Considering trying a cruise with Regent sometime...any suggestions or advice?

OnTheJourney

After 7 Regent cruises we have never been disappointed. We have 2 more reserved, one of them is the TA on the fresh-out-of dry dock Mariner in April, which should be a lot of fun. We like the excellent, consistent service and not having to sign for everything. Several times the staff and crew have exceeded expectations by creating additional experiences for the passengers—Panama Canal lecturer was also an astronomer so had night lecture on deck; after all-day tour being welcomed back to Explorer with champagne, cool towels, band, cheering staff led by Captain Stan—making a really good trip more memorable. So, my suggestion is give Regent a try.

Thinking of booking this TA today! This will be our second Regent cruise after trying most of the other lines. Looking forward to meeting you on board! Carol

Thinking of booking this TA today! This will be our second Regent cruise after trying most of the other lines. Looking forward to meeting you on board! Carol

Wonderful! We look forward to meeting you too. Jan & David, 923

Booked my first Regent cruise a few days ago. The website works flawlessly and the selection of excursions very diverse. We were pleased with the included in cost selection of excursions. We have visited Rome and Florence before so our needs were met with the included tours. I’m in a regular cabin and was able to reserve my excursions as soon as I booked because it was already open. None of the excursions came up as waitlisted including the special ones. The date for when I am able to reserve the specialty restaurants is there with the link as well as the date final payment is due. I have great confidence that the high level of service will continue throughout the entire experience.

We cruised Regent for our first, never thought we would have more than one cruise.

Well, we have since done Oceania, booked on Holland then another Regent on Explorer.

Everyone should be that pampered at least once in life. We live in smaller town so have to pay extra for air so to make it lower cost we subtract the air and use CC points to fly.

O worked best where we could rent cars and tour on our own. Otherwise I think you are ahead to have them included most times, plus no drink package worries or up fees for dining.

You just get on and enjoy..

• 1 month later...
ArtsyCraftsy, hope that you booked your cruise through a travel agent that regularly books Regent so that you will receive a percent of your cruise fare back and likely would receive on board credits. It really pays to use TA's that really know Regent. After all, every bit you can save is a good thing!

sadly, this does not apply to us folks in Aussie and NZ - no such perks :(

Aussies are able to use any agent from any country but of course payment is in that country’s currency. Suggest you find a good luxury cruise agent in the US to enjoy better service and better deals.

It’s not about the service but about the deals . I spoke to Regency in Australia and they said that air only applies to the US market ( as in that one has to fly from there) and also said that any promotions like OBC applies to a specific market only. It certainly did not sound as if you can go to another country ‘s agent, although maybe I misunderstood? ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not about the service but about the deals . I spoke to Regency in Australia and they said that air only applies to the US market ( as in that one has to fly from there) and also said that any promotions like OBC applies to a specific market only. It certainly did not sound as if you can go to another country ‘s agent, although maybe I misunderstood? ...

Everything is based on your country of residence - not where your TA is located. Australia is one of many countries where Regent does not provide air. And, although air is provided in the U.K., they do not get international Business Class air as we do in the U.S. and Canada. On the other hand, some of the promotions offered outside of North America are better than the offers in the U.S.

My guess (and this is only a guess) is that there are not enough passengers from Australia and other parts of the world to enable Regent to get "contracted" flights at a good price. The majority of passengers on Regent are from the U.S. and Canada - followed by the U.K. If I remember correctly, when included air was first rolled out, it did not include the U.K. So perhaps if more Australians book Regent cruises, included air could be offered.

I can understand the frustration. It may help to know that cruises to Australia are extremely expensive for U.S./Canadian passengers because the "included" Business Class air is included in the fare. Many fares to Australia start at $17,000/person (U.S. dollars).

Everything is based on your country of residence - not where your TA is located.

I can understand the frustration. It may help to know that cruises to Australia are extremely expensive for U.S./Canadian passengers because the "included" Business Class air is included in the fare. Many fares to Australia start at $17,000/person (U.S. dollars).

Thank you for your very detailed and well articulated reply, this explains what Regent Australia said much better. We have just booked our first Regent - a long way away but we already have something else booked beforehand :)

I have to say that I love your posts! [emoji106][emoji4]

Thank you for your very detailed and well articulated reply, this explains what Regent Australia said much better. We have just booked our first Regent - a long way away but we already have something else booked beforehand :)

I have to say that I love your posts! [emoji106][emoji4]

Thanks so much:D

Travelcat2, thought you might give me an idea why two cruises in the same month (April 2020) almost the same length (20 nights vs 21) , almost identical itinerary are about USD 3,000 difference? ( no flights, all the same)? One is on Voyager, the other is on Mariner. Can Easter break during the more expensive one push the price up that much?

Travelcat2, thought you might give me an idea why two cruises in the same month (April 2020) almost the same length (20 nights vs 21) , almost identical itinerary are about USD 3,000 difference? ( no flights, all the same)? One is on Voyager, the other is on Mariner. Can Easter break during the more expensive one push the price up that much?

