which European river is the deepest?

3red7s

Perhaps this is a silly question. We sailed two years ago on Viking Romantic Danube & our cruise was interrupted by low water. Viking did a good job of transferring us to new ships etc. However, I prefer not to do that again. Does anyone know which river is least affected by the water levels????

Moselle is lock controlled and dredged so it is one that is least affected. The Main is also one.

We sailed on the Moselle last June as part of Paris to the Swiss Alps. It's a lovely river with the valley filled with vineyards.

Viking also has Paris to Prague (City of Light) which sails on both the Moselle and Main.

Both rivers are indeed controlled by locks. The Moselle is deeper than the Main. I find both rivers are long and interesting enough to justify offering a five day cruise on them. For a more intensive experience one could even compile a seven day itinerary. For that I might prefer the Moselle, though. I have not seen such a cruise ever offered on either river safe a bike barge cruise on the Moselle.

However, for other deep rivers in Europe look to France.

Here is a map of the European waterways to guide you: https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/sc3/European_inland_waterways_-_2012.pdf

notamermaid