Laundry questions

gwilli

:confused: Wondering if one can choose water temperature (cold, warm, hot)? What about the dryer (cool, warm or hot)? I am assuming that your bag is washed alone, not with anyone else's. Is that so? Lots of picky questions but will help me with my packing. Thanks for any information.

I do write instructions for things that have to be handled. Ask them to be in cold water and low temp in the dryer.

I circle the items, mark and make a note.

I've never had a problem, and trust me, if those items were not washed as I asked I would know ;)

:confused: Wondering if one can choose water temperature (cold, warm, hot)? What about the dryer (cool, warm or hot)? I am assuming that your bag is washed alone, not with anyone else's. Is that so? Lots of picky questions but will help me with my packing. Thanks for any information.

Even when I became 4* mariner I was hesitant to send my laundry out as I 'hang to dry' all my tops and jeans at home. I finally broke down a few cruises later and sent out a few items to 'test the waters." Everything came back perfect - no shrinkage. And so beautifully folded. Now I send out everything including jeans, undies and bras:D

No one has answered yet about our laundry ''co mingling'' with other peoples laundry. I have often wondered, but try not to worry about it. The sheets towels etc are all washed together.

Sandra

I have never worried about co-mingling. After all laundry at home is co-mingled ;)

From what I have seen of the laundry room, they do not wash your laundry bag contents alone. They are going to be washed with others.

It's never been a concern for us ;)

No one has answered yet about our laundry ''co mingling'' with other peoples laundry. I have often wondered, but try not to worry about it. The sheets towels etc are all washed together.

I think they put everyone's laundry in the same machines. That's why they put on the laundry tags. Must be some job to sort it all when it's done.
I think I read or heard someplace that each room's stuff is put a large mesh bag and then the bags are put together into large machines. I can't imagine that they could do hundreds of small separate loads.

OK, here's the TRUE scoop having just toured the laundry facilities on the World Cruise on the Amsterdam.

1. Yes, you're laundry is co-mingled according to fabric type. When it comes into the laundry in your blue bag, your undies are put in a small bag tagged with the tag. Your socks are likewise put in a bag that is tagged. But everything else is looked at for stains, tears, and type of fabric (they have a chart in front of the fellow who does this), so it is sorted like that. The machines hold 400 pound of clothes! The pants and shirts are not dried, but are put on the giant steam machines that are drying and pressing at the same time (wish I had one of those). Yes, they will pay attention to your need for cold water, etc. It was amazing to see their stain removal charts and "stuff" they use. I know I thought my husband's white sweater was doomed when he spilled spaghetti sauce on it, but they got it out perfectly!

It is all somehow brought back together at the end according to your room number tag (each voyage has its own code on it too)...in over 500 days of sailing and using the laundry on HAL we've lost one item...on this last cruise a white T-shirt. When we said it was a Mens L from Lands End, they immediately brought it to us...the tag had fallen off (how, I don't know...we routinely find our laundry souvenirs even years later!)

They also have a quality control person at the end who checks everything before it goes out to you...looking for stains, tears, etc. again. They do a lovely job! (Also saw a gorgeous evening gown being dry cleaned, etc...) My photos can be seen below.

Even when I became 4* mariner I was hesitant to send my laundry out as I 'hang to dry' all my tops and jeans at home. I finally broke down a few cruises later and sent out a few items to 'test the waters." Everything came back perfect - no shrinkage. And so beautifully folded. Now I send out everything including jeans, undies and bras:D

My experience exactly!! And everything is folded beautifully, covered in tissue paper, and put into a basket.

Once, the mesh bags came loose in the wash, so they didn't know who to return the undies to.

We were asked to come to the front desk, to sort through a big basket of items.

I wouldn't go, so sent my husband. He did a good job and knew which underwear was ours.

Sandra

We're the vender of the laundry equipment on the ship.

The dryers are heated with steam, So the dryers are very hot.

