Marina and Current Weather in French Polynesia

ksilver22

I honestly don't understand why people go to Tahiti this time of year. I understand the desire to get away from cold North American winters, but the typically unpleasant weather there December - April is certainly no secret.

We went in July and it was absolutely perfect.

We went in Jan/Feb about 3 years ago and the weather was perfect. Great time with very little or no rain.

For those that say we're stupid to go in Feb. We did our research and knew it was rainy season, but even the locals said their weather patterns are changing this year. January was dry, when it's usually wet. Feb should have been better, but it seems the rainy season is moving further out in the year. No one expected a typhoon type rain system stalled over FP.

We didn't expect picture perfect days everyday, just not 12 days in a row of clouds and rain.

The rain did stop during the day for most snorkeling and motto picnic action (we did all independent tours). But everyone still had the best time possible and joked about sending back black and white pictures to those folks at home. A rainy day in Tahiti is still better than a rainy day at home!

If you have an opportunity come to FP, take it now, you never know what tomorrow may bring. No regrets for coming in Feb, at least there are no crowds.

Well said.We disembarked on February 3rd this year.We also knew it was rainy season,but went prepared.Sun in the mornings and rain in the afternoon and overnight.

It was good not to have blazing sun all day everyday.

On the Private Bora Bora tour, after lunch, it was bucketing down as we sailed back but we had a great sing song with the boat owner and his skipper,both playing ukuleles.Totally drenched.But we had fun.Happiness doesn’t have to be all hot sun and perfect hair do’s...

We went in Jan/Feb about 3 years ago and the weather was perfect. Great time with very little or no rain.

I'm glad you were lucky. That doesn't change the fact that those months are typically rainy and humid.

That would be the difference between "climate" and "weather". You know, like some times we have warm days in NYC in the winter, but it's still winter.

Well said.We disembarked on February 3rd this year.We also knew it was rainy season,but went prepared.Sun in the mornings and rain in the afternoon and overnight.

It was good not to have blazing sun all day everyday.

On the Private Bora Bora tour, after lunch, it was bucketing down as we sailed back but we had a great sing song with the boat owner and his skipper,both playing ukuleles.Totally drenched.But we had fun.Happiness doesn’t have to be all hot sun and perfect hair do’s...

Totally agree. I live in a place that it's sunny almost every day of the year and basically no rain. I don't need that either, it was more important to me that the water was warm enough for us to swim in (I have thin blood now!) I just prefer calm seas to rough and windy. We will have a great time no matter what! :)

Average precipitation in Papeete in February is 11.4 in. Average max temp is 86 F. I am looking out the window at several feet of snow (painfully shovelled on a pretty much daily basis this winter) and remembering the rainy season vacation we once spent in French Polynesia. French Polynesia was better.

Oceania would not be sending ships to that region if chances of relatively decent weather were not possible.

I was also in Alaska this April/May and enjoyed incredible weather (I only suffered from the food because it was HAL and not Oceania :)).

Please don't imply that people are stupid for travelling when and where they chose, MarkieMarkNYC. It just isn't nice.

I did no such thing.

But your post does make me wonder about your literacy proficiency.

Be nice. No need for that here. Even though it may rain more in our winter it also rains in the summer months. If you are unlucky to catch those days ( and you can have 3 or 4 in a row) it is no different than the rainy season. Rain is rain no matter what month it falls.

Be nice. No need for that here. Even though it may rain more in our winter it also rains in the summer months. If you are unlucky to catch those days ( and you can have 3 or 4 in a row) it is no different than the rainy season. Rain is rain no matter what month it falls.

Hmm, maybe burm had a point...

We're on the same cruise as you....hopefully we'll meet on board. We're coming from Milwaukee with a local radio station group. So there will be a lot of us beer, brat and "cheeseheads" on board.

I'm Mary and hubby is Abs

Mary & Abs

We are in the same group as you. First time traveling with this group and first time cruiser. Really looking forward to this trip as this is the first year of my wife's retirement. All I know is that high 80's and rain is better than 20s and snow.

Fakarava and Nuku Hiva have had beautiful weather Wednesday and today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Excellent, thanks everyone for the updates. The weather reports certainly do look better going forward. Whatever it is, we will all have a good time! Anyone on the Air France flight 2/24 from LAX, gets in 2/25 6AM? We are coming from Las Vegas. So excited!

I have been avidly reading this thread as we are booked on the 12 day roundtrip Papeete cruise leaving February 10, 2019. I will confess that I had no idea it was the rainy season until reading this thread. Like you MarkieMark, I live in NY, specifically LI. We have beautiful beaches here and therefore choose not to travel during our summers. I would certainly consider doing this trip in the Fall but O does not sail here any time but the first few months of the year and next year not in March at all (except for a much longer journey). I do not like the mega ships and the other smaller cruise lines are much more expensive. I am so torn now on whether to shelve this bucket list trip for a few more years or throw the dice and hope next years February weather will be decent. Anyone have a crystal ball I can consult? [emoji13]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been avidly reading this thread as we are booked on the 12 day roundtrip Papeete cruise leaving February 10, 2019. I will confess that I had no idea it was the rainy season until reading this thread. Like you MarkieMark, I live in NY, specifically LI. We have beautiful beaches here and therefore choose not to travel during our summers. I would certainly consider doing this trip in the Fall but O does not sail here any time but the first few months of the year and next year not in March at all (except for a much longer journey). I do not like the mega ships and the other smaller cruise lines are much more expensive. I am so torn now on whether to shelve this bucket list trip for a few more years or throw the dice and hope next years February weather will be decent. Anyone have a crystal ball I can consult? [emoji13]

Long Island does has some incredible beaches - you're fortunate to live near them!

Everyone is different, but I would personally choose to visit Tahiti when your chance of sunny weather is optimal. If you are a snorkeler, you will find some of the best snorkeling there. Needless to say, snorkeling on a sunny day is far better than on a cloudy one. If you don't like humidity (I hate it), you will find the air to be much more comfortable during the North American summer months.

Getting to Tahiti is a pain, and so why not increase your chances of great weather?

If you really want to visit Tahiti on a cruise, I would suggest Paul Gauguin. They have sailings during those months and the ship is more intimate than the mega-lines.

Mine says go and have a great time.

Mary & Abs

We are in the same group as you. First time traveling with this group and first time cruiser. Really looking forward to this trip as this is the first year of my wife's retirement. All I know is that high 80's and rain is better than 20s and snow.

I'm looking forward to meeting you, along with LindaLiz (another who is with the Belling group) who posted on the Roll Call Forum.