Cruising for the the first time in July

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:05 AM.
#1
44 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
I am very excited about our cruise in July. We will be going out of Baltimore, MD on the Carnival Pride. It is a 7 day cruise. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tips for me. I have been reading and reading and reading, but you never know if someone might have a great tip or idea they may not have shared. I will be cruising with my family(husband and 2 daughters ages 7 and 12). Any tips for kids would be greatly appreciated as well.

I do have one specific question about the outlets. Do I need to get anything special to use in the room to be able to charge our phones and such? Thank you for taking the time to answer me! Hope everyone is having a great day!
#2
Central Ohio
2,995 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
There is only 1 outlet in the room. We will always pack a power strip, as we have multiple things to charge and CPAPs. This must not be a surge protected device, as that is a fire hazard.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I DON'T HAVE A CRUISE BOOKED
2017 - Carnival Dream
2016 - Carnival Sunshine (CA/NE)
2015 - Carnival Paradise
2014 - Carnival Elation
2012 - Carnival Sensation
#3
Dallas, TX
498 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
You will have one AC outlet at the dressing table. Nothing special needed, but I would suggest a multiple-outlet adapter, so you can plug multiple things in at once.

Here is a document which will answer many questions you might have. If there is something specific, please don't hesitate to ask.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Tips For New Cruisers.docx (27.2 KB, 63 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#4
North West NJ
5,867 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Just wanted to say....have a wonderful time! Love the Pride and have great memories of it. We had a blast and I hope you do too! Please eat 3 Guys hamburgers for me!
#5
44 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Originally posted by champagne123
Just wanted to say....have a wonderful time! Love the Pride and have great memories of it. We had a blast and I hope you do too! Please eat 3 Guys hamburgers for me!
My oldest is a huge Guy Fieri fan. She was so excited to see that he has a burger place on the cruise.
#6
Bradenton, FL
5,471 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Pack light.
Introduce your kids to the kids club on the first night.
Enjoy a dinner in the steakhouse.
See if you can sign up for the chefs' table dinner if you love true fine dining and included wine.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:

Carnival Magic - Eastern Caribbean -3/24/19 - 3/31/19

Past Cruises:
MS Trollfjord - Hurtigruten Northbound - 8/11/04 - 8/18/04
Carnival Miracle - Exotic Western Caribbean - 9/25/05 - 10/2/05
Carnival Inspiration - Western Caribbean - 6/9/07 - 6/14/07
Carnival Sensation - Bahamas - 1/24/08 - 1/27/08
Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean - 9/13/08 - 9/20/08
Carnival Inspiration - Cozumel - 3/19/09 - 3/23/09
Norwegian Pearl - Eastern Caribbean - 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
Carnival Inspiration - Western Caribbean - 9/11/10 - 9/16/10
Carnival Legend - Exotic Western Caribbean - 7/3/11 - 7/10/11
Carnival Imagination - Bahamas - 12/28/12-12/31/12
Carnival Victory - 5 Day Western Caribbean - 3/9/13-3/14/13
Carnival Victory - 4 Day Western Caribbean -3/14/13-3/18/13
Carnival Paradise - 4 Day Western Caribbean -7/31/14-8/4/14
Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean -3/19/16-3/26/16

#7
44 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Originally posted by Schoifmom
There is only 1 outlet in the room. We will always pack a power strip, as we have multiple things to charge and CPAPs. This must not be a surge protected device, as that is a fire hazard.
Very good to know! Thank you so very much!
#8
44 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Originally posted by gtalum
Pack light.
Introduce your kids to the kids club on the first night.
Enjoy a dinner in the steakhouse.
See if you can sign up for the chefs' table dinner if you love true fine dining and included wine.
what exactly is the chefs table dinner?
#9
Bradenton, FL
5,471 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by jiwdurando
what exactly is the chefs table dinner?
It's a multi-course dinner (I think 7 courses) hosted for 12 people in a quiet venue where the chef explains each dish as it's served. Wine is included (all you care to drink, red or white). It begins with a tour of the galley at the peak dinner rush, which is interesting to see. It's a $95 per person additional charge. it makes a great date night. You reserve it via your "Manage My Booking" page at Carnival.com.