The washer are very large compared to a Home machine. the person loading the washer should way the load not to overload the washer [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

My experience exactly!! And everything is folded beautifully, covered in tissue paper, and put into a basket.

One of my favourite things too:hearteyes: It's folded way better than I ever do at home!

I've had to send my laundry out twice the last two cruises I've been on and it's always back promptly(I always wonder if there's a down time for laundry on cruise ships.Somehow,I doubt it!)

We’re sailing on the Niew Amsterdam next February. It will be our first time on that ship and our first time back with HAL for many years! Is ironing equipment available for quick pressing of wrinkled travel ware? We’ll use the laundry service for cleaning, of course, but might like to run an iron over some things quickly!

We’re sailing on the Niew Amsterdam next February. It will be our first time on that ship and our first time back with HAL for many years! Is ironing equipment available for quick pressing of wrinkled travel ware? We’ll use the laundry service for cleaning, of course, but might like to run an iron over some things quickly!

I was wondering about the irons too. Would be nice to have especially after unpacking.

There are no self-serve laundry or pressing services on the NA. You can send your items for laundering, pressing or dry cleaning, but it is a paid service. If you are going to use the laundry service, just pay for the unlimited service and you can have everything pressed when you get on board.

• 5 weeks later...
Is dry cleaning included for 4 stars mariners? Or only ‘regular’ laundry and pressing?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Forums

No, sorry, drycleaning is not included. Just 'regular' laundry & pressing.

JANMCN, quiltingjan --

That was an amazing description. After hand washing everything (including man's cordura pants!) on a 26-day TA because I lived in fear of sending out -- you have finally eased my mind. (Sorry Kazu, I *wanted* to believe you, too, but niggling doubts!)

I am so happy to be able to tell my family group of eight others, what you have said. My aching wringing-out hands are happy too!

OK, here's the TRUE scoop having just toured the laundry facilities on the World Cruise on the Amsterdam.

1. Yes, you're laundry is co-mingled according to fabric type. When it comes into the laundry in your blue bag, your undies are put in a small bag tagged with the tag. Your socks are likewise put in a bag that is tagged. But everything else is looked at for stains, tears, and type of fabric (they have a chart in front of the fellow who does this), so it is sorted like that. The machines hold 400 pound of clothes! The pants and shirts are not dried, but are put on the giant steam machines that are drying and pressing at the same time (wish I had one of those). Yes, they will pay attention to your need for cold water, etc. It was amazing to see their stain removal charts and "stuff" they use. I know I thought my husband's white sweater was doomed when he spilled spaghetti sauce on it, but they got it out perfectly!

It is all somehow brought back together at the end according to your room number tag (each voyage has its own code on it too)...in over 500 days of sailing and using the laundry on HAL we've lost one item...on this last cruise a white T-shirt. When we said it was a Mens L from Lands End, they immediately brought it to us...the tag had fallen off (how, I don't know...we routinely find our laundry souvenirs even years later!)

They also have a quality control person at the end who checks everything before it goes out to you...looking for stains, tears, etc. again. They do a lovely job! (Also saw a gorgeous evening gown being dry cleaned, etc...) My photos can be seen below.

What a great and very informative post. Gives me a new appreciation for the folks we rarely see who are there working to make our cruises so special. Thanks (y)

I have sent laundry out on my past several cruises, on HAL and RCCL. Both my HAL cruises were 20+ days each and I was traveling with 3 kids, so laundry was sent out almost daily. Every piece has come back perfectly. I've sent out delicate blouses with no additional instructions and they've come back just fine.

On my last cruise on Allure of the Seas, I took a whole ship tour which included the laundry facilities. They took us past the rack where they put the day's laundry for passengers after it's done. The passengers laundry was done in a separate area than the linens. I was surprised to see that there were maybe only 20 cabins worth of laundry there, including mine. Allure has almost 3000 cabins. So it seemed that not many people were taking advantage of the laundry service on that particular 7 night Caribbean cruise.