 at 20:00 this coming Thursday, 24 July.

We will certainly be watching as the BBC were filming the programme when we were there earlier this year.

Beyond description, but magical will do for now...!

Anyone who has visited Port Lockroy, or who is thinking of a trip to Antarctica, might want to watch 'Penguin Post Office' on BBC 2 at 20:00 this coming Thursday, 24 July.

Thanks for the tip, although I don't get BBC 2 here! ;) Any chances for it to be available online to non-UK residents later on?

No indication of opening it up to an international audience at the moment. I'll keep an eye open.

In the meantime, how about a day trip to the Channel coast? Reasonable BBC 2 reception there!

Thanks for the info digitl, I might have missed it as we've friends coming round. I'll record it.

SarniaLo - My internet provider (TalkTalk) provides me with a router and digi-box that can connect my TV directly with the internet & I can watch most of the programmes that I miss that were screened on any of the 5 main channels available in the UK. You might have the same type of set-up. Alternatively, you could probably find it on BBC iplayer, again on the internet.

Edited by BORDER REIVER

Thanks for the info digitl, I might have missed it as we've friends coming round. I'll record it.

You do realise that doing so will turn out to be pretty expensive? You will want to go there and go there soon!

SarniaLo - My internet provider (TalkTalk) provides me with a router and digi-box that can connect my TV directly with the internet & I can watch most of the programmes that I miss that were screened on any of the 5 main channels available in the UK. You might have the same type of set-up. Alternatively, you could probably find it on BBC iplayer, again on the internet.

The BBC prevent anyone outside of the UK from using iPlayer (though it's possible to circumvent this using a proxy server).

Edited by digitl

You do realise that doing so will turn out to be pretty expensive? You will want to go there and go there soon!

It'll be only the live programme I'll miss. Plans for Antarctica are still on-going but it could still be a few years away yet. Plus, my wife is getting very nervous about getting on any kind of aircraft right now. I will be patient and we will go to Antarctica. Our Cunard and Hurtigruten trips to Norway could have been our Antarctic trip, but my wife has now seen Norway in luxury as she's always wanted (my treat for her), sailed on a small ship (Nordnorge) (my birthday present from her) and she agreed to fly to Norway and back. So we're getting there slowly. It will happen....and my wife has indicated that she wants to visit Spitzbergen with Hurtigruten...that should also be possible when the time's right.

We did Spitzbergen on Fram last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Quite different from Antarctica, but a useful 'taster'. It was the first of the three circle crossings we were to make by ship within three months: Arctic Circle, Antarctic Circle and Equator.

Don't forget that Hurtigruten's 5% discount on future trips is time limited.

The BBC prevent anyone outside of the UK from using iPlayer (though it's possible to circumvent this using a proxy server).

That's what I was afraid of. I'll try to find a way.

Let us know what you thought about the documentary!

We've just spent a very enjoyable hour watching 'Penguin Post Office'. It was superb and we now know what happened on the other 364 days of the year when we were not at Port Lockroy: the changes in the ice were most noticeable and the penguins were much cleaner early in the season compared with February and March for example.

It was also lovely to see the 2013/14 Port Lockroy staff again and to be reminded of their visit to Fram for a shower(!) and dinner on the night we spent at anchor in the bay.

My only criticism would be that only skuas were presented as penguin predators and no time was given to others such as leopard seals (we saw one in magnificent and bloody action on our first visit) and orca.

For those outside the UK who are unable to see the programme on BBC iPlayer, it might be helpful to know that the end credits referred to the programme being made by 'GB Films for BBC and Thirteen/WNET New York'.

Oh, and after being reminded of just how amazing Port Lockroy and Antarctica are, a third visit may be on the cards...

Thank you for the feedback digitl, and for the added information about the production, I will try and look for it.

Oh, and after being reminded of just how amazing Port Lockroy and Antarctica are, a third visit may be on the cards...

I haven't seen the documentary, but this is also very much in the planning for us. ;) It's funny because our first trip (Antarctic Circle with MS Fram) was so amazing that we were a bit "scared" to come back, worried that the magic would wear off. The second trip was so completely different but still so incredible that now I know Antarctica can be so much more than the one trip of a lifetime and I really, really want to go back if I can.

We did the 'Great Explorers' trip (Peninsular, South Georgia, Falklands) trip on Fram in 2012 and then the Antarctic Circle trip, again on Fram, this year. Both were beyond amazing so it will be difficult to decide on a third itinerary though a second visit to include South Georgia and the Falklands would be good.

Spitzbergen on Fram last year was excellent but didn't have quite the 'punch' of Antarctica and I'm not expecting our trip to Greenland on her next year to meet Antarctica's standards either, though I'm sure we'll more than enjoy it.

That was great viewing & it's certainly made me think carefully about which part of the season to visit when we eventually go. Early & have everything pristine and clean or later and see more wildlife, but in less clean conditions.

All that sex and violence :eek: (in the penguin colony) too, shocking ;)

My wife will find our trip a bit stressful at times, she hates seeing animals being killed & will want to look away, but death for some is survival for others. I keep telling her that wild animals seldom die of old age. I've seen film of leopard seals and orcas in action & it's gory, but compelling to watch. I'll watch this again before it disappears from iplayer.