Good question. I suppose that it is possible that Easter break could cause the price to go up. It depends upon whether or not schools are out for a week in the U.S. If so, there would be more families and children on the ship (a cruise that I would avoid). Depending upon the suite category, there could be a difference of at least $1,000 for the extra night.

As an aside, I would choose the Voyager over the Mariner if you are looking at suites in categories below Penthouse. For PH and above, I would choose Mariner. The "regular" suites are just too small for some people on the Mariner (particularly my husband - he won't stay in one).

Which cruise did you book. You have me curious.

P.S. For people used to smaller suites, the Mariner is a gorgeous ship - we just completed a 25 night cruise on the Mariner which was delightful and will be on the Voyager on March 24th.

Which cruise did you book. You have me curious.

Abu Dhabi to Rome 20 nights on 16 April 2020 in a Veranda suite. We’ve chosen this because we liked the itinerary better and then I realised the price difference . I am SO excited [emoji38]

Abu Dhabi to Rome 20 nights on 16 April 2020 in a Veranda suite. We’ve chosen this because we liked the itinerary better and then I realised the price difference . I am SO excited [emoji38]

Just looked it up - what an amazing itinerary. We did almost an identical itinerary on the Voyager a few years ago. I predict that you will love it!

Just noticed that you are from New Zealand rather than Australia. We LOVE New Zealand - an absolutely amazing place. We spent over a week there several years ago visiting friends near Christchurch and almost didn't want to leave!

Just looked it up - what an amazing itinerary. We did almost an identical itinerary on the Voyager a few years ago. I predict that you will love it!

I am sure we will! Did you spend any time in UAE around the cruise? I am thinking 3-4 nights in a resort somewhere (Not big on shopping in the malls [emoji6] )

I am sure we will! Did you spend any time in UAE around the cruise? I am thinking 3-4 nights in a resort somewhere (Not big on shopping in the malls [emoji6] )

Actually, the two places that we did not visit that is on your itinerary are Abu Dahbi and Fujairah so I have no suggestions. Hopefully others have. Our cruise ended in Dubai where spent the night before flying home.

Actually, the two places that we did not visit that is on your itinerary are Abu Dahbi and Fujairah so I have no suggestions. Hopefully others have. Our cruise ended in Dubai where spent the night before flying home.

We have been to Dubai a few times but never to Abu Dahbi. I am sure TripAdvisor will give me an idea and then I will take my TA’s advice :)

Just noticed that you are from New Zealand rather than Australia. We LOVE New Zealand - an absolutely amazing place. We spent over a week there several years ago visiting friends near Christchurch and almost didn't want to leave!

I agree - NZ is rather special [emoji7] but I live here and love it so I am bias [emoji4]

• 2 weeks later...

Have enjoyed reading this thread since we just completed our 23rd cruise and finally decided we need to try Regent! What convinced us was our experience on the cruise we were on and meeting some clients who highly recommended Regent!

We booked a cruise today for 2019 and are very excited! We will be following along now.

Have enjoyed reading this thread since we just completed our 23rd cruise and finally decided we need to try Regent! What convinced us was our experience on the cruise we were on and meeting some clients who highly recommended Regent!

We booked a cruise today for 2019 and are very excited! We will be following along now.

Which itinerary did you book (and on what ship)?

Having sailed on large and small ships, Regent is still my favorite. Took a trip from Barcelona to Lisbon last spring on the Explorer- it really is a beautiful ship. Surprisingly, the same category cabin on the Voyager had a king bed rather than a queen, and a larger bath with tub and shower. Still, it was the itinerary that mattered most. Unfortunately, most European routes on their schedule stop in Rome and Florence...cities that many cruisers have been to already (and not really close to the ports you dock at).

Just be aware of groups that may occupy much of the ship. On that trip, there was a large corporate group that somewhat took over the boat. I didn't notice it initially, but later other guests mentioned to us how it changed the dynamic of the trip. If you prefer to keep to yourselves, I guess it wouldn't matter much, but if you prefer to socialize and meet new people, it might. I plan on checking this with future bookings, especially on smaller ships.

Everything is based on your country of residence - not where your TA is located. Australia is one of many countries where Regent does not provide air. And, although air is provided in the U.K., they do not get international Business Class air as we do in the U.S. and Canada. On the other hand, some of the promotions offered outside of North America are better than the offers in the U.S.

My guess (and this is only a guess) is that there are not enough passengers from Australia and other parts of the world to enable Regent to get "contracted" flights at a good price. The majority of passengers on Regent are from the U.S. and Canada - followed by the U.K. If I remember correctly, when included air was first rolled out, it did not include the U.K. So perhaps if more Australians book Regent cruises, included air could be offered.

I'm sorry but I don't think that this statement is entirely correct. We live in Europe but has used an American TA to book our first Regent cruise departing from Rio. It is completely correct that no flights are included, but we were still offered a cheaper base price, OBC and a considerable cash back.