Driving Toronto -> Cape Liberty

meemonkee

Hi all, I'm driving down first week of March on our first cruise on the Anthem. Super excited and planning my route now. GoogleMap gives me two choices: 1) Take I90 East all the way to Syracuse then I81 South to I80 or 2) Take the I390 south to I86 to I81. Has anyone traveled both routes and have any suggestions? I've heard how bad the I90 NY Thruway can get with lake effect snow and all but I understand the I390 is mountainous roads. Which is the lesser of two evils?

We did the drive to the port back in October. No winter weather at that time to worry about. We did take the I-90 to Syracuse and then headed south on I-81. Any of the routes you are considering will get some mountainous roads as you go through Pennsylvania.

We always head out the morning before the cruise and stay in a hotel about 90 minutes outside of the cruise terminal to ensure that we can account for roadwork, weather, accidents, etc.

Given the unpredictability of the weather, I would suggest deciding on the route the day of. If it's clear, take I-90. And I would certainly go out the day before if possible to give yourself as much buffer time as possible and to get to your ship relaxed and ready for vacation!

Anthem is a beautiful ship and you will have a wonderful time.