It's not for everyone, but if you love fine dining it's worth the price.

Here's a link: https://www.carnival.com/cruise-food/chefs-table
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:

Carnival Magic - Eastern Caribbean -3/24/19 - 3/31/19

Past Cruises:
MS Trollfjord - Hurtigruten Northbound - 8/11/04 - 8/18/04
Carnival Miracle - Exotic Western Caribbean - 9/25/05 - 10/2/05
Carnival Inspiration - Western Caribbean - 6/9/07 - 6/14/07
Carnival Sensation - Bahamas - 1/24/08 - 1/27/08
Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean - 9/13/08 - 9/20/08
Carnival Inspiration - Cozumel - 3/19/09 - 3/23/09
Norwegian Pearl - Eastern Caribbean - 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
Carnival Inspiration - Western Caribbean - 9/11/10 - 9/16/10
Carnival Legend - Exotic Western Caribbean - 7/3/11 - 7/10/11
Carnival Imagination - Bahamas - 12/28/12-12/31/12
Carnival Victory - 5 Day Western Caribbean - 3/9/13-3/14/13
Carnival Victory - 4 Day Western Caribbean -3/14/13-3/18/13
Carnival Paradise - 4 Day Western Caribbean -7/31/14-8/4/14
Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean -3/19/16-3/26/16

#11
44 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Originally posted by gtalum
It's a multi-course dinner (I think 7 courses) hosted for 12 people in a quiet venue where the chef explains each dish as it's served. Wine is included (all you care to drink, red or white). It begins with a tour of the galley at the peak dinner rush, which is interesting to see. It's a $95 per person additional charge. it makes a great date night. You reserve it via your "Manage My Booking" page at Carnival.com.

It's not for everyone, but if you love fine dining it's worth the price.

Here's a link: https://www.carnival.com/cruise-food/chefs-table
I think that looks amazing! I may look at that next time, I'm not suppose to add anymore extras lol. I would really love to do that. If we like cruising, we are planning to do an adults only cruise in December for our 15 year wedding anniversary, maybe I can do that then.
#12
Northern Wisconsin
3,857 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Congratulations on your first cruise!

Now, down some basics. You will not be able to "do everything". Pick and choose the activities that won't cause you to feel rushed. (Trust me, I'm the voice of experience.")

Don't be afraid to ask staff, or other passengers "which way is which".
Explore that ship! You will find all kinds of nooks and crannies that may seem out of place, yet, are part of the ship's layout.
If you plan ahead and bring your own OTC meds, munchies, and such, all the better!
I'm sure there will be more advice coming your way on this cruise board, so, take it all in, and most of all, HAVE FUN!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Big Red Boat 1995
CCL Triumph 2005
CCL Triumph 2007
CCL Valor 2009
CCL Freedom2010
CCL Miracle 2011
CCL Legend 2012
CCL Splenor 2013
CCL Valor 2015
CCL Conquest 2016
CCL Glory 2017
CCL Miracle 2018
#13
1,689 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
Congrats on your first! We went on our first cruise two years ago and loved it. Will be leaving on our second one this Saturday aboard the Glory.

"Pack light" is one of the most common pieces of advice, but is probably my least favorite. Me personally, I'd rather have it with me and not use it than want it and not have it. Packing clothes for a cruise is just like any other vacation. Location, weather, what you'll be doing, and things like that determine what you pack , regardless of whether it's a cruise or land vacation. I like extra shirts in case I want to put on a fresh one (I sweat easy). If I'm taking a particular suitcase anyway and have the space, I'm going to use it. You'll learn pretty quickly what you can do without and adjust accordingly on your next cruise. I think that's something people should figure out for themselves what's best.