That was great viewing & it's certainly made me think carefully about which part of the season to visit when we eventually go. Early & have everything pristine and clean or later and see more wildlife, but in less clean conditions.

All that sex and violence :eek: (in the penguin colony) too, shocking ;)

My wife will find our trip a bit stressful at times, she hates seeing animals being killed & will want to look away, but death for some is survival for others. I keep telling her that wild animals seldom die of old age. I've seen film of leopard seals and orcas in action & it's gory, but compelling to watch. I'll watch this again before it disappears from iplayer.

Later is our preference. You still see some eggs but you also see the developing chicks along with fur seal pups. There's more going on and you soon get used to the 'odour' of an ageing nesting site!

As for deaths, we have seen a minimal number: a leopard seal (which came back for seconds) and skua with a couple of gentoos. Oddly enough, the sadness tends to be diminished a little by the circumstances, the location, the creatures involved and the realisation that for one creature to survive the other can't. What was shown in the programme was, of course, condensed from many weeks of filming and was selected to make a 'compelling' narrative.

My wife will find our trip a bit stressful at times, she hates seeing animals being killed & will want to look away, but death for some is survival for others. I keep telling her that wild animals seldom die of old age. I've seen film of leopard seals and orcas in action & it's gory, but compelling to watch.

We did not see any animals killed during our expedition, though it was not from want of trying by predators --- a leopard seal very visible along the shore, hoping for penguins to jump in; skuas flying all around the penguin rookeries, hoping to nab a chick, as adult penguins screeched at them.

And, most dramatic of all, very early one morning a group of killer whales were spotted off our starboard bow. This was incredible enough to see, but then the killers saw a minke whale -- breakfast for them -- and gave chase. Our ship (Nat Geo Explorer) followed the chase; this went on for about two hours, as the distance between the minke and the killers got smaller and smaller. By happy coincidence, two of the world's leading killer whale researchers were on board with us, telling us what was going on and what would happen if the killers actually caught the minke -- how the killers would actually do the kill.

One of the researchers asked, "Is anyone rooting for the minke?" I think everyone on board was torn -- not wanting to see a minke whale get killed, but on the other hand, knowing how astonishing it would be to see this.

As the chase played out, it was like being in an episode of a Discovery Channel series, only this was live! We were all missing breakfast, it was freezing out (no one had expected to spend more than about ten minutes out on deck for a killer whale photo op at 5:30 am. and most of us had dressed quickly so as not to miss the whales and hadn't put on a bottom base layer), and... nature was calling. I knew that if I stepped inside to address any of these needs, the killers would catch the minke and I would miss it. So I did not budge from the deck.

Finally, after a couple of hours and just as the killers were getting pretty close, the minke lost them in a large area of brash ice. I know that I personally saved the minke's life by never leaving the deck. :)

The good news for the researchers is that the killers were then pretty tired and came over to check out our ship. The researchers were able to jump in a zodiac, follow the killers, and "tag" them with depth and location tags (shot into them with a sort of crossbow), the FIRST TIME ever that Type A killer whales had ever been tagged. It was a really big deal for killer whale research, and, all in all, one of the most incredible mornings on the entire incredible trip.

KillerWhaletagging1024x679_zps1833c185.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06

That is so NOT FAIR [stamps feet, throws toys out of pram]. We still have to clap eyes on a single orca despite many, many hours searching in southern and northern waters! Perhaps on our trip to Greenland next year... I have set it as a challenge for the expedition staff!

That is so NOT FAIR [stamps feet, throws toys out of pram]. We still have to clap eyes on a single orca despite many, many hours searching in southern and northern waters! Perhaps on our trip to Greenland next year... I have set it as a challenge for the expedition staff!

My wife's cousin used to live in a cottage overlooking the sound between Shetland Mainland and Isle of Mousa and he used to see Orcas most years.

I hope you are successful! (Interestingly, btw, the researchers never called them orcas, only killer whales. That was new to me.)

Thanks for sharing such an incredible experience!

Woody

You are welcome!

Edited by Turtles06

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who missed it first time round, 'Port Lockroy: Penguin Post Office' is being repeated on BBC2 at 10:00 on Wednesday 27 August. This time it's listed as 'Penguin Post Office: Natural World'.

Enjoy!

For anyone who missed it first time round, 'Port Lockroy: Penguin Post Office' is being repeated on BBC2 at 10:00 on Wednesday 27 August. This time it's listed as 'Penguin Post Office: Natural World'.

Enjoy!

Still nothing for us Yanks! :p

BTW, I stumbled on this blog from the filmmakers; they say they will update it when they have news of a broadcast in France or the U.S.

http://penguinpostoffice.blogspot.com/

• 1 month later...
Still nothing for us Yanks! :p

BTW, I stumbled on this blog from the filmmakers; they say they will update it when they have news of a broadcast in France or the U.S.

http://penguinpostoffice.blogspot.com/

Excellent show. There are a number of sites you can download the video from. Just takes a load time without a subscription.

• 2 months later...