Full face snirkel

blueridgemama

Good morning, Does anyone have any experience using a full face snorkel mask? Any thoughts pro or con would be appreciated. Thanks

I don't like them because you can only surface snorkel. You can't dive to take a closer look. They are the latest fad so you don't actually snorkel......it is for lazy people. Better in my opinion to go in a glass bottom boat than use those masks.

There have been safety concerns raised. Link to a couple of articles. Apparently there can be Carbon Dioxide buildup. I don't know if it is inherent in the masks or the issue is poor Chinese knock offs. Some say the problem is the knock offs. I think there would be problems if the water is not calm. My intuition tells me that these masks are not a good thing but I won't claim the the available evidence at this time proves that they are all unsafe.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-full-face-snorkel-mask-related-deaths/

https://hawaiioceanproject.com/why-we-no-longer-support-full-faced-snorkel-masks/

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks for your input. I can't use regular snorkel as the mouthpiece gags me so much. I would only be floating on the surface and not diving down. I am not a good swimmer so would be wearing a vest and just floating around. I will read the articles and look at the safety issues.

IMO, the CO2 problem is with the knock offs. The quality ones I have seen and used, are designed so the exhaled air (with the CO2) is exhausted outside the mask. And respiratory protection is part of my profession, plus an engineering background.

And you CAN surface dive with them. They had a float valve to prevent them filling with water, and any water that does do in is exhausted out the bottom valve. Also the intake valves for the inner mask (which is necessary to prevent CO2 buildup), are high up to avoid taking in water.

My SO tried one our last cruise and liked it, so I get her one. The first one was too large, so I have used it a few times. I prefer a conventional mask and snorkel, but have been snorkeling and diving for MANY years.

The brand we got is Tribord from Amazon. This was the one she tried (a couple we met had them and let us try them).

My SO tried one our last cruise and liked it, so I get her one. The first one was too large, so I have used it a few times. I prefer a conventional mask and snorkel, but have been snorkeling and diving for MANY years.

The brand we got is Tribord from Amazon. This was the one she tried (a couple we met had them and let us try them).

For sure the Tribord is the brand to get if you buy one. They developed the full face mask. The issues may very well be with the copy cats and counterfeit knock offs. If you buy on Amazon don’t buy from a third party seller. All the descriptions of the Tribord say it is not good for free diving. I am just going by what they say in descriptions and reviews.

I have a good reason to prefer a conventional mask. I have prescription lenses in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Thank you for your recommendations. The Tribord is the one I was looking at. The only place I have seen to buy on the internet is Amazon. Isn't Amazon ALL third party sellers? How do you know it is a 3rd party seller?

Amazon is not all 3rd party sellers but apparently Tribord/Subea ( the latest updated versions have added the name Subea ) is not sold in the USA, only in Europe. So the Tribords sold on Amazon are all thru 3rd party sellers. The 3rd party sellers are importing them and reselling them. I think it is called grey market. That is probably why stores don't sell them in the US and they are only sold on Amazon in the US. So all I can say is read the reviews on Amazon and be careful which 3rd party. I saw that one is labled "Amazon Choice". That might be the one to buy from Amazon. Or purchase in Europe where the company sells direct. They sell for about 25 Euros in Europe. I wonder if any Bermuda stores sell them.....

All the descriptions of the Tribord say it is not good for free diving. I am just going by what they say in descriptions and reviews.

I have a good reason to prefer a conventional mask. I have prescription lenses in mine.

I have used one to five maybe 12 - 15 feet. It is not easy as there is a HUGE volume of air in the mask, making it hard to dive. And I did not have weights or fins to help.

That is also a good reason for a conventional mask.

I ordered from Amazon and received my Tribord mask today. I read all the instructions and it clearly states that the mask should only be used for surface snorkeling and was not to be used for swimming laps or diving under the surface. I have been testing it out in the house today and I don't feel at all claustrophobic although I do look like a nerdy alien! It is cool to be able to breath through my nose and mouth. I'm testing it in the pool tomorrow and will probably get some wierd looks😄

I bought full face snorkel mask from Amazon for a cruise trip to Caribbean. It isn't bad. I tried three times at snorkel sites in key west, cozumel and Belize. It is for surface snorkel only and not diving. When I push my head down to deeper water, the mask resists to float. In a group snorkel in Belize, I can't talk with guide unless I take the mask off. That's another issue.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk