MDR for lunch

rsldonk

My husband and I both wore sleeveless shirts to the MDR for lunch this past year. We were seated away from all the other tables and did not receive timely service. Before ordering, the head dining steward stopped by and said sleeveless shirts for men are not allowed in the MDR at any time. My husband very willingly left to change shirts and returned for lunch. It would have been much better if we were told of this policy before sitting down.

My husband and I both wore sleeveless shirts to the MDR for lunch this past year. We were seated away from all the other tables and did not receive timely service. Before ordering, the head dining steward stopped by and said sleeveless shirts for men are not allowed in the MDR at any time. My husband very willingly left to change shirts and returned for lunch. It would have been much better if we were told of this policy before sitting down.

Very interesting. To a great degree we applaud the dining room staff. Why? Many have become sick and tired of the "fashion police" but most folks do expect some degree of decorum. Rather then simply turning you back at the entrance, the staff was nice enough to seat you...but in a place that would not insult others who had the common sense to wear appropriate dress for a dining room. While your DH would have reacted properly if forewarned, there are plenty of other passengers who would have immediately expressed their "outrage" and berated the staff for imposing some kind of dress code.

This is a case where the staff loses no matter what they do, so you were the victim of compromise.

Hank

I agree that it would have been better if they had simply discreetly informed you of the dress code prior to entering the dining room, but I agree with other posts that perhaps this is a task left to the Matre’d and he may not have been available when you entered to dining room. Regardless, I applaud your husband for complying with the request without causing a scene. That shows respect for the policy and made an uncomfortable situation less volatile. And I do suggest that all travelers with HAL review the dress code prior to traveling because although it has become more relaxed in recent years, it is stillI one of the most specific on “dos and don’t”.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Strange. We eat lunch quite a bit in the dining when it is open and I have seen men wearing sleeveless shirts on various ships.

Which ship was this?

I've seen people with "wife beater" t-shirts asked to change. Also people in swimsuits.

It's not exactly dressy, and it's pretty easy to comply.

I've seen people with "wife beater" t-shirts asked to change. Also people in swimsuits.

It's not exactly dressy, and it's pretty easy to comply.

Exactly: not exactly dressy and easy to comply. That some some level of decorum is being enforced is great.

OP: of course you should have been informed at the door. The way it was handled was poor.

Corkpopr. Interesting post. May I ask why in 40 cruises you have not had lunch or breakfast in the dining room? Of course it is your choice, but we do enjoy being served in a less busy atmosphere some of the time. We also like the menus. We also enjoy the lido too, so are very flexible. Curious minds wonder?