tours in Rio

Phillygirl3

We will only have a two half-days in Rio and were told to definitely see Christ the Redeemer and Sugar Loaf. However, I was told that both venues should be seen early in the day due to crowds. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to hire a private tour guide/company to help us with this. Can you get tickets ahead of time through these tour guides that will allow you quicker access to the sights rather than venture out on our own? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. In addition, if anyone has any recommendations for restaurants in the Copacabana area, this, too, will be very much appreciated.

We will only have a two half-days in Rio and were told to definitely see Christ the Redeemer and Sugar Loaf. However, I was told that both venues should be seen early in the day due to crowds. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to hire a private tour guide/company to help us with this. Can you get tickets ahead of time through these tour guides that will allow you quicker access to the sights rather than venture out on our own? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. In addition, if anyone has any recommendations for restaurants in the Copacabana area, this, too, will be very much appreciated.

We were in Rio late November and did a private all day tour. Did a private tour where we were responsible for paying for all our tickets. Tickets for the train to see The Redeemer were available on line and the person who booked the tour bought them for our entire group. We were late in disembarding thus missing the time for our train and added a couple to our tour and didn't have tickets so the guide took us by the train station and tickets for a later train were exchanged and bought. No problem. So we went to Sugarloaf after that in the AM and walked right up, bought tickets and on the next gondola. Unfortunately there was maintenance so we only got half way up but, enjoyed it nonetheless Good luck and have fun.

Hire a car and driver. We were in Rio and visited both Sugar Loaf and Christ the Redeemer in about a four hour time span beginning at about 10 am. That night he collected us and drove us to a Samba show preceded by dinner. It was an awesome day, and not as expensive as you might think, given the convenience and personal attention. Your hotel concierge can arrange this for you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would do the Regent tour - it is always crowded but Regent's groups tend to get through the process of getting to the top easier (we have taken Regent's excursion to Christ the Redeemer and other places).

In terms of restaurants, if you are venturing out on your own, be super careful as Rio is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. As Regent will tell you (in writing), take off all jewelry (including wedding rings) - do not carry a handbag and be super vigilant. I can post articles from people living in Rio that will verify this.

On the other hand, food in Rio is great and don't forget to have their national drink of Brazil a Caipirinha. They are delicious but can really sneak up on you. They will likely be serving them onboard when you get to Brazil.

We were in Rio Nov.2017 and stayed at Copacabana Palace hotel. You can have lunch or dinner around the pool area or if wanting to splurge, the Cipriani is also in this hotel.

We did Redeemer and Sugarloaf in one day with taxi from hotel. At the top of Sugarloaf is a lovely restaurant with fabulous views. Highly recommend it. As Travelcat said, be sure to try their famous cocktail.

We absolutely loved Rio and felt safe staying in the general area of our hotel. The hotel is beautiful.

When we disembarked from the Mariner in Rio (Monte Carlo to Rio) back in 2012 we had a wonderful day with Valeria from Rio Plus Tours. We were picked up from the ship and spent the entire day touring. Our luggage stayed in the vehicle with the driver.

At the end of a long day we were dropped off at the airport for our late flight home. We toured with another couple.

It was a fabulous day!! I highly recommend this company.

Fly Eagles Fly

Sharon

If you are over 60 reduced entry fees for many attractions, including half price for Sugarloaf. Bring Id (photocopy of passport is fine.) We also found that fees are waived for such things as disembarkation taxes. Look for a symbol that shows a bent over old man with a cane, or ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, Sugarloaf has been in cloud with limited visibility much of the time for the last couple of days. We keep an eye on it from our hotel window. Christ the Redeemer statue is even worse. My husband keeps running up to the roof with his camera, but so far no luck, it’s like the shroud of Turin up there.

Dear Neamster:

Thanks for your update on Rio. Hopefully, the sun will come out but as we get ready for our departure, we asked dear Alexa about the weather and it looks like rain. We are leaving in rain and arriving- a bummer, but, hopefully that will change. What are you doing in lieu of not being able to visit Corcovado or Sugar Loaf? Any recommendations for nearby restaurants, or are you sticking to venues in the hotel. Great hearing from you.

Right now it is absolutely pouring rain. Tomorrow is supposed to be better, so our fingers are crossed. We have booked a gastronomic tour thru Airbnb experiences for this afternoon, so restaurants, bars and the market, all indoors. Would love to visit the botanical gardens tomorrow, but only if dry.

We did the Eat Rio walking tour today and even in the rain it was fabulous. Wonderful guide, lots of interesting food, and insights into the local culture and food. We got wet but our guide purchased umbrellas and changed the tour as we went to accommodate the weather. I am probably sharing this too late for those here on Feb 24 but just in case, here’s the website: http://www.eatrio.net. The Feb 24 tour starts at 11am.