In regards to the electrical outlet, I prefer a long extension cord (8-10 ft.) instead of a power strip. Plus a 3-way outlet adapter. This gives us plenty of plugs and lets us move things to where we want them. For example, it lets me put my portable fan by the bed. Last time, the cord was long enough for my wife to use her hair dryer in the bathroom, which she preferred, instead of at the one outlet by the vanity mirror.

Guy's burgers are the best! I've been looking forward to it since we booked this cruise over a year ago. It'll be my first meal on board. Go to our cabin to drop off our stuff (we have FTTF) and go straight to Guy's.

Hope you have a great time. At least you don't have too much longer to go.
#14
Oelando Fl. USA
908 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
First I will say the Chef's table is a great experience and we prefer it to an excursion and costs about the same. Second point I would like to make is I'm sorry for you and your family because you are about to be introduced to cruising and a very nice ship. Why do I say I'm sorry for you I'll tell you. Your life will never be the same. You will start thinking about your second cruise around the third day. The thought will never leave any of you until you are on another cruise. Then you will start thinking about your third cruise and so on and so on. Welcome to the land of no return and enjoy every minute just don't try to do it all but enjoy all that you do.Welcome aboard and have a fantastic cruise.

PS I love to board a ship with a first time cruiser just to see their face as they walk into the Atrium.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sensation 4/29/01,------------------------Inspiration 2/14/09
Inspiration 5/4/03,--------------------------Freedom 3/28/09
Glory 5/1/04 ------------------------- Inspiration 8/24/09
Inspiration 1/8/05 ------------------------- Dream 12/03/09
Inspiration 3/24/05 -------------------------Freedom 01/16/10
Sovereign Of The Seas 9/23/05 --------------Glory 04/25/10
Miracle 11/13/05-----------------------------Dream 09/04/10
Inspiration 1/30/06---------------------------Glory 12/19/10
Glory 5/13/06--------------------------Inspiration 02/12/11
Mariner Of The Seas 10/15/06--------------- Dream 9/10/11
Elation 1/15/07-----------------------------Freedom 1/14/12
Glory 3/10/07---------------------------- Pride 4/22/12
Liberty 4/28/07---------------------------- Dream 9/22/12
Norwegian Majesty 10/28/07----------------- Breeze 1/5/13
Inspiration 1/19/08
Triumph 4/26/08
Glory 8/23/08
Miracle 12/7/08
Up to 40 cruises and counting. Why list them all ?
#15
PA
47 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Congrats on getting to go on your first cruise! My family and I (DH, DS 19, DD 15) will be going on a cruise out of Baltimore on the Pride in July as well. Ours is on the 22nd.



Our kids love camp and wanted to go there often. We let them go. Yes, it's a family vacation, but if they are having fun, it's easier for me to have fun (my humble opinion). We always eat in the MDR, love to talk about our days and things we did over a nice meal. The kids always ordered off the adult menu. Have fun and relax. Pick your favorite things you want to try from the funtimes but don't overload yourself. ENJOY!
#16
44 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Originally posted by jayscore
Congratulations on your first cruise!

Now, down some basics. You will not be able to "do everything". Pick and choose the activities that won't cause you to feel rushed. (Trust me, I'm the voice of experience.")

Don't be afraid to ask staff, or other passengers "which way is which".
Explore that ship! You will find all kinds of nooks and crannies that may seem out of place, yet, are part of the ship's layout.
If you plan ahead and bring your own OTC meds, munchies, and such, all the better!
I'm sure there will be more advice coming your way on this cruise board, so, take it all in, and most of all, HAVE FUN!
I will def do my best to do what we can do and not try to over book ourselves! That really is great advice. Thank you for the advice about exploring the ship, I cannot wait to do just that!
#17
44 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Originally posted by Organized Chaos
Congrats on your first! We went on our first cruise two years ago and loved it. Will be leaving on our second one this Saturday aboard the Glory.

"Pack light" is one of the most common pieces of advice, but is probably my least favorite. Me personally, I'd rather have it with me and not use it than want it and not have it. Packing clothes for a cruise is just like any other vacation. Location, weather, what you'll be doing, and things like that determine what you pack , regardless of whether it's a cruise or land vacation. I like extra shirts in case I want to put on a fresh one (I sweat easy). If I'm taking a particular suitcase anyway and have the space, I'm going to use it. You'll learn pretty quickly what you can do without and adjust accordingly on your next cruise. I think that's something people should figure out for themselves what's best.

In regards to the electrical outlet, I prefer a long extension cord (8-10 ft.) instead of a power strip. Plus a 3-way outlet adapter. This gives us plenty of plugs and lets us move things to where we want them. For example, it lets me put my portable fan by the bed. Last time, the cord was long enough for my wife to use her hair dryer in the bathroom, which she preferred, instead of at the one outlet by the vanity mirror.

Guy's burgers are the best! I've been looking forward to it since we booked this cruise over a year ago. It'll be my first meal on board. Go to our cabin to drop off our stuff (we have FTTF) and go straight to Guy's.

Hope you have a great time. At least you don't have too much longer to go.
Thank you so much for the advice. I am like you I prefer to have extra just in case. I also sweat like crazy so I always take extra.
Good idea about the extension cord! Should we bring a little fan for the room? We are in an Ocean Suite if that helps.

Thank you so much!
#18
44 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Originally posted by woodman
First I will say the Chef's table is a great experience and we prefer it to an excursion and costs about the same. Second point I would like to make is I'm sorry for you and your family because you are about to be introduced to cruising and a very nice ship. Why do I say I'm sorry for you I'll tell you. Your life will never be the same. You will start thinking about your second cruise around the third day. The thought will never leave any of you until you are on another cruise. Then you will start thinking about your third cruise and so on and so on. Welcome to the land of no return and enjoy every minute just don't try to do it all but enjoy all that you do.Welcome aboard and have a fantastic cruise.

PS I love to board a ship with a first time cruiser just to see their face as they walk into the Atrium.
We just cancelled an excursion so maybe my husband and I will chose to do that instead.

I understand about wanting to go again and again. I'm like that with Disney lol.

I am actually hoping if I like the cruise to book our next trip while we are on the cruise. Hoping to do one in December out of Charleston for our 15 year wedding anniversary.
#19
44 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Originally posted by karla_sue
Congrats on getting to go on your first cruise! My family and I (DH, DS 19, DD 15) will be going on a cruise out of Baltimore on the Pride in July as well. Ours is on the 22nd.



Our kids love camp and wanted to go there often. We let them go. Yes, it's a family vacation, but if they are having fun, it's easier for me to have fun (my humble opinion). We always eat in the MDR, love to talk about our days and things we did over a nice meal. The kids always ordered off the adult menu. Have fun and relax. Pick your favorite things you want to try from the funtimes but don't overload yourself. ENJOY!
We are going the week before you.

My youngest will go to the camp, my oldest will been in the Tween area.

Thank you for all the advice!
#20
Texas
1,020 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by jiwdurando
I am very excited about our cruise in July. We will be going out of Baltimore, MD on the Carnival Pride. It is a 7 day cruise. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tips for me. I have been reading and reading and reading, but you never know if someone might have a great tip or idea they may not have shared. I will be cruising with my family(husband and 2 daughters ages 7 and 12). Any tips for kids would be greatly appreciated as well.

I do have one specific question about the outlets. Do I need to get anything special to use in the room to be able to charge our phones and such? Thank you for taking the time to answer me! Hope everyone is having a great day!
Once you start walking up the gangway on embarkation day, just soak it all in. Like other things in life, nothing like the first time. Don't think of the photographers as an inconvenience...embrace them..always fun to at least look at the pictures. Look up what you get on the ship. You will likely be in the atrium that extends up to the upper deck....and flood of colors and space.

And while it may seem like fun, refuse to pig-out at the lido buffet or Guys burger that first day...as come dinner time you will want to have an appetite to order multiple appetizers, entrees and deserts. Plenty of opportunity to strap on the lido feed bag during your cruise. Keep your expectations low and don't be surprised when others (crew, other passengers, your family and friends) on the ship fail you...they are all human after